Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran my IE392 auto tonnight. Air was terrible as the DA was 2735. It ran 12.90 at 106.90. Havent ran an auto on the strip in years and just trying to figure out how to make it fast.

It has much more in it with good air and me figuring out what I am doing.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
What was your 60' time?

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
ewwwwwww!! 2735 DA sucks. Mine ran a 12.7 @ 110 with a 2200 DA. With a 220 DA it ran a 12.3 @ 113.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ewwwwwww!! 2735 DA sucks. Mine ran a 12.7 @ 110 with a 2200 DA. With a 220 DA it ran a 12.3 @ 113.
How do you launch. I have always had sticks. I tried tq up to 2K and felt like a dog off the line

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
How do you launch. I have always had sticks. I tried tq up to 2K and felt like a dog off the line
It has spun no matter what I have done so far. I did get a 1.87 60ft but I was pedaling it so it would not spin. I launch at about 1500 rpms and slowly get to full throttle by 60ft or so. I also bring the tire pressure down to 26psi and it helps alot. That DA of 2700 was KILLING you. But you gotta love the 392 still getting in the 12's in that crappy air. A 6.1L would be no where near a 12 in that situation. It was most likely feeling sluggish off the line because it was really crappy air.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
12.9 in terrible air and that DA number is pretty good. It took a lot of practice for me to get the 6 speed down. I suppose it will be the same with you, practice.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
you do have to completely turn off ESP.....right?
Pressing the button 1X disables traction control but leaves stability control engaged but at a higher threshold for more aggressive driving. Pressing the button 2X disables both traction control and stability control.

Even with the button pressed 2X (supposedly totally disabled), the system will still monitor wheelspin and if it sees one tire spinning faster than the other, it will apply a bit of brake to the spinning tire. This is to keep the car tracking straighter during a burn-out.

This is according to the DVD owner's manual for the 2011 SRT8.

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
Ran my IE392 auto tonnight. Air was terrible as the DA was 2735. It ran 12.90 at 106.90. Havent ran an auto on the strip in years and just trying to figure out how to make it fast.

It has much more in it with good air and me figuring out what I am doing.
That is a terrific time for a completely stock car in such horrible D/A. These 392s are very impressive.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ran again last night. The DA was 2338 ft. I ran a 12.64 @ 113.90

Here are the numbers as I dont have a scanner

60' 1.896
1/8 8.168
1/4 12.644 @ 113.90

I just have 900 miles on the car and havent yet gave her the first oil change.

I launched at about 1600 RPM in 1st and let the car shift on its own.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
152 Posts
What does 'DA' stand for concerning air?

What does 'DA' stand for concerning air? when you are talking about being at the dragstrip

·
Registered
61 Posts
Density Altitude. From Wikipedia: Density altitude is the altitude in the International Standard Atmosphere at which the air density would be equal to the actual air density at the place of observation, or, in other words, the height when measured in terms of the density of the air rather than the distance from the ground. "Density Altitude" is the pressure altitude adjusted for non-standard temperature.
Both an increase in temperature and, to a much lesser degree, humidity will cause an increase in density altitude. Thus, in hot and humid conditions, the density altitude at a particular location may be significantly higher than the true altitude.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
The upshot is the lower the DA, the denser the air is, with more O2 content. Cold, dense air will make more HP than hot humid air. So on a night with really low DA, the car will run stronger and will post a lower ET.

Calculating DA at the same track is important when evaluating other changes to the car, like intake, tune, exhaust, etc. It's also important for bracket racers when predicting their ET at the temps drop and humidity changes over the course of the day/evening.

It's also a way to normalize ETs for the same car driven at various altitudes. A 392 run at a very high altitude track where the air is really thin will post considerably worse times than a 392 run at a low altitude track. There are formulas available to correct the ET for the DA at the track, referenced against a standard DA. Sometimes (usually) the corrected ET will go down, but sometimes it goes up too (like if the DA was negative at the track that day).

·
Registered
482 Posts
Very nice!
Too hell with the magazines.

I always thought the RT was a low 13s car stock, the 6.1 a 13 fat, and expected high to mid 12s from the 6.4 stock.

Well done.

On street tires, any 60ft in the 1.9x or lower is doing really good.
Getting into the 1.8x's on street tires in stock 4000 car is a superb job.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thanks guys for the info on DA.

This is what makes this the best forum around. :werd:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts