Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit 1k miles yesterday (already had 1st oil change at 900 miles) and on my way to work from the dealer this am it was the first time since I purchased the Challenger I felt at ease with the car and drove her like I have owned it for 5 years.

Not sure why this calmness about the car came over me. Maybe with all the crap I have been dealing with I felt like something got accomplished when they put the door handle in today and it worked. Guess that is what you call being in a good mood.

Love this car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dislike inept dealerships~!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I hear you. I dropped mine at dealership today for first oil change and to do my stereo update and to check any other tsb's. Also my washer nozzle Pump never worked since I got the car. I don't use them but want it working.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I hope soon I will feel like you do. My black 392 has just above 3500 miles.

At 30 miles (I picked it up with 11), I noticed there was a paint defect on the hood, almost like a paint bubble. Took it to the dealer, as they were trying to figure out what kind of paint issue or defect it was, they touched it enough to have the paint come off; about the size of a penny. I had to drive the car around like that for the next couple hundred miles while I waited for the dealer to receive the hood gray stripes and bring in a stripe professional to do the stripes, so then they could give me an appointment to leave the car so they could repaint and re-stripe the hood. Also they had to set up to get a rental for me for the time being. Took them about a couple of weeks to give me an appointment. Then I had to drive around a rental black Avenger R/T for about a week and a half, garbage.

Picked the car up when it was done. It was raining so I could not really inspect the car. Took it home. Noticed the driver side mirror and window had primer residue and dots all over, if looked at closely. And my driver side hood scoop was stained ghost white and it wouldn't come off. Took it back to have that fixed. The window residue came off easily, the mirror not so much. Eventually it came off, but it left some minor rag scratches on it if looked at with the right lighting. Not a big deal, I can deal with that. The hood scoop was on order.

Went home again. Drove it some more, waiting on the hood scoop warranty. Noticed my sunroof wind deflector plastic piece was scratched, badly, and I knew it was not my fault, probably came like that from the factory. You could see it if the sunroof is open and you look up. Took it back to the dealer. Waiting on that piece as well.

Oh and that's not all...

A few thousand miles later, my detailer tells me he found the same paint problem on the roof. How often do you look at the roof? The roof had paint bubbles and paint cracking all over, mainly driver side. Took it back for that and they were notified. The body shop manager advised me to go home, wash the car and inspect the car very carefully to find all the paint defects I could, so they can repaint all the sections in one shot. I did so, and pretty much every panel and section of the car on the outside had paint defects with the exception of passenger side door and rear bumper. From fisheyes, to paint swirls, to paint blobs, etc. At that point, I figured I better be picky.

Took it back to notify them. The Dodge area director was involved. Offered me to buy back my vehicle at window sticker price, or switching out for another one and writing me a check if there was a difference in price if less, or for me to pay the difference if more, which I doubted since my ordered car was maxed out in accessories and goodies. The problem is, I already have mods on this car. Thousands of dollars: CAI, long tube headers, high flow cats and mid pipes, CORSA Xtreme exhaust, Lockpick CHR550 w/ backup camera, WebElectric's Sequential Turn Light System kit, SpeedLogix Catch-Can, splash-guards, Lumar CTX window tints w/ AirBlue on the windshield. I asked them about my mods, they said that it would be my responsibility. I would be losing money on all that labor cost on the mods, plus labor costs on removing the mods and reinstalling them on the new one.

So the other option they offered was to repaint the entire vehicle, from bumper to bumper, so all the paint matches. I had to agree. I would lose on too much money and time and effort if not.

Oh, and the day before taking the car to the dealership when they offered to repaint the entire vehicle, my headliner on the inside roof started coming down behind the sunroof. Warranty for that too! Holy f*uck! :disgust:

But I still love the car, and what it represents. I ordered it when I got back from a Marine Corps combat deployment in Afghanistan on March 24th 2011. I figured I deserved it after getting blown up 4 different times by IEDs and lived to talk about it. Ordered it through a dealership in North Carolina through a friend's wife's father, who owns the dealership; I live in Florida. Had to have the car transported here to me. I put all my savings into it, a down payment of $20,000 and a trade-in of $6,000. I custom ordered it with the exact color and stripe combo, and all maxed out features and accessories, the way I wanted it. Even if I were to get a new one, it would have to be ordered. There isn't one in the area exactly the way I want it, I checked.

So I am still driving around the 392. Waiting for them to give me an appointment to leave the car to get repainted and all the other issues fixed. Who knows for how long. It's embarrassing on their part, Dodge. I just hope this is an isolated incident with my vehicle and not the norm.

So again, I look forward to feeling the way you do! :indifferent:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Get a new one!

This is just of course my opinion and I certainly understand you wanting to get the car fixed and back to you with the least amount of hassle (and expense) at this point. However, if you plan to keep this car for many years there is no way I'd except anything other than a new one. Dealer repaints can be questionable at best and it will significatly diminish the value of your potentially collectable car.
The mods you list are not that terribly difficult or expensive to deinstall/reinstall on a new vehicle and you will be much happier in the long run. It will sting some now in the wallet but I doubt you will ever be satisfied with your repainted 392 otherwise.
Don't compromise, you deserve and should expect a new 392 in perfect unaltered condition.

Edit: Sorry, didn't mean to thread hijack but I was shocked by Beltfeds situation.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@BeltFed

I personally would have jumped at the chance at the buyback. Lots of the parts you put on are easily removed but I understand the loss of labor costs as well as the exhaust cost since you probably junked the old exhaust.

A buyback is that, they will buy your car back so let them do it and order a 2012 the way you want. If they said "replacement" then you have to do a swap as it is nto a buyback.

If they truly said buy back, DO IT and be happy because the loss you are looking at is worth the removal of aggravation. Especially since the primer application failed and that means they will have to strip your car to metal or seal it with special epoxy primer before painting it. Why trust the dealer paint job?

Dodge is doing right by you by offering the buy back (or even a replacement)

·
Registered
167 Posts
I appreciate all the opinions. I definitely agree on the depreciation of the value of a car that I will definitely keep for a long time. I still have all the original OEM parts, exhaust, etc... But like you said, I payed for an ordered brand new 2011 Challenger SRT8 392 in Black w/ gray stripes, not a dealer repainted 392. Definitely not worth the 50k I am paying for after the repaint. I'll reevaluate what my options are with regards to the buy-back/switch.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
204 Posts

But I still love the car, and what it represents. I ordered it when I got back from a Marine Corps combat deployment in Afghanistan on March 24th 2011. I figured I deserved it after getting blown up 4 different times by IEDs and lived to talk about it. ...I put all my savings into it, a down payment of $20,000 and a trade-in of $6,000...

So I am still driving around the 392. Waiting for them to give me an appointment to leave the car to get repainted and all the other issues fixed. Who knows for how long. It's embarrassing on their part, Dodge. I just hope this is an isolated incident with my vehicle and not the norm.

So again, I look forward to feeling the way you do! :indifferent:
Customer of the year.

Ralph Gilles should give you a medal - and an apology :(

·
Registered
167 Posts
I think Ralph needs to know about this whether you keep your car or not.

Link;

A day in the life of Chrysler designer Ralph Gilles | Reuters

How would I do that? I wouldn't want to bother the CEO of SRT. I'm sure he has bigger things to deal with.

Like I said, I love the Challenger SRT8. It's been my dream car since the early 2008 models came out when I was 21 years old. I never knew that one day I was actually going to own one, never thought it possible. This is my first owned vehicle; my last one was co-owned with my father, a Chevrolet Colorado base model, had it for 6 years and was traded in for the Challenger. My father and I drove together to pick up my Challenger 392 late May 2011.

I don't want or desire any other vehicle. All I want is my same exact Challenger, in perfectly good condition, how it is supposed to be. Either that, or the same Challenger 392 in the 2012 model, paying the difference of course, if financially possible on my end. I was planning on keeping the Challenger as a collectable for as long as I could. Maybe for my kids, if I have any by then.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
I am just glad that my ownership experience has been a bit better.. Is my car perfect? Nope.. Does it have a few paint issues? Yep.. But none that I'd let the dealership touch the car over. I am fortunate that my door handles work, my car seems to run ok... I have had a CEL twice, both times it went back out, hasn't been back on since.. I am at 5000 miles right now and it's been a lot of fun! Fortunately I've not had to deal with a dealership service department yet, and I hope I don't have to any time soon.

·
Registered
49 Posts
... I am fortunate that my door handles work ...
You got that right. My driver side has worked since the day I picked mine up. Supposed to have new ones arriving at the dealership on Tuesday but with their track record, I'm expected a few more weeks on these.

I found a nice glob of clear coat on the bottom of the drivers door the other day as well. Really looking forward to have the dealer fix this too :ugh:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts