Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tuned for high octane gas on a build similar to mine?(FBO Cam) Im wondering if it's worth it since I have a 100 octane pump 10 minutes away. Obv would only be a race tune not for daily. I'll only do it if it's worth something tho, like maybe .1-.2 in the quarter or 10+ whp over 93 if anyone's tested on a dyno.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,761 Posts
I don’t know the amount of spark you have at 93, but if if you can ascertain the degrees difference between the stock tune made for 89 octane (unless it’s an M6, then it’s made for 91) and the 93 octane tune you have now, you should be able to extrapolate a rough degrees-per-octane ratio that would apply to 100 octane gas.

With that number, you could theoretically figure out the extra HP you’d gain by running 100 octane and tuning for it (3 HP per extra degree of timing).

With that extra HP number, you should be able to calculate the decrease in quarter mile ET, assuming you know the current one (1/4 mile ET) with the 93 octane tune and gas. There are various equations that would do this part for you, but you’d need the total HP, weight, and ET at the very least I’m thinking.

I would volunteer to do all that math for you, but I’m in the middle of a 5 hr drive, and I’m quite certain that would impair my ability to dodge the deer and varmits that keep running out in front of me as I’m driving down these roads. :(

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The difference from a canned 91 to 93 Diablo tune is 1.5°. If I can advance 4° i think it may be worth it. I think I'm just gonna test it anyway and use it as an excuse to finally get on a dyno.
And don't worry about all the math, I'm taking 4 maths this year so it's nothing new to me

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
The difference from a canned 91 to 93 Diablo tune is 1.5°. If I can advance 4° i think it may be worth it. I think I'm just gonna test it anyway and use it as an excuse to finally get on a dyno.
And don't worry about all the math, I'm taking 4 maths this year so it's nothing new to me
:unsure:

My back of the napkin math says you should be able to do 4 degrees, maybe 5 if everything is in good working order. As such, I wouldn’t be surprised if the extra octane gas could gross you 15-20 HP, but I’m thinking with an auto trans your net HP gains may not be enough to significantly reduce your ET.

However, I don’t want my bad math and educated guesses to dissuade you from trying this. I say do it, if for no other reason than to prove me wrong!😁

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:unsure:

My back of the napkin math says you should be able to do 4 degrees, maybe 5 if everything is in good working order. As such, I wouldn’t be surprised if the extra octane gas could gross you 15-20 HP, but I’m thinking with an auto trans your net HP gains may not be enough to significantly reduce your ET.

However, I don’t want my bad math and educated guesses to dissuade you from trying this. I say do it, if for no other reason than to prove me wrong!😁
I'll report back in a week or two and maybe get it on a dyno since the tracks are still closed here. I got a 6 speed btw. May be a good option for N/A 5.7 guys to get deep into the low 12s with simple mods.

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
I'll report back in a week or two and maybe get it on a dyno since the tracks are still closed here. I got a 6 speed btw. May be a good option for N/A 5.7 guys to get deep into the low 12s with simple mods.
If you have a M6 trans, then I believe you are required to attempt this and report back! 🤓

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wouldn't a 85 Octane be way better?
I think you mean E85, but no it wouldn't. There's 1 e85 pump in all of NJ and I'd have to change the whole fuel system.

Reactions: Tripmine56
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.