Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
11,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wanted to share a little info on how the R/TC did on it's first out of town road trip.

About 350 miles to destination, and the same back. A lot of "cruising" during the stay.

On the way out, running west, into a SE wind, 65 mph, two laner, a lot of hills and a lot of spirited (85-90mph) passing. EVIC = 23.5mpg.

Me, the wife, some luggage, Shell "89" and it was 102-104 the whole trip. Not bad mileage for the circumstances, but I was expecting a little better.

On the trip home, same roads, just a slight breeze from the south, temp in the mid 80's, EVIC 25.1. That was more like what I've gotten on shorter trips. Used Casey's "89" with 10% ethanol.

The air kept us more than comfortable in the 100+ heat, and it was down right a freezer in the 80's. No complaints on the air conditioning performance at all.

Changed the oil (at the dealship) with bulk oil (don't know what brand) before the trip. Used ZERO oil during the trip. I'm pleased.

Overall, great car for trips, and I really do like the "softer" R/T suspension for the variety of road conditions that I ran into. From glassy smooth roads to the usual "when are they going to fix this" surfaces.

Over the weekend, ran into "sheet rain" (no hail thank God), and zero leaks. Great washer and wipers, and the RSA's got along pretty well in the downpour.

I liked the R/T seats to begin with, more comfortable for my buttocks than the SRT's, and they stayed comfortable the whole way. Only real complaint is that it would be nice to have a power pasanger seat.

Only one problem that happened every stop...................people gathered, commented, and wanted to chat about the Challenger. The trip took a little longer than expected, but it was very enjoyable meeting and talking with all the folks that we met.

I would buy this car again in a heartbeat. Retro Muscle, great road car, and a real headturner.

May not be the "fastest" Challenger around, but I was really suprised at the amount of comments on "how cool" the R/TC looked.

Fun car, fun trip, and logged right at 1000 miles of smiles.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
Very nice.....as soon as I pick mine up when I get back to the states taking a road trip from Arizona to Mississippi and back. Good to know it handles road trips comfortably.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yours is the model/color I wanted before I ordered my GWE R/TC
Fun to live vicariously through your road trip :)

·
Premium Member
7,322 Posts
I too liked the R/T seats better than the SRT seats when I was comparing in late 2008. Mine has cloth which I prefer to leather.

I can ride for hours in my car without any discomfort. :D

·
Super Moderator
17,345 Posts
+1 - I just had a 10 hour trip (each way) with only gas stops and bathroom breaks and a quick stop for lunch - the R/T seats are supremely comfortable.

I remember the 60's car seats were good for about 2.5 - 3 hours and then you could feel the springs through the padding. You had to get out and let the feeling return to your legs before continuing onward.

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
11,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, these aren't the "old cars" that we've so much admired over the years.

I know that everyone has a different want/need for their Challengers, but I'm just very pleased with the ride, comfort, and performance of these R/T's.

Road cruising in the "old days" was fun, but not as pleasant as these IMO. Like Hal H mentioned, the seats alone would just about kill you on a long drive.

We're lucky to have such a comfortable car, that just looks SO good, and performs SO well, in many ways.

Looking forward to Labor Day Weekend :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mine is a 2010 RTC with a manual.
I absolutely LOVE the car, but I don't know how you guys get this great MPG

I've taken her on a 180 mile trip (90 miles each way)
On the way there I did the 6th gear cruise control and on the way home, the more spirited .. open her up a little and lay back on the accelerator (NOT W.O.T.) by the way, and I averaged at best 17.9 according to my EVIC

Somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong! LOL

·
Registered
621 Posts
Maybe not the fastest Challenger as mentioned before, but the Classic R/T is beautiful. I rank it higher than the SRT in looks.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have had my 11 RTC 6 speed for a little over a month now. Just rolled over 4k miles on her. On the highway it gets between 26.5 and 27 mpg.

Great cruising car but personally the seats are not all that comfortable. Maybe it is just me.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i dont have evic on mine and dont see how all you guys r getting that high of mileage .. the best i have ever gotten was 24.4 checking it my miles driven divide by gallons used to fill it back up .. just puzzled :scratchhead:

·
Super Moderator
17,345 Posts
i dont have evic on mine and dont see how all you guys r getting that high of mileage .. the best i have ever gotten was 24.4 checking it my miles driven divide by gallons used to fill it back up .. just puzzled :scratchhead:
Altitude elevation and temperature will make a difference in MPG.

When I got to the interior valleys in the high 80s, I noticed the MPG dropped (heavy A/C use for one thing) and its likely the PCM pulled timing - I notice momentary ping/spark knock when its mid-70s where I live when taking off moderately from a stop (with 91 octane at that), just before the PCM detects the ping and knocks the timing back.

I expect its only worse when you have hotter days, usually you'll get retarding timing and slight fuel enrichment (lowers combustion peak temps) to preclude pinging and that will knock the peak power and MPG down.

When the engine's output gets reduced due to knock / spark retard, you'll probably use more throttle % to compensate. It gets pretty hot in Texas most all during the summer -

Plus the 6-speed manuals (taller o/d gearing) seem to get better highway MPG over the automatics as the higher loads will cause MDS to switch out during those events.

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,022 Posts
Interesting about the seats, I had a R/T for 14 months and loved seats, drove 800 miles in one day and always comfortable. I have not had my 2010 SRT on any more then 250 miles in a day but I suspect the R/T seats for distance are the best.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
I got chu guys beat...my TX/CA round trip was a straight 24 hr drive on each segment, with a single downtime day in between. :eek: Praise be to the energy drinks! Ok, I had a catnap or 2 at a rest stop, but there was no hotel check-in, I assure you.

The RT suspension is right where it needs to be, afaic. It's *compliant*, not soft, to take the rough roads with stride, but not leave you utterly unprepared for some cut'n'thrust turning. I can corner pretty well in this thing, while the car stays appreciably level. I believe if this car is leaning over on you in a turn, you are either doing some heavy duty road course work or you are just not feeding in the steering smoothly.

If I had any complaints, I would have liked a tad bit more shock damping in the rear to smooth out some mid-turn oscillation in the back.

I think the spring and roll rates are just fine for an everyday driver RT, unless you plan to visit an autocross track frequently.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Altitude elevation and temperature will make a difference in MPG.

When I got to the interior valleys in the high 80s, I noticed the MPG dropped (heavy A/C use for one thing) and its likely the PCM pulled timing - I notice momentary ping/spark knock when its mid-70s where I live when taking off moderately from a stop (with 91 octane at that), just before the PCM detects the ping and knocks the timing back.
You make an astute observation! I believe that under hood temps rise considerably when the A/C triggers the cooling fan to activate. This will eventually show up at the IAT. So if the IAT was reading about 100 deg F during hot weather driving and no A/C, activating the A/C is pretty effective to bump that up by an additional 20-30 deg. Once the IAT is reading >120 deg, you can be sure the engine control is dialing everything back to ensure safe engine running. It's extra fuel to run the A/C + rich fuel mixture + timing retard + heavier throttle to restore nominal engine responsiveness at the gas pedal... Hot weather w the A/C is a surefire thing to make the gas needle move quickly.

·
Super Moderator
17,345 Posts
If I had any complaints, I would have liked a tad bit more shock damping in the rear to smooth out some mid-turn oscillation in the back.
That diagonal (left ft <-> right rr or right ft <-> left rr) is the action of the soft rate rear sway bar and the shock damping rate (mine has Nivomats, which are kind of stiff in their action for what they're designed for).

When I swapped out to an aftermarket sway bar set, that killed off that oscillation you describe...I hated it and it made for a weird feel in corning.

That symptom (plus too much body) was one of the two things I wasn't happy about the stock suspension setup. I'm running stock springs and shocks and end-links (still with rear Nivomats) and very happy with the results.

Compliance in the ride and corners like nobody's business - makes me happy.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Actually, I was alluding to a straight bouncy motion isolated at the rear...no crisscross motion that I could tell.

·
Super Moderator
17,345 Posts
Actually, I was alluding to a straight bouncy motion isolated at the rear...no crisscross motion that I could tell.
The criss-cross I'm describing is during cornering on / off ramp exits and long, sweeping curves and the like, basically higher-g sustained cornering events.

It was really annoying.

The up/down bouncing you describe would be rectified by firmer shock rebound rates to slow down the effect of the spring decompressing once the load comes off of it.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Maybe it is there, but in an on/off ramp turn or a curvy country lane, my mind seems to always be more focused on how narrow the roadway feels for this car, and not much clearance to the left or right if my actual path happens to want to be less than textbook geometric. ;)

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
11,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I guess that every time I've hit those "washboard" roads, I'm glad that I've left my suspension alone.

I've added a Mopar front strut tower brace, and I'll be putting on a Petty rear this coming weekend, but that's it.

I was almost ready to pull the trigger on the SRT springs/shocks, but I just wouldn't be happy with any firmer/stiffer/rigid ride.

I've read a ton of posts/comments, and only a few folks actually stated that the ride with this upgrade "suffered" compared to the stock R/T.

It's all subjective, but I'm sure that those bouncing guys in their ricers think that their ride is fine. I'm just saying, for a road trip car, I'm perfectly happy with the stock suspension and the strut bracing. I wouln't want it any firmer.

There are times when I hit it pretty hard on my local twisties, but once again, the car feels good to me, and there's no way IMO, that it could be pushed to it's limits on the roads in my area......................not safely anyways.

Maybe with age, I'm just enjoying the R/TC for what it is, and not "dreaming" about what it "could be" with a ton of mods. Shoot, I'm probably one of the few who like the stock exhaust sound. To me, a perfect blend of Hemi sound and exhaust sound in the cabin. It's quiet at cruising speeds, but you can tell there's "something under there" when you nail it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.