Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a R/T with 3.92 Gears. I have Full Cat back, mopar intake and a email tune. I currently have my limiter set at 6,100 and make my shifts at 6K. I know a stock 5.7 falls on its face after 5k. Anyone have good experiance with the 6speed? Should I be shifting at like 5,500?

·
Registered
197 Posts
ive been wondering the same myself...mine just has some mufflers, no resonators, and a cold air.. im used to my 3v mustang that you can spin 6500-6800 all day..

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Unless you change the cams and heads - the engine will still fall on its face >5500. All of your mods will increase power within the factory RPM band and will not appreciably extend/increase power above it. So shift where you feel the engine nosing over - which is probably around 5500 but make some passes shifting at 5000, 5500 and 6000 and see what your time slips say.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
the engine will still fall on its face >5500.

Because I'm old school, I listen to the mill before I shift . (Big Mistake )
I hit the rev limiter more times than Id care to say but my 5.7 pulls and
pulls hard all the way until I do so, somewhere around 6200 rpms.
One time I hit the rev limiter in the first 3 gears.

Am I missing something here or did I just get Lucky from the factory.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
If I want to spin them into 2nd and chirp them into third I shift around 5200. I'm assuming that drops you in the peak of the torque curve in the next gear.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,806 Posts
Same Here

the engine will still fall on its face >5500.

Because I'm old school, I listen to the mill before I shift . (Big Mistake )
I hit the rev limiter more times than Id care to say but my 5.7 pulls and
pulls hard all the way until I do so, somewhere around 6200 rpms.
One time I hit the rev limiter in the first 3 gears.

Am I missing something here or did I just get Lucky from the factory.

I do the same thing, the launch is the hardest part, its just too much fun to have the ass end go sideways and then chirp 2nd and 3rd

·
Registered
65 Posts
What your neighbor does will not necessarily work for you. Start at let’s say 5k and work up at 100rpm increments making sure each launch is identical. Then if you make any changes like tire pressure or new air filter etc. Repeat as necessary. As said earlier keep an eye on the time slip, it doesn't lie.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
There is really only one way to be consistant with a 6-speed you need a shift light (ever see a SuperStock without one?) Set it at 5500RPM gives you 200RPM to react before the engine hits rev-limit only way to catch that 2-3 shift, if you let it hit limiter THEN hit the clutch you kill spark a second time as that's what both do. But when it does happen it sounds like Steve McQueen double clutch shifting in "Bullitt"! ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts