Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took my 2009 R/T to the strip. It's an automatic and basically stock except for a Pypes cat back system. Personally I was not pleased with my time slips. The best I could get was a 14.47. I know a lot of this could be in my driving or the track itself. I drove it with the traction control off and on. I maunally shifted it around 4,500rpm's. Only ran it through 4th gears on some runs and through 5th gear on other runs. I think the 5th gear actually helped.
For those of you with basically stock R/T's, what kind of times have your been getting?

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
I ran a 13.48 with a 2.1 60' almost stock (just MBRP catback)..Now I've run a 12.45

Why are you shifting at 4500? Thats slowing you down big time, the engine doesn't peak until about 5500. Just let the car shift itself and you'll be much quicker

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
Plus with the gears in the automatics, you should never shift out of 3rd during your run. Going into 4th and 5th is not a good idea

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
I took my wife's 300c down twice now and it will pretty much toss down 14.4's all night long.

I tried going up against the brake to 1500 to 2000 to 2300(about the highest it went) also flashed it from idle and from about 1000... 4.4 darn near every time. And that was rolling into the throttle pretty quckly since the 275/40/20's showed no signs of spinning. That also included auto stick runs and leaving it in drive.

Finally I pulled out like I was in front of a Cop...
My wife was dying in the stands... I had my seat leaned back in Bro Mode & My right arm over the passenger seat.
I pulled out on about 1/2 peddle and left it there until it shifted into 2nd... then drilled it to the floor.
14.2 ... wth???

Only got to try that part peddle one more time... for another 14.2

One thing I noticed though... was when I was using the stick... and shifting 2-3 up around 5700... it would go into 4th
Every GD time!!! Pissed me off.
Even did it on the quicker 14.2 times... it was in 4th the last 1/3 of the track.

I think the Challengers have a better gear than the 300c though... isn't it 3.08 vs 2.8something
But why was it going into 4th?
Only thing I could think of was that maybe it was hitting a failsafe shift to 3rd right as I hit the lever, and double shifted straight to 4th

·
Registered
232 Posts
Get a CAI, 180 stat and a diablo predator. Lower fan settings, firm up shifts and install 91 CAI tune. It will WAKE up the car. At the track, drop rear tire pressure to 24 psi, put 40 psi in front and turn esp off and put it in auto stick thereby letting the pcm do the shifting for you. Doing that will have you going through the traps in 3rd. Leave at 1500 rpms on the last yellow you see. You will crack 13's. Don't have high rpms out of the box! You will just spin/lose traction and get ****ty 60 ft times. Your goal is less than 2 second 60 ft times.
Enjoy!

Stevo

·
Registered
327 Posts
Let the car shift itself, 4500 rpm shift is way low. Should never get into 4th or 5th in a 1/4 mile run. Car should run 13's without a problem. Pure stock 09 R/T Classic, 13.2, Byron Il.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
11,033 Posts
I maunally shifted it around 4,500rpm's.
Not sure why you would shift it at 4,500 rpm's ? the car is still building power. You can just leave the car in drive and let it shift itself and it will rev out to about 5,800 rpm before it shifts. That along with a decent launch should put you into the 13's.

By the way I've tried racing with it in manual mode and letting it shift and just putting the car in Drive and letting it shift and I'm not sure there is much if any difference. In fact I got the faster time by leaving it in drive although not by much.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only thing that you have done is a cat back system? I was shifting around 4500 but by the time it actually did the shift it was around 5300. The response time is really slow for the trans. I will have to try just letting it shift itself but just doing some interstate ramp floor mashing I don't think I have ever seen it go past 4000 before shifting by itself.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I consider 2.0 or 2.1 about as good as it gets with Rsa's and auto stick.I've seen 6-speeds do worse, even with F1's.Thermostat is a must,any engine will heat soak and lose HP if too warm.A K&N drop in is another must,the design of the RT airbox pulls outside air from the fender well, and some of the best times show a K&N rather then some high dollar aftermarket piece.Looking cool under the hood doesn't win races.Exhaust is a matter of choice, not necessary to spend over a $1000 for a full catback. 2.25" stock piping will support 500hp and too large will kill low end torque.It's not that you need back pressure, thats an old wives tale,you do need the scavenging effect of the high exhaust flow rate.Also don't need a super loud exhaust, The suitcase is a terrible design , dont have the faintest idea why the engineers used that rather than the system used on the 6-speeds. I just did the resonator delete, Auto stick sounds great, mds at low speed sounds like crap, thank goodness I can turn it off with my Predator.These recommendatios are for mildly modified Challengers, power adders or cam ,heads would require another set of parameters.FWIW I improved .8 in the 1/8th over my baseline stock run. I won 22/24 races when I had an opponent. Have run 14 straight 2.0 or 2.1 60's on these crappy GY Rsa's.If you are not spinning when launching doesn't matter if Esp is on or off.Off just allows you to spin more than with it on.Lack of traction doesn't win races either.You might ask that 2011 392 6-speed that I had 10 carlengths on, before he moved, then surrendered and idled to the finish line.I will be adding a ported TB from Fastman next week. Dan is taking a short vacation till Friday and that's when mine will done. I will be doing my own custom tuning using the 93cai tune for a base.Using track results as a measurement of progress.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
11,033 Posts
The response time is really slow for the trans. I will have to try just letting it shift itself but just doing some interstate ramp floor mashing I don't think I have ever seen it go past 4000 before shifting by itself.
If you are running wide open throttle and have the car in first your car should shift itself around 5,800 rpm if thats not happening then you might have a problem. It shouldn't matter if you have it in manual mode or just in drive, it should be shifting at a much higher rpm than what you seem to be getting.

If the car isn't holdiing in gear when at WOT past 4,000 rpm I'd say there was a problem and would get the dealership to check it out.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Just stomping on it should shift at 5800, possibly squeal a bit then to, if your car is shifting at or below 4000, with the peddle on the floor, there is problem.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Yeah, these 5.7L HEMIs are interesting in that they seem to make the majority of their power higher up in the power band. Need to really get up to that redline to get max power. Almost like some VTEC or something, need to keep it on boil.

Personally, the low redline drives me nuts. I'm used to a higher red line, and have hit my Rev limiter a few times already.

In the autos, when you put it in manual mode, does it upshift automatically? My G35 would sit there and bounce off the rev limiter all day if you let it, no auto upshift. What about the R/Ts?

·
Registered
490 Posts
They auto shift, but this can be changed with a predator so I hear.

·
Registered
low 14's at 100ish
7 Posts
r/t quarter mile

I have a stock mopar 10 (5.7 cold air intake and stock exhaust, auto) I did 20+ runs on street legal drag night, most of the runs were 14.1-14.2 at 100 MPH or slightly over (100.1, 100.3, etc) ran best with trac control on, put the autostick in 1 and let it shift itself. A few runs went 14.3-4 at 99. It was my first time ever at a drag strip. When we were staged I brake torqued it a little, maybe 1000-1200 rpm. I think the car ran very consistently. Temp was about 55-60. Stock tires (Eagle F1's) at 40 PSI. I tried letting it sit with hood up and cooling off,, didnt make a difference. Mostly my reactions were inconsistent, red lighted a couple times, but it was really fun. :)

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
11,033 Posts
I have a stock mopar 10 (5.7 cold air intake and stock exhaust, auto) I did 20+ runs on street legal drag night, most of the runs were 14.1-14.2 at 100 MPH or slightly over (100.1, 100.3, etc) ran best with trac control on, put the autostick in 1 and let it shift itself. A few runs went 14.3-4 at 99. It was my first time ever at a drag strip. When we were staged I brake torqued it a little, maybe 1000-1200 rpm. I think the car ran very consistently. Temp was about 55-60. Stock tires (Eagle F1's) at 40 PSI. I tried letting it sit with hood up and cooling off,, didnt make a difference. Mostly my reactions were inconsistent, red lighted a couple times, but it was really fun. :)
I think most RT's should be capable of 13's right out of the box and you are close so I think with some practice you will probably make it. You don't list your 60' time, getting a good launch is important and if you get on it too hard out of the hole you are just wasting time spinning. Not saying you are having that problem, just that it's a possibility.

Elevation can also be a big factor. A lot of the really good times on this site come from low elevation places like Florida and Strips like Atco NJ that are know for good times. So if you are from one of the Rocky Mountain states you will have a much more difficult time posting great numbers. Different strips also offer different conditions which may influence one's time, I race on a track with a slight up hill grade, times would no doubt be better if the opposite was true.

I recommend getting a Diablo Predator, put in either the 91 or 93 tune get some good gas, turn up the shift firmness and get that puppy awake. :browsmiley:
Good luck I see 13's in your future.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
I had my Mopar'10 down at the track this past weekend... (Maple Grove, PA)
1st time since it crossed the 3750miles some folks believe to be an important milestone.

Anyway ran a 13.7 @ 103... bone stock 6sp Mopar'10, running against the wife who ran a 13.9 in her stock 300c
Only got 2 runs b4 the rains ruined the day... and won't get to go back until Nov 5th :(
I'm pretty sure there is some more in it, as I didn't really think it was that clean of a run.
They do seem to like air in the 60's,,, best it did this summer in the 70's was 14.1 @ 100

60' __- 2.173
330 _ - 5.891
1/8 _ - 8.891 @ 82.19
1000 - 11.515
1/4 _- 13.703 @ 103.31

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Yeah, these 5.7L HEMIs are interesting in that they seem to make the majority of their power higher up in the power band. Need to really get up to that redline to get max power. Almost like some VTEC or something, need to keep it on boil.

Personally, the low redline drives me nuts. I'm used to a higher red line, and have hit my Rev limiter a few times already.

In the autos, when you put it in manual mode, does it upshift automatically? My G35 would sit there and bounce off the rev limiter all day if you let it, no auto upshift. What about the R/Ts?

Hi, The R/T will shift at the set 'redline' point when in Drive or Auto Stick 1 - 5.
The Predator tune will let you 'firm up' those shifts and set them a little higher though not in the 'fedline' tach. So, pretty much, you can't screw up an R/T by holding it to the floor in any gear, Drive or auto. It's just the Predator tune (93 if you can get it) will definitely shift quicker and more positive for faster times.

Since I've had mine supercharged/intercooled, fuel system upgrade and dynoed, I won't even begin to say what mine will do. The point is these 5.7 Hemi's can handle a lot of HP with no reliability problems. (esp if you get the upgrades from SpeedFactory Cars in Atlanta - 3 year/36 month warranty = runs flawlessly).
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Mine upshifts 1-2 at 5700 in drive or autostick.2-3 will pull to 6200 in autostick and 3 will pull hard to 125mph or 6200. My dyno was done in 3rd gear and pulled all the way to 6200. 9 days ago I ran a PB of 2.02 60ft, [email protected] DA was 1895. I'm chasing a 12 second 1/4 mile on RSA's.As I don't think anyone has done it without a power adder , sticky tires or what have you.

·
Registered
low 14's at 100ish
7 Posts
Most of my 60' times were from 2.1xx-2.4xx. Had not thought about taking it easy on takeoff for traction. Didnt have alot of spin in the first place, but I suppose any spin means your not moving! Thanks for the tip. Gained much respect for professionals, always more to racing than meets the eye. Had one reaction of .020, giggled about that one.

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
When mine was NA stock, My PB went to 12:64. On 555r Nittos. Very best. Took removing the cats totally, Edge TC, Trinity and 93 tune, 170 stat, Catch Can. I could only get 2.1 60ft with the tires. My 12 sec club posted slip.
Once Vortech V-3 and slicks. A new PB posted and in my signature.
FlatTop

1 - 20 of 29 Posts