Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1/8 mile track time need help

6K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  chris1992 
#1 ·
I took my 2010 rt to the roxboro dragstrip Friday night for the test and tune and I can say I'm not impressed with the times I ran. Best time of the night was 8.9@81 mph. I was thinking the car should be faster then it was showing. I know on the highway its faster then that and with the mods done to the car it should have been faster. Any input would be appreciated. Car has a 5.7 with a 6.4 can Mopar cai. Kooks Lt and high flows. 3 inch Magnaflow catback with the magnapacks on it and a modified predator 93cai tune in it right now. No dyno results as of yet. The da on Friday was about 2200 with a temp around 84 and a decent amount of humidity around 80% I think. It looked like it was a slow night for everyone at the track. Oh yeah the 60ft times were around 2.3 and I'm running the stock 235/55r18 tires. I know the tires did not help but I was still expecting a bit faster times.

#2 ·
A5 or M6? You're about 1/2 second slow for an A5. Good set of DRs should net you 4 tenths as you're leaving a lot on the table in your 60' times.

#3 ·
Its an A5. Sorry forgot that part. Even with the drag radials I still think there is some time missing somewhere. Going by others on here with similar mods I should be close to 12.4-12.7 in the quarter mile. On the highway I've taken c5 better at rolling starts from 40-60 mph and beat a few newer 5.0 Stang's. Better tires a convertor and a 3.92 getrag swap are future mods I'm trying to get into the 11 second range.

#4 ·
12.4 to 12.7 is SRT territory in so so DA. It is going to take more than a cam, LTs and gears to get an R/T anywhere close to the 11s. You will need a power adder.
Your 2.3 60’ time is what is killing your 1/8th mile time.
A 1.75 to 1.80 60’ time will get a sub 8 second 1/8 mile run in a 392. The same 60’ time should get an R/T into the low 8 second range.
I run 26” DRs when I do 1/8th mile bracket racing. The shorter tire gives me a better overall gear ratio so I’m not as low in third at the 1/8th.
If you could knock off .4 seconds in your 60' time, that would drop your overall 1/8th mile time by over a half second. That is huge...

#6 · (Edited)
Heres your true DA AT 8:35 PM. The water graines were way to hi to get good times at 106.9 there was a lot of moisture in the air that your engine cant burn and that along richened your tune up. Next time try some vp109 mixed 50/50 with 91 or 93 gas this will lean down the tune and help the pcm from pulling timing especially in the heat and with the added oxygen it will help make more hp. It has always helped me as with my bone stock 2012 srt8 jeep at a race wt of 5492 lbs my time at 2595 ft DA i ran 8.34 in the 1/8 mile and 8.24 at 367 ft. I get to the track with about 2.5 gal of 91 and 5 mile out from the track i pour in 2.5 gal vp109 and by the time i get to the track the gas mix is in the fuel rails and the rest is history. Like others have said get the 60' down in the 1.90s with street tires and your on the way. With the challengers drag tires are a must.

temperature: 74 deg f 8:35 PM 7/25/14
uncorrected barometer: 29.312 Hg
humidity: 83 %
vapor pressure: 0.847 Hg
dew point: 68.597 deg f
grains: 106.9 ( water grains way to hi)
air density: 93.109 %
density altitude: 2,424.033 ft

#7 ·
I agree that you need to get the 60' down, but the 1/8 mile trap is pretty low too. I just have bolt ons with a canned tune on my R/T, and I run 12.4s@109 in +700DA..which is around 7.8-7.9@86 in the 1/8th

#9 ·
That is a really good 1/4 mile time. When you say bolt ons does that
Count a cam? Rear drags?

#11 ·
I have not had it properly tuned yet. I was playing with the tuning some with my predator. There was no pulling of timing as I data logged the runs down the track. I did add 3 gallons of 110 race fuel to the 2/3 tank of 93 octane that has been running through the car since I have owned it. I know I need better tires but things are slow going with 4 kids

#12 ·
I have not had it properly tuned yet. I was playing with the tuning some with my predator. There was no pulling of timing as I data logged the runs down the track. I did add 3 gallons of 110 race fuel to the 2/3 tank of 93 octane that has been running through the car since I have owned it. I know I need better tires but things are slow going with 4 kids
No timing pulled is a good thing so you're on the right track. Every degree you can sneak in without ST KNKs will net you about 4 HP.
Try less fuel too. 2/3 of a tank is pretty heavy. I race with 1/8th of a tank.
Less fuel and better air and it will feel like a 50 HP bump...

#13 ·
I was think right now I have the fuel on all 3 ranges that I can adjust at +10% and the spark in the low range is 5 degrees advanced 4 or 5 degrees in the midrange and 2-3 advance in the upper range

#14 ·
I'd guess an 8.9x with a 2.3 60' is about right. My 6 speed R/T would run 8.6x with a 2.0x 60' on 275/40/20 street tires. Granted, that was on a crap track. It had a CAI, canned 91 tune, SRT shorties and Flowmaster catback. Your 60' time will make or break an E.T.

You need some rubber in a bad way. If you got your 60' to a 1.9x or 2.0x I bet you'd see 8.40-8.50 E.T.s or better.

#15 ·
It should be closer to 7.9-8.1 I would think in the 1/8. Seeing what others are running with similar mods it should run close to 12.5 in the 1/4 which is about 8.0 in the 1/8. I know the lack of traction. At the start was a big problems but running on those pizza cutter wheels is all I have for now. The tuning is another issue as I'm trying to hook up with Hemifever for a custom dyno tune, which is coming here in about a month or two.

#16 ·
Those times might be possible depending on your wheel HP. 7.9-8.1 is 392 territory so you'd need in the neighborhood of 420 wheel hp to be in that range. A buddy of mine has a 392 6 speed car with a couple bolt-ons and he runs 8.0x on drag radials.

#17 ·
I only make around 350rwhp and I run 7.8-7.9s...lol

#18 · (Edited)
I've gotta call you out on that one. A stock 6.1 puts down about 350 and I know for a fact they aren't nearly that fast. Either you make more power than you think or your car weighs 3000 lbs.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#20 ·
My rt made 350whp on stock tune with headers, intake and catback. But a 7.9 or 8.0 is what 392s run. I dont believe an rt can run that good on a stock tune. Unless its perfect conditions but still pushing it

#19 · (Edited)
Last time I was on the dyno (with a 91oct canned tune), it put down 34Xrwhp...but that was also 20 minutes after running (and winning) an index race. When I had the custom tune, the best it ever put down was 358rwhp and 384rwtq on a dyno dynamics.

Race weight is around 4160..damn Brembo's and the heavy replica wheels added weight lol

*edit*
I'd also like to note that dyno numbers really don't mean much to me. That's why I have yet to be impressed by an R/T with a cam. They seem to make decent power on the rollers, but there are very few that run well at the track.

#21 ·
Well I guess my car has only been strapped onto "heart breaker" dynos! :lol:

I still doubt I'm pushing much more than 360 or so.. I only have a drop-in filter, canned tune, shorties, catless mids, catback, stall, and drag radials..and almost 127,000 miles

#22 · (Edited)
Guys, you have to realize he is cutting 1.70 60 foots! His trap speeds are pretty good for and R/T too, but they are still under 110.

#24 ·
Exactly! The 60' is the main component of running quick times..though I do wish that I had a bit more power on the back end. I've only trapped 110 maybe once or twice, but that was on the custom tune a few years back. Though I hope it becomes more of an occurrence once I get a custom tune from Mike@OST. He's been playing around with cam movements in the high rpms and has pulled quite a bit of hp out of cars by just that one change. He's tried the same thing on his stock 5.7 ram and only pulled 2-4 more hp out of it, but he also believes that he could get more out of a higher revving 5.7 (I believe the ram shifts around 5400rpm).

#23 ·
But by that logic, my SRT should run 7.60's with a stall and tires. While I'd love for that to be true, I just can't see how.

I went to our local track last night, my best was 8.70 @ 84 and thats with a 2.01 60'
Auto 6.1 with a canned tune and a C&L on 245 street tires.
One guy I know went 8.15 in a stock 6.4 6 speed with drag radials and another guy I know with a heads/cam/headers/drag radial 6.1 magnum went 7.98.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.