Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 scat pack with H&R lowering springs. I bought some 10.5 x 20 hellcat replica wheels for the rear that have a 25 mm offset. I went with 315/35/20 Continental Extreme Contact Sports for the rear. Went to have them installed and Discount Tire is telling me they rub really bad. I’ve seen people on here run this setup with no problems. Any suggestions on what to do? Guy at discount said maybe spacers but make sure they’re bolt on. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I run a basic 5x115 5mm spacer with the same set up as you on Mopar lowering springs (different tire, though) and there is a finger of clearance on the inside, just enough. I had a similar issue when I brought mine to a dealer for install... Put the rears on and said there was no space and a ton of rub..... but they didn't account for the drop in suspension while the car is lifted :cautious:. So I just installed them myself and figured out they do fit. Nevertheless, fitment is perfect. Just watch out for deep holes.... went over one and my tire actual hit the fender lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I run a basic 5x115 5mm spacer with the same set up as you on Mopar lowering springs (different tire, though) and there is a finger of clearance on the inside, just enough. I had a similar issue when I brought mine to a dealer for install... Put the rears on and said there was no space and a ton of rub..... but they didn't account for the drop in suspension while the car is lifted :cautious:. So I just installed them myself and figured out they do fit. Nevertheless, fitment is perfect. Just watch out for deep holes.... went over one and my tire actual hit the fender lol
Thanks for the feedback. They probably didn’t drop it. I was considering taking to a local shop and not a national chain to see if the results were different.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. They probably didn’t drop it. I was considering taking to a local shop and not a national chain to see if the results were different.
Whoever you bring it to next, have them bring it back down off the lift and there shouldn't be an issue. You may even be able to getaway without using spacers. Not sure if true but from what i've seen the 2015's and up seem to take a 10.5 and 315 without spacers no problem. Mine is a 2011 but I 100% needed the spacers. Good luck!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whoever you bring it to next, have them bring it back down off the lift and there shouldn't be an issue. You may even be able to getaway without using spacers. Not sure if true but from what i've seen the 2015's and up seem to take a 10.5 and 315 without spacers no problem. Mine is a 2011 but I 100% needed the spacers. Good luck!
Thanks a lot. I’m definitely gonna do that.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,617 Posts
As advised, have them set it on the wheels. Also, rubbing where? Some have had to massage the plastic fender liner with some heat when the tire touched on the inside

A Guy

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As advised, have them set it on the wheels. Also, rubbing where? Some have had to massage the plastic fender liner with some heat when the tire touched on the inside

A Guy
What’s up A Guy. So the guy at Discount Tire told be as soon as his tech put it on he knew it was too big because it sat too close to the suspension?? I’m definitely not the most mechanically inclined person in the world so all I could do was take what they told me as the end of it. I told them I know people have run similar setups with no problems and I just got shoulder shrugs. But I guarantee they didn’t drop it and didn’t count for the change in position of the suspension when on ground because that’s what they were saying the tires were too close to. The didn’t say they were too close to the fender the said setting too close to the suspension.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Yeah idk why they didn't drop the car cuz that's the only way to know, but mines lowered and there's no way to check unless on a lift or drive it

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah idk why they didn't drop the car cuz that's the only way to know, but mines lowered and there's no way to check unless on a lift or drive it

What setup are you running? I think the techs are just looking to handle things as expeditiously as possible so they can get to the next customer even if that means giving you some inaccurate or bad information. I would think they would’ve taken into account the change with the drop of the vehicle given they are a tire shop but apparently not. If in fact that is what the issue is and it sounds like that’s a good possibility.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I'm running a staggered set up 275/40r20 front 315/35r20 rear

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm running a staggered set up 275/40r20 front 315/35r20 rear

That is the exact setup that I have so hopefully I can get everything to workout. I’ll know tomorrow morning when I go back to discount tire. Unfortunately I have to deal with them because I purchased my tires & warranty through them. I’m thinking they just need to put them on and drop the car to determine

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have the same setup myself but it could be the actual tire. I had a 16 r/t and they fit perfect with az800 tire. Put the exact same tires on a 19 scat and they worked perfect until the tread was gone. Went with a different tire and they rubbed extremely bad. Once they are worn going back to the az800 or az850.

Ron

·
Registered
384 Posts
my m392 wheels are 20x11 ET24 and they fit with 315's

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have the same setup myself but it could be the actual tire. I had a 16 r/t and they fit perfect with az800 tire. Put the exact same tires on a 19 scat and they worked perfect until the tread was gone. Went with a different tire and they rubbed extremely bad. Once they are worn going back to the az800 or az850.

Ron
What tire did you switch to?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Ron
Did you end up using spacers or anything?

·
Registered
855 Posts
I'm betting it boils down to tire choice. I run a Nitto 315 on a M392 wheel, same as a post above, and while it is a 24mm offset it's pretty hard to imagine that 1mm difference is where the problem is with a 25mm offset. Any chance you could try a different tire or are you stuck with these now that they've been mounted.

Spacers SUCK......they work to get you by in a tight situation but ultimately it's always best if you can avoid them. I'd work those inner fender tight spots, if at all possible, before I'd use a spacer. I have to imagine this is all you really need to do.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
my m392 wheels are 20x11 ET24 and they fit with 315's
Is your car dropped at all? Did you need any spacers? Mine is dropped with H&r lowering springs but I don’t see how that would make as much of a difference. When people have run wider rims without an issue.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm betting it boils down to tire choice. I run a Nitto 315 on a M392 wheel, same as a post above, and while it is a 24mm offset it's pretty hard to imagine that 1mm difference is where the problem is with a 25mm offset. Any chance you could try a different tire or are you stuck with these now that they've been mounted.

Spacers SUCK......they work to get you by in a tight situation but ultimately it's always best if you can avoid them. I'd work those inner fender tight spots, if at all possible, before I'd use a spacer. I have to imagine this is all you really need to do.
I’m not stuck with the tire but I’m bringing it back today to have them look at mounting the tires on and dropping the car which they have yet to do hopefully that does the trick.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the exact same wheels and also use the Conti, but mine are 295. They just barely touch the wheel liner. The Conti's seem to run a little wide, plus they have wheel lip guards

There was another member who ran 305's and he had removed a piece of his liner to clear.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts