Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took delivery 10/4. I’m still getting to know my scat pack. It’s everything I wanted (never drove a challenger before) and then some. Been in love with them since they came out in 08 and thankful I finally get to have one.

why does it not have an under hood light? Looking at the Engine and the engineering marvel that it is…..I want to admire it. And clean it. And night time after work is done and kids have all their stuff done is my time. Weekends are for driving. Hood up blocks the garage ceiling lights. There is even a pop up switch so the car knows when the hood is open. So why, dodge, would you not put a little light under the hood?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Reminds me of a 1976 caprice that had a under hood light with a cord on a reel that was long enough to reach the rear tire area if you had to change it. It may have been magnetic too. I never used it. It was a very dim yellow light lol

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
The real reason there is no hood light, is because looking at your engine is like sex. It sounds good, feels good, but looking at it too much will make you go blind.

·
Registered
577 Posts
For the $100 it would probably add to the pricetag, and some oddball little light bulb, I'm fine with just using my portable shop lights. You always need several for several angles anyway. My other car with a hood light is totally inadequate in the dark, and annoys me that it pointlessly turns on in the daytime.

·
Premium Member
4,572 Posts
Miners head lamp. It would look cool too! :cool:

Reactions: Vader953

·
Super Moderator
17,321 Posts
Reminds me of a 1976 caprice that had a under hood light with a cord on a reel that was long enough to reach the rear tire area if you had to change it. It may have been magnetic too. I never used it. It was a very dim yellow light lol
I was about to comment that the only vehicles I recall with any OEM lighting under the hood were Chevrolets in the 70s and probably by the late 70s models, they were gone.

it may have been "just enough" to see the oil dipstick and the filler cap on the engine, but it wasn't a very bright light

·
Registered
577 Posts
As I mentioned above my 2002 Crown Vic has a miniscule yellow bulb that illuminates practically nothing. You can basically SEE the engine, barely. Pointless to have.

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger T/A 392 6 speed
213 Posts
I keep the light unplugged under the hood of my 1998 Ram SS/T. It annoys me because it's so useless.

·
Registered
2018 Pitch Black SXT
5,133 Posts
If my mechanic has to do any work under the hood of my '98 Chevy Z71 he always unplugs that light.

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T
291 Posts
If that's your biggest disappointment sounds like you bought the right car!

Only vehicle I recall that I had with a light is my 2001 Sierra. Probably hasn't worked since 2005. Not very useful when it did. Maybe now with brighter LEDs it MIGHT do something but not worth it to me to find out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If that's your biggest disappointment sounds like you bought the right car!

Only vehicle I recall that I had with a light is my 2001 Sierra. Probably hasn't worked since 2005. Not very useful when it did. Maybe now with brighter LEDs it MIGHT do something but not worth it to me to find out.
I am indeeed blown away with the scat and very impressed!!

I was about to comment that the only vehicles I recall with any OEM lighting under the hood were Chevrolets in the 70s and probably by the late 70s models, they were gone.

it may have been "just enough" to see the oil dipstick and the filler cap on the engine, but it wasn't a very bright light
My 78 amd 80 vettes had a bulb that was pretty good…not great, but good enough.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts