Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the front wheels and there were plenty of material left on the pads... didn't remove the rear. Told me labor was $300 Parts were $1,400.
I DO NOT DRIVE THIS VEHICLE HARD.

I told them I would be there to pick up my vehicle... It is a leased vehicle that is due back in 11 months (July 2020).
Any recommendations on O.E.M. replacement parts websites/stores (Michigan) will be appreciated. I can do the work myself.

Thanks

·
Registered
10,149 Posts
Doesn't sound like you need either, so why bother?

It's a lease car, just drive it til you turn it in.

Reactions: Fawls

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,839 Posts
Do you know what caused them to generate this estimate? Were you having problems or was it a dealership fishing for work? Or...?

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,658 Posts
I removed the front wheels and there were plenty of material left on the pads... didn't remove the rear. Told me labor was $300 Parts were $1,400.

I told them I would be there to pick up my vehicle... It is a leased vehicle that is due back in 11 months (July 2020).
Any recommendations on O.E.M. replacement parts websites/stores (Michigan) will be appreciated. I can do the work myself.

Thanks
fyrdude asks the right questions. Absent a wear sensor warning light on or absent any signs of excessive brake wear -- a "big" lip around the rotor outer diameter or pads backing plates getting dangerously close to the rotors why did you have the car in for a brake hardware replacement estimate?

Even if the brakes need doing, I don't think you can chose to not do this. With a leased car I don't think you can drive the car on worn out brakes. Even if you don't care about the car in this regard I think you would care about your safety, those of your passengers and people that share the road with you.

As for how you drive the vehicle...

One might be surprised at what it takes to slow 4000+ lb car. And braking "easy" can be harder on brakes that one might believe.

What can happen is the slow roll up to a stop with the brakes applied heats the hardware up and keeps the hardware hotter longer and the pads in contact with the rotors longer. Heat is the enemy of brake hardware. This equals more wear.

A slightly more aggressive braking action -- while still of course maintaining suitable control of the car and not in any way causing any upset to any vehicles in the vicinity of your car -- can shed speed then give the brakes time to cool some with the pads not in contact with the rotors.

·
Registered
413 Posts

Thanks
You are a BAD story teller! How did you get from YOU removing the front wheels with plenty of pad..................to..............the Dealer wants to rape you cuz u need brakes????

Why did you go to the dealer if you saw your brakes were fine???

Why were they looking at the brakes?

How many miles on your car?

Are you a "last second stopper"? (fly up to stop sign and hit the brakes) (people think you are not going to stop)

Those type drivers typically need pads AND rotors every 25-30K. Everything is just shot.

The opposite of that are "easy brakers". Those people anticipate traffic and let off the gas early.....and use very little brake pressure to stop. They usually get around 100K out of brakes and only need to turn the rotors and a fresh set of pads. I fit into this category myself due to Truck Driving background.

·
Premium Member
3,051 Posts
There must be more to the story we don't know.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,441 Posts
Do you have the Dynamics package? ...
My guess no, if so, price may be too cheap. I have that, and looked it up, fronts are $700 each, on sale, plus pads and labor.
And I sure hope mine last a looooooooonnnnnnggggggg time at that price, seeing how huge they are I ass-u-me that they will last under normal light use.

Reactions: RYDOGG67

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Replaced all rotors and pads at 43K on my 4 piston 2016 Charger Scat Pack....

Rotors were shot...pads still had some life.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Replaced all rotors and pads at 43K on my 4 piston 2016 Charger Scat Pack....

Rotors were shot...pads still had some life.
Same here @ 58K.

I bought the car and the sales guy told me that they wanted to inspect the brakes b/c there was a slight pulse in the pedal. I said no problem. Next day I show up make an appt and get the car detailed.
A week later I show up and drop my car off. Dealer was to cover it with it being a contingency of me buying the car.
The service dept tried to quote me $862 and some change for 2 rotors, pads and labor for the front. Gave me the story of it's really one rotor but we like to replace them in pairs. Brake pads are ok but could be replaced and we like to do that when we put on new rotors.
I asked if they had the parts in stock and they said yes. I said let's do it but you guys are covering it. They said, we are? I said yes and explained why. They said ok, we'll check into it etc etc etc... couple hours later they called me and told me they had my car ready.

Something tells me if the service dept had realized the deal that the sales dept had set up and they were covering it I would have just needed 1 rotor. =)

·
Registered
413 Posts
And of course, 1 week later, zero feedback from the O.P. Guess we'll never know.
With such a terrible description....I felt it was a fake post.

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts

Here's a TSB I found on the Internets, just in case someone needs their rotors replaced because of the dreaded brake squeal!

·
Premium Member
11,575 Posts

For brake pads if you want a less expensive option you could always go with Powerstop pads.

All of the parts listed above are for the 4 Piston only.

- Alexis

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,441 Posts

For brake pads if you want a less expensive option you could always go with Powerstop pads.

All of the parts listed above are for the 4 Piston only.

- Alexis
Oooh, found this on your site
I didn't know that was an option for me!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yeah, unfortunately the internet is full of mouth-breathers and sh!t-heels.

·
Registered
413 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts

Thanks
Hello, mopar tech here. Allow me to share some light on how a quote comes to total price. What is the biggest factor is it's made to fit for 4 piston. Or 6 depending on your car. The next big factor is indeed labor the total repair would equal a total of 1.5 hours (it should I think not totally sure). Lastly depending if they quoted you for a rotor re surface or replacement. Hope this clear some up.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts