Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This showed up for a brief second the other day on my dash, i assumed it was referring to the 1-4 shift pattern; I have the skip shift eliminator installed, so figured this triggered it.

Anyone seen this before?

·
Banned
675 Posts
I had it show up on my vehicle, I don't have the skip shift eliminator kit. I thought the SSE kit was supposed to not make that 1-4 display on your dash.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
it will still display on the dash, but won't activate

·
Registered
119 Posts
Does installing the SSE have any warranty implications? I have one that I bought on ebay but haven't got it installed yet. The car is in storage and I can't really get at it to do that until it comes out.

·
Banned
675 Posts
Since we are on topic, I don't have the SSE Kit, I've only seen my 1-4 code display one time. What exactly does it mean when it displays?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Since we are on topic, I don't have the SSE Kit, I've only seen my 1-4 code display one time. What exactly does it mean when it displays?
That 2nd and 3rd are locked out and you should only have 4th gear available (never tried 5th or 6th).

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
The 1-4 display is an indicator that shifting first to second is disabled -- forcing you to shift from first to fourth.

"The skip shift functions by a lockout on the second gear gate. So if you're shifting out of first gear under a very specific set of conditions (throttle, engine, rpm), the lockout is activated by a solenoid, forcing the gearstick to go into fourth gear gate instead of second gear."

It's very annoying when you're pulling into traffic where staying in first is unreasonable, but fourth is also unreasonable because of speed conditions of the roadway. I have the eliminator installed because there are a lot of times I need second, not fourth, and first will spin me (or dog me down from slippage).

The 1-4 will continue to display as that's the computer acting based on the condition and the eliminator acts only at the solenoid wiring. :)

·
Banned
675 Posts
The 1-4 display is an indicator that shifting first to second is disabled -- forcing you to shift from first to fourth.

"The skip shift functions by a lockout on the second gear gate. So if you're shifting out of first gear under a very specific set of conditions (throttle, engine, rpm), the lockout is activated by a solenoid, forcing the gearstick to go into fourth gear gate instead of second gear."

It's very annoying when you're pulling into traffic where staying in first is unreasonable, but fourth is also unreasonable because of speed conditions of the roadway. I have the eliminator installed because there are a lot of times I need second, not fourth, and first will spin me (or dog me down from slippage).

The 1-4 will continue to display as that's the computer acting based on the condition and the eliminator acts only at the solenoid wiring. :)
What a hassle, I'm going to look into getting one. The 1-4 has only happened once to me, but I don't want it to distract with normal driving.

·
Super Moderator
15,972 Posts
Does installing the SSE have any warranty implications?
Should not be an issue - if you have the correct value (otherwise it will trip the MIL and store a code), all the SSE is doing is presenting the resistive load in the circuit the PCM expects, but the solenoid is disabled. It appears the value changed for 2010 models from how it was for 2009s. If the value isn't right it would set MIL. If the value is correct, you won't notice any change, except the skip-shift function is gone.

Under heavier acceleration, the PCM would not allow skip-shift to function, and you can shift to 2nd, 3rd, and so forth which would be normal usage.

·
Registered
52 Posts
When I feel my transmission "forcing me" from 1st into 4th gear, i just do a quick double clutch , and it goes into 2nd- no problem.

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
When I feel my transmission "forcing me" from 1st into 4th gear, i just do a quick double clutch , and it goes into 2nd- no problem.
I just move my hand towards 4th then push it right back up into 3rd...
Which is what they should have done in the 1st place if they wanted to skip a gear.
Straight to 4th all but kills it.... especially when going up a hill.

Another cure is to just pull out in 2nd ... car won't even notice.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
That 2nd and 3rd are locked out and you should only have 4th gear available (never tried 5th or 6th).
Only second is locked out. 3rd is still available, or at least that is how it is in Camaros and Vettes which have the same transmission

·
Registered
352 Posts
Only second is locked out. 3rd is still available, or at least that is how it is in Camaros and Vettes which have the same transmission
On the rare occation I've had the skip trigger, I go to third, but you do kinda have to "jiggle" it a little before it will go to third. But the way I drive, it's only triggered a few times (ya gotta push that pedal down!:thumbsup:)

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
... and there's no way to disable this thing through EVIC? Or even have the dealer do it?
You either need to order a skip shift eliminator which you literally plug into your transmission, or buy a Predator DiabloSport tuner and remove the 1-4 shift that way.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You either need to order a skip shift eliminator which you literally plug into your transmission, or buy a Predator DiabloSport tuner and remove the 1-4 shift that way.
Good to know, I'm planning on buying one of those tuners, but they're still not out for the 2011s yet are they?

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Good to know, I'm planning on buying one of those tuners, but they're still not out for the 2011s yet are they?
I don't think they make them for the 2011 yet. Hey did you finally get your car? LOL

·
Registered
254 Posts
I don't think they make them for the 2011 yet. Hey did you finally get your car? LOL
Nope :(

Apparently it's getting the air dam & stripes at the moment.

Probably still looking at 3 weeks before it shows up.

Bleargh.

I'm running round in circles and asking stupid questions about which wheels to get right now.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Nope :(

Apparently it's getting the air dam & stripes at the moment.

Probably still looking at 3 weeks before it shows up.

Bleargh.

I'm running round in circles and asking stupid questions about which wheels to get right now.
I hear ya man. The wait must be crazy, I have no patience for things like this. Sounds like you are making some good choices with parts. Are you thinking of not using your Classic wheels? I think they really set the car off. They aren't cragers but they look like them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts