Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But it is just physics and it's not spread over the entire 1320 feet. It's how much power it took to move a given weight a given distance.
Is that not 1320ft ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ a given distance.
And the power (hp) changes throughout the whole 1320. So how does it not.
Speed calculators are junk. I Still got an ol Moroso slide stick 20 yrs old in junk box.
As said also Desant89,, exactly my point change tires and mph changed. So I got more HP from where then. ?
Another flawed formula speedy, I agree with ya on the dyno though, being best. Great for a real baseline. Still flawed though from there wind, resistance, tires,ect.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
But it is just physics and it's not spread over the entire 1320 feet. It's how much power it took to move a given weight a given distance.
Is that not 1320ft ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ a given distance.
And the power (hp) changes throughout the whole 1320. So how does it not.
Speed calculators are junk. I Still got an ol Moroso slide stick 20 yrs old in junk box.
As said also Desant89,, exactly my point change tires and mph changed. So I got more HP from where then. ?
Another flawed formula speedy, I agree with ya on the dyno though, being best. Great for a real baseline. Still flawed though from there wind, resistance, tires,ect.
The formulas have a constant in them which I believe is there to eliminate the need to calculate how much power at each inch of the 1320 feet. That constant is 234.

Now, John makes a good point with the stock SRTs. That is interesting.

However, what happens when the calculator matches an actual dyno reading?

Here's a good article that explains a lot about it if you're interested:

Auto math handbook: calculations ... - Google Books

I think these came about because shops didn't have dynos back in the 70s like they do today.

I've never thought much of them, but some people swear by them and you see it discussed on just about every car forum. Besides, it gives us something to chew on to pass the time to next season.

Now what I can't get my head around is people claim spinning the tires down the track doesn't affect the MPH. I'm confused on how that can be as when the tires are spinning the car is not accelerating as efficiently as it would be if they stick.

Gearing also does affect the MPH, and that is mentioned in the article.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
there wrong cut and dry, your making less than 500rwhp cause there all 60hp off

·
Super Moderator
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
How did this thread get split up,,, wierd. Thanks Speedy I did go and read you info. Good material and it made more of my point after I went through material.
Im just glad we got Dynos, lol
Know what you mean, spinnning down the 1320, again you loosing ground to get the MPH up. and may run out of room. Never seen a slip stick match ever,,,Speedy. and this is why, must figure by the inch and what hp throughout each inch. Or its a Flawed guess. And not accurate. Agreed, us old timers didnt have chassis dyno like todays. So yes a tool, but an inaccurate tool. Great for bench racing.
All is well, this is why we have an opnion and can view it.
My 338rwhp I ran a 12:9s NA off The trailor, to a 12:[email protected] 1.9 60ft and 4300lbs ?????
Ordered SC, on its way !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts