Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1--4 ????

8K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  robroy 
#1 ·
This showed up for a brief second the other day on my dash, i assumed it was referring to the 1-4 shift pattern; I have the skip shift eliminator installed, so figured this triggered it.

Anyone seen this before?

#2 ·
I had it show up on my vehicle, I don't have the skip shift eliminator kit. I thought the SSE kit was supposed to not make that 1-4 display on your dash.

#3 ·
it will still display on the dash, but won't activate

#9 ·
Does installing the SSE have any warranty implications?
Should not be an issue - if you have the correct value (otherwise it will trip the MIL and store a code), all the SSE is doing is presenting the resistive load in the circuit the PCM expects, but the solenoid is disabled. It appears the value changed for 2010 models from how it was for 2009s. If the value isn't right it would set MIL. If the value is correct, you won't notice any change, except the skip-shift function is gone.

Under heavier acceleration, the PCM would not allow skip-shift to function, and you can shift to 2nd, 3rd, and so forth which would be normal usage.

#5 ·
Since we are on topic, I don't have the SSE Kit, I've only seen my 1-4 code display one time. What exactly does it mean when it displays?

#7 ·
The 1-4 display is an indicator that shifting first to second is disabled -- forcing you to shift from first to fourth.

"The skip shift functions by a lockout on the second gear gate. So if you're shifting out of first gear under a very specific set of conditions (throttle, engine, rpm), the lockout is activated by a solenoid, forcing the gearstick to go into fourth gear gate instead of second gear."

It's very annoying when you're pulling into traffic where staying in first is unreasonable, but fourth is also unreasonable because of speed conditions of the roadway. I have the eliminator installed because there are a lot of times I need second, not fourth, and first will spin me (or dog me down from slippage).

The 1-4 will continue to display as that's the computer acting based on the condition and the eliminator acts only at the solenoid wiring. :)

#8 ·
What a hassle, I'm going to look into getting one. The 1-4 has only happened once to me, but I don't want it to distract with normal driving.

#12 ·
I just move my hand towards 4th then push it right back up into 3rd...
Which is what they should have done in the 1st place if they wanted to skip a gear.
Straight to 4th all but kills it.... especially when going up a hill.

Another cure is to just pull out in 2nd ... car won't even notice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.