Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still new with this car and have often wondered about the occasional 'trouble' getting into 2nd gear -especially when cold - seems as though the car wants to go from 1st to 4th - then i see this on the EVIC [1 > 4 Shift] - and have read recently about this as a factory setting to optimize fuel economy.

I guess my question is - is this a setting that can be deactivated? It's rather annoying. Could also just be the tranny giving me a hard time...

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

5,134 Posts
Yep, there is a solenoid that blocks the gates, forcing you to shift 1-4 when the conditions are right. There are two ways to turn it off:

1. Get a skip-shift eliminator

2. Get a Predator programmer and load up a tune

Google

·
Registered
2021 Charger SPWB
4,095 Posts
Skip Shift Eliminator

The skip shift function kicks in when you go slowly in 1st gear up to about 20 mph at which point it does not allow you to shift anywhere except 4th. Do a search here for "skip shift eliminator" and you will find tons of info on it. I picked one up on e-Bay for $12 or so and haven't even bothered to install it yet. The way I drive I'll probably never need it but I will put it on one day just in case.

Reactions: Roadrunner guy

·
Registered
551 Posts
I bought a skip shift eliminator from Speed, Inc. for $18.00. Total plug 'n play module. It took longer to get the car up on the jackstands than it did to install the pigtail. One year and 16,000+ miles - absolutely no issues. The skip shift crap just disappeared.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
The way I drive I'll probably never need it.
I've driven 700 miles so far and have experienced the dreaded "skip shift" only twice. I'm sure partly because I VERY rarely am driving in "city traffic" where its stop and go all the time at very low speeds.

The SRT Engineers commented that if you are experiencing skip shift its because you are not driving fast enough. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
My solution didn't cost anything: drive it like you stole it.

I've had the skip shift activate several times already, and it's always when I'm being lazy and dogging around. Then it bogs down in 4th and I'm PO'd at myself for not paying attention. When I drive normally, I don't get it.

·
Registered
2009 R/T
1,371 Posts
It doesn't make you shift to 4th or prevent you from going to any other except 2nd. If you wait a moment the 2nd gear blocking solenoid will disengae or go to 3rd. Best solution as mentiond...skip shift elininator

5,134 Posts
It doesn't make you shift to 4th or prevent you from going to any other except 2nd.
I've always been a 1-3 shifter and when I had the skip shift activate on me, never once could I shift into third.

·
Registered
2009 R/T
1,371 Posts
I've always been a 1-3 shifter and when I had the skip shift activate on me, never once could I shift into third.
That's really strange because I always did and the solenoid is only blocking 2nd gear.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My solution didn't cost anything: drive it like you stole it.

I've had the skip shift activate several times already, and it's always when I'm being lazy and dogging around. Then it bogs down in 4th and I'm PO'd at myself for not paying attention. When I drive normally, I don't get it.
Thanks for all the info! I usually get this in the mornings when first leaving the house - cant drive over 18 mph in my community so this explains the issue and why it happens when driving slowly.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
If it happens even once, its worth spending $20 to eliminate the "skip-shift"....like others have said, its a simple plug & play install:bigthumb:

Reactions: Roadrunner guy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for all the comments I thought something was wrong with the vehicle. Looks like I go from 1 to 3 or just drive like I stole it to eliminate this. Awesome forum.

·
Premium Member
10,688 Posts
Thanks for all the comments I thought something was wrong with the vehicle. Looks like I go from 1 to 3 or just drive like I stole it to eliminate this. Awesome forum.
Buy and install a skip shift eliminator and forever not think about it again.

·
Premium Member
10,688 Posts
Speedlogix is a vendor here, that’s where most of us bought it. It was about $20 in 2012. Can’t be much more now.

Reactions: Speedlogix-Sales

·
Registered
16,983 Posts
Yeah just drive harder, you must shifting out of first at 2000 rpm, raise it to 2500 or more and you'll never see the skip shift.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
750 Posts
Or you can short shift it into second at 15 MPH

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah just drive harder, you must shifting out of first at 2000 rpm, raise it to 2500 or more and you'll never see the skip shift.

I see the concept but at the same point I don't want to be able to only shift from 1 to 4th **** that. I would rather just be free to do it myself. I am going to get that part.

·
Registered
16,983 Posts
I see the concept but at the same point I don't want to be able to only shift from 1 to 4th **** that. I would rather just be free to do it myself. I am going to get that part.
No problem but the 1-4 only activates at exactly 2000 rpm so easy to drive around it.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
29,022 Posts
Speedlogix was a vendor here, that’s where most of us bought it. It was about $20 in 2012. Can’t be much more now.
Fixed that for you ;) Not been a vendor here for at least 8 months. Still members though

A Guy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts