Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost bought a new 'stripper' silver '10 R/T yesterday, came down to $16,000 and my '06 Mini Cooper S but I would only go $15,000... There's an new '10 SRT8 nearby, basically $10G more of course. $10G will buy a lot of mods, 20" BBS wheels, etc., any opinions about if the SRT8 is worth the extra jack, especially if we're not living on the edge types like in our youth?

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
A big brake kit alone is about 5 grand (SRT8 has this....and better/lower suspension...lighter rims...better rubber...a bit stronger engine...etc)........Whats important to you??

Plenty of threads here on SRT8 vs RT....and they almost always get a bit heated....LOL

·
Registered
79 Posts
abh3,

I bought a new '10 R/T "stripper," drove it for 14 months and 15K miles. It was a great car, but when I drove a new '10 SRT there was just no comparison. I traded in the R/T and haven't looked back. The SRT is a great car, and (for me) I don't have to do any mods to get it to be the way I want it to be. And I'm like you, not living on the edges either (I'm 56). I liked my R/T, but I really love my new SRT.

DougT

·
Registered
460 Posts
Depends on your definition of "stripper". If you mean a completely base RT model with absolutely nothing extra (no leather, cheapest radio options, etc), then I'd say $10k for the SRT8 upgrade is very much worth it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The R/T is a 'J' option car w/ 'Exterior Appearance Group', not too many options at all. But I don't care for nav, media center, subwoofer, sunroof, etc. anyway, at least I don't want to pay much for that stuff! Found a 2010 SRT out west almost identical to this one for $32,995 but, of course, that includes all those discounts few get. But if mr. dealer can get in the lowish 20's (including Mini) I'll take that gas-hog off his dirty little hands...

·
Registered
157 Posts
If you don't care about the extras that come with the SRT then go with R/T and save yourself some $. If you looking for mods and high hp gains, the 6.1 is more mod friendly than the 5.7 from what I read in this forum, if you don't care much about hp and only looking for few exhaust, CAI kinda mods then the R/T is your better option.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I think this is one of those situations where we can ridicule the OP for failing to use the search function.

There are TONS of these SRT-8 vs R/T debates, the last thing we need is ANOTHER one...

:werd:

·
Registered
629 Posts
I'm more than happy with my R/T.

The R/T exhaust is not as free-flowing as the SRT exhaust, so a change to the exhaust creates a pretty good gain in h.p. Solo gained about 29 h.p. on the R/T, but considerably less on the SRT because the SRT system is better to start with. The forthcoming Solo high-flow cats will create another sizeable gain.

The brakes and handling are surely better on the SRT. The question is, do you want and/or need this?

It's your money, your choice.

·
Premium Member
3,091 Posts
Drive them both and you will know which one to buy.:scratchhead:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just got home with my brand new 2010 SRT8, all grins and giggles though I have noticed it uses a bit more fuel than the Mini Cooper S... :guiness:

Thanks for all the input!

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Go Big or Go home...6.1 L, No regrets! 5.7L, life of "should I have" gotten SRT?
Go big or go home...6.4 L, No regrets! 6.1L, life of "should I have" gotten the 392 with more power, better handling and improved fuel economy.

Oh wait, Viper, No regrets! 6.4 life of "should I have..."

·
Registered
112 Posts
Go big or go home...6.4 L, No regrets! 6.1L, life of "should I have" gotten the 392 with more power, better handling and improved fuel economy.

Oh wait, Viper, No regrets! 6.4 life of "should I have..."
Haha exactly, it never ends!

I could've had either but I went with the R/T because the SRT8 didn't make sense for me since I don't go to the track. Other than on a racetrack, where would 425+HP and Brembo race brakes be used to their full potential? To me, having a SRT8 when you're not taking it to the track or racing it regularly off the track is all about bragging rights. Do I wish I had those bragging rights? Yep. Am I willing to pay for them? Obviously not.

·
Premium Member
2011, Mean Green Machine
2,051 Posts
Haha exactly, it never ends!

I could've had either but I went with the R/T because the SRT8 didn't make sense for me since I don't go to the track. Other than on a racetrack, where would 425+HP and Brembo race brakes be used to their full potential? To me, having a SRT8 when you're not taking it to the track or racing it regularly off the track is all about bragging rights. Do I wish I had those bragging rights? Yep. Am I willing to pay for them? Obviously not.
My thoughts exactly....I test drove the same number of SRT's as RT's when I was shopping for my car. Pretty much what it came down to.....

How much time am I gonna spend at the track?

Don't get me wrong though.....if someone said I'll buy you any Challenger you want.....OR....if money were no object.....you can bet your bottom dollar it would be an SRT 8.....er..... make that a 392 SRT......:bigthumb:

As it is I'm more than satisfied with my R/T.

BTW to the OP, congrats on a great ride.....now where's the pics.....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
232 Posts
I found one person who regretted the SRT8 (his inlaw even bought it for him!) and traded it in for a R/t (11 charger!) cuz the gas. So if you want 25% worst MPG then go for the SRT8. If you like to mod, then its more fun with R/T because you have so much more projects to do.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts