Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an old 1/8 mile drag strip nearby that runs vintage cars (pre-1980) once a month. My buddy takes his '67 LeMans out to play. He told me some guy runs a street legal Olds 442 and turns over 100 mph in the 1/8. Does that sound right? Just wondering.........theMailman

·
Registered
291 Posts
We have an old 1/8 mile drag strip nearby that runs vintage cars (pre-1980) once a month. My buddy takes his '67 LeMans out to play. He told me some guy runs a street legal Olds 442 and turns over 100 mph in the 1/8. Does that sound right? Just wondering.........theMailman
no not right at all. Stock A8 scats run about 90mph in the 8th. 100mph is 10's.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Depends what is done to it...
There’s an Olds 442 that comes to every car show I attend here in Phoenix. It’s a street legal car with a full cage, 2 kits of nitrous and tubbed. 100 in the 1/8th is definitely not far fetched...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
413 Posts

Street legal? Absolutely! Stock? No way! My best in my 16 Scat Challenger with minor mods + Drag Radials is 7.49 @ 95 mph in the 1/8th. Hellcats and Demons are WAY more powerful and they are street legal.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,188 Posts
Why couldn't an Olds 442 run over 100mph in the 1/8 and be street legal?

Could have a built to the gills 455 engine and a roll cage with a sticky tire on the back. 350 engine with nitrous, etc. Not that hard to get an old car into the 10's really, no computer crap to deal with.

There are plenty of cars at my track that run 9's and 10's that are old muscle cars and still street legal. Sounds like that guy has a healthy 442 that runs well.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,479 Posts
Street legal, not stock. Exhaust, lights, etc. Doesn't mean there isn't a 700ci aluminum mill under the hood :) Hooking up to get to 100 in the 1/8th...

100MPH 1/8th ET 7.10366. 7.10366 1/8 to 1/4

Your 1/4 Mile ET is 11.26 seconds computed from your vehicle 1/8th ET of 7.10366 seconds

Your 1/4 Mile MPH is 124.00 MPH computed from your vehicle 1/8th MPH of 100 MPH

A Guy

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Im late to this conversation. But I’d like to add that my dad’s 69 Coronet R/T is street legal ( working wipers & lights). It also runs over 100 mph In the 1/8 and is a 10second car at 126 mph in the 1/4. This is very possible with any built motor from any of the big three. Like mentioned above. Street legal doesn’t mean factory stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies, guys. I guess when they run again in a couple weeks I should load a cooler, pack a couple lawn chairs and go check it out. As a side note, Mrs. Mailman's long-deceased brother (I never knew him) used to dominate that track back in the 60's & 70'S. She was young at the time, but remembers seeing him run his SuperBee!!! I just hope I don't get my nuts busted too bad if I show up top-down in the Mazda Mx-5..................the Mailman

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Absolutely possible.
Probably true. But, ya know, with a good start my little four banger could maybe show some of those old muscle/pony cars its tail lights in an 1/8th !! If they'd let me run I'd give it a shot....................the Mailman

1 - 11 of 11 Posts