Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, im new to the page but im running out of ideas. I recently did a cam swamp from my 5.7 Hemi. Installed a Texas stage 2 cam, new lifters, pushrods, springs, Long tube headers and high flow cats. The car sound excellent, for a half minute. Then i lose the idle and it dies out. Current idle is at about 1000 when I track it through the diablo tuner I purchased. I am not getting any warning lights, error codes nothing to suggest that anything was missed or came lose. Has anyone run into a similar issue on a similar project. I did notice that when I increased the idle rpm through the tuner, I was able to get it to run for two minutes before it died out. I emailed Hemifever about maybe having him do an email tune but he says that the 5.7s have a very limited fuel tuning ability. Any suggestion would be great, thank you

·
Premium Member
2011 R/T 6M Bright White, 590whp 490wtq, Whipple 10psi, 274 cam, 1 7/8 LT headers, 429 gears
1,528 Posts
Hey everyone, im new to the page but im running out of ideas. I recently did a cam swamp from my 5.7 Hemi. Installed a Texas stage 2 cam, new lifters, pushrods, springs, Long tube headers and high flow cats. The car sound excellent, for a half minute. Then i lose the idle and it dies out. Current idle is at about 1000 when I track it through the diablo tuner I purchased. I am not getting any warning lights, error codes nothing to suggest that anything was missed or came lose. Has anyone run into a similar issue on a similar project. I did notice that when I increased the idle rpm through the tuner, I was able to get it to run for two minutes before it died out. I emailed Hemifever about maybe having him do an email tune but he says that the 5.7s have a very limited fuel tuning ability. Any suggestion would be great, thank you
You have to have a complete tune done. You can't just put a cam in and go. I assume you used the phase limiter? Just as a start you will need the idle tables adjusted, speed density tables adjusted, and NN needs to be turned off.

·
Super Moderator
17,921 Posts
yes - any time you go to an aftermarket cam - it will not idle. It will try to "settle down" to curb idle and die.

and the cam phaser being limited or locked will also throw things off as well.

Completely new tune needs to be built

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had mine dyno tunned same problem still wants to die espcially if i am reversing to park or netural to drive. Not getting the hp i should be getting with hrt stage 2 cam. I think its the ebay lifters i put in. Bought hellcat lifters from mmx but gonna cost me 1,500 to install expensive. How much hp did you gain @njmopar94 ? Be glad u dont live in cali very hard to find anyone who will mod challengers or dyno them

·
Premium Member
2011 R/T 6M Bright White, 590whp 490wtq, Whipple 10psi, 274 cam, 1 7/8 LT headers, 429 gears
1,528 Posts
I had mine dyno tunned same problem still wants to die espcially if i am reversing to park or netural to drive. Not getting the hp i should be getting with hrt stage 2 cam. I think its the ebay lifters i put in. Bought hellcat lifters from mmx but gonna cost me 1,500 to install expensive. How much hp did you gain @njmopar94 ? Be glad u dont live in cali very hard to find anyone who will mod challengers or dyno them
If your lifters are to spec they won't cause a loss in HP. There would have to be some major issues for your lifters to cause any losses in power. One would be if they are starting to collapse and that would typically be at higher RPMs. It should show up on the dyno.

What brand lifters did you buy? You say ebay but there should still be an actual manufacturer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If your lifters are to spec they won't cause a loss in HP. There would have to be some major issues for your lifters to cause any losses in power. One would be if they are starting to collapse and that would typically be at higher RPMs. It should show up on the dyno.

What brand lifters did you buy? You say ebay but there should still be an actual manufacturer.
Brand name is EngineTech and part # L5700K-16 The lifter part number i was supposed to get from compcam which there out of is # 856Y-16 with master kit. Push rods part 8721-16 .080 wall

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
Brand name is EngineTech and part # L5700K-16 The lifter part number i was supposed to get from compcam which there out of is # 856Y-16 with master kit. Push rods part 8721-16 .080 wall
The company has been around for quite some time and has good reviews. I doubt the lifters are causing any issues. I hate to see you drop all that money and end up in the same place you started. Is the shop recommending swapping the lifters out? If the shop did the job right they would have checked the lifters and the pushrods to make sure they were all in spec. If you do go ahead with the swap the upside is the hellcat lifters (standard on all Hemis now) are guaranteed to last.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The company has been around for quite some time and has good reviews. I doubt the lifters are causing any issues. I hate to see you drop all that money and end up in the same place you started. Is the shop recommending swapping the lifters out? If the shop did the job right they would have checked the lifters and the pushrods to make sure they were all in spec. If you do go ahead with the swap the upside is the hellcat lifters (standard on all Hemis now) are guaranteed to last.
I called up trackpackrt youtubers mechanic and he suggest getting a basic HP tuner which he will help guide me to set up besides swaping lifters. Said seems process is same tuning for most part

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,354 Posts
Try asking savage_speed_tuning on Instagram. He's tuned a bunch of Texas speed cammed cars. Sounds like you just need some tune work

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry Ive been off this for a bit, so I havent had access to a dyno im just doing all of this from my garage... and I havent gotten the car on the highway to see what kind of numbers im making now. Ive been working with a tuner from Diablo and they have been emailing me tunes and making adjustments to the fuel, air mixture. I have gotten the engine to IDLE and I can get the car to go around the block. Unfortunately if I try to get it past 1500 RPMS the engine will die when i take my foot off the gas. Still trying to figure this out. Nothing about my car would be legal in Cali haha, im sure its a struggle!

Try asking savage_speed_tuning on Instagram. He's tuned a bunch of Texas speed cammed cars. Sounds like you just need some tune work
Much appreciated, Ill reach out and see. The car sounds so good its killing me that I cant let it rip haha.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just wanted to post an update, I've been working with one tuner for about a month now. Ive been sending corresponding information and logs for each tune. I can get the car to idle, I can even get it out of the garage and top out at a whopping 20 mph, when i get to the end of my block, I come to a complete stop and the car dies. Ive been testing it in my driveway lately because I don't have the time to push it back. Ill bring the engine rpms between 1500- 2000 Rpms, hold it for maybe two seconds and then take my foot off the throttle, the engine dies. If I gradually release the throttle, I can keep the engine idling. Has anyone had this issue with the Texas Cams? I spoke with Savage Speed tuning and he did say the Texas cams were tricky... I might have him take a look and see what he can do. I checked the vacuum pressure, and it does show a significant change when going from the brakes to throttle. Im just unsure at this point, i know the timing chain was installed at the spec, had someone double check it with me because that was a concern. Car sounds awesome, no misses, nothing that would make me thing their is a mechanical issue.

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
Just wanted to post an update, I've been working with one tuner for about a month now. Ive been sending corresponding information and logs for each tune. I can get the car to idle, I can even get it out of the garage and top out at a whopping 20 mph, when i get to the end of my block, I come to a complete stop and the car dies. Ive been testing it in my driveway lately because I don't have the time to push it back. Ill bring the engine rpms between 1500- 2000 Rpms, hold it for maybe two seconds and then take my foot off the throttle, the engine dies. If I gradually release the throttle, I can keep the engine idling. Has anyone had this issue with the Texas Cams? I spoke with Savage Speed tuning and he did say the Texas cams were tricky... I might have him take a look and see what he can do. I checked the vacuum pressure, and it does show a significant change when going from the brakes to throttle. Im just unsure at this point, i know the timing chain was installed at the spec, had someone double check it with me because that was a concern. Car sounds awesome, no misses, nothing that would make me thing their is a mechanical issue.
I recommend you find a new Tuner. It seems that tuner is not familiar with tuning Hemi's. What you are describing is typical for most any cam install and should be easily tuned out. Are you logging AFR with a wideband? If not that is probably what Hemifever was referencing when he said the 5.7s have limited fuel tuning. It's close to impossible to get the AFR dialed in without a wideband O2 sensor and impossible to get WOT tuned properly without one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Exact same issue here. All my info is on here as well. If you figure this out please let me know!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did you ever get it fixed? Still stuck on mine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just an update i got mine fixed. Was the tune. I’ve been working with Diabltoona and his first tune got mine to where i can move the car without dying.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts