Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 R/T dash .. Ok so this is my first time ever pulling a dash, i yanked it a month or so ago in order to change airbags and re-skin it. Was intending on putting it back in the same weekend but life happens and a month later i get it back in and now i'm looking at a pair of plugs and can't for the life of me figure out where to plug em! I've pulled the gage cluster and nothing visible that i've missed there, all those plugs are in place. I"m sure this is just a DUH kinda thing but dang it's mentally taxing not being able to locate where they go. Could they be extra plugs? There are 2 white plugs as you can see in the below photos, on the driver side. They branch off from the big heavy plug on the drivers side and only have about a foot of movement but I just can't locate anything within that range that it can plug into. It also has a few connectors on the side where it looks like someone was previously using those wires to power an amplifier in the trunk. Anyone got any insight?

Gauge Auto part Steering part Tire Automotive tire
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering wheel Center console

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,426 Posts
They Plug into the back of the head-unit

Reactions: Pioneer4x4

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,703 Posts
That was my gut instinct as well as soon as I saw the shape. If they were grey and black, I would have said it for sure.

Reactions: BurninRubber

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
They almost look like the cables that plug into the OEM amp (so they would run from the headunit to the OEM amp). Not 100% sure though since I don't have any experience with the pre-2015 models.

·
Registered
13 Posts
They didn't match my head unit so i'm thinking the head unit is an aftermarket which means they may have been to the orig unit. The length of that part of the harness doesn't extend all the way to the back of the radio though. Someone below also said there may have been a factory amp and it could have been the harness between the amp and the radio.

They almost look like the cables that plug into the OEM amp (so they would run from the headunit to the OEM amp). Not 100% sure though since I don't have any experience with the pre-2015 models.
looks like an aftermarket radio that was in it so i'm assuming they probably pulled the amp if there was one. The car had previously had a sound system in the back with a lot of aftermarket wiring so i'm assuming it could be the harness you are referring to. I've got someone pulling a wiring diagram for me tomorrow so hopefully that'll help . Just have new airbag equip installed and want to get all this right the first time without triggering anymore dash lights.

·
Premium Member
9,426 Posts
They didn't match my head unit so i'm thinking the head unit is an aftermarket which means they may have been to the orig unit. The length of that part of the harness doesn't extend all the way to the back of the radio though. Someone below also said there may have been a factory amp and it could have been the harness between the amp and the radio.
They look exactly like the two plugs that plug into the back of my base audio package head-unit, color and all. But if they won’t reach to the HVAC controls area, they could be for a factory amp I guess. They would only have to reach to the area below the steering column directly behind the tilt column lever

·
Premium Member
9,426 Posts
FYI: you can use this link to retrieve your car’s build sheet:

Add your VIN onto the end and copy and paste the whole thing into a browser address bar, and make sure to capitalize all of the letters in the VIN or it won’t work.

That build sheet will list what the car’s audio package was. If base audio, no factory amp. If other than base, factory amp was present at some point when newer.

·
Premium Member
9,426 Posts
If one of those plugs has 38 pins on it, it’s likely the amp plug from the wires coming from headunit. Use this pi out to verify the plug’s operation:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FYI: you can use this link to retrieve your car’s build sheet:

Add your VIN onto the end and copy and paste the whole thing into a browser address bar, and make sure to capitalize all of the letters in the VIN or it won’t work.

That build sheet will list what the car’s audio package was. If base audio, no factory amp. If other than base, factory amp was present at some point when newer.
That link is awesome, appreciate you posting! So it shows my car had a factory amp and was cool looking at the other options as well. It was the plugs for the amp. The wiring behind it that had been cut was where someone had previously bypassed the amp and ran direct wring to the trunk. Thanks a lot!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts