Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Everyone, I purchased a 2006 6.1 Liter from a charger, and a Tremec TR6060 from a 2012 challenger which i'm going to rebuild for my 70 challenger. This is my first modern engine build, but i've built various engines from the 60's to early 70's.

I was curious on how these new engines wear. What would you recommend replacing on a 100k Mile Engine.

Here's what I currently have planned:
Gaskets obviously
Oil Pan (Center sump) and pickup tube relocation
Main Bearings
Rod Bearings
Cam Bearings
Re-gap the piston rings to 2010 specs
New Cam
New Valve springs / Seals / seats if they are worn
Timing Chain
Water Pump
Spark plugs
MDS Delete plugs as I broke mine

I think that's all I can remember for now

What about Coil packs and Injectors, oil pump, do these hold up to this amount of mileage?

Here's some pics of before/after the tear down

Attachments

·
Registered
760 Posts
If you are speaking just about the engine, you are right on the money. I have seen these engines run 200k with minimal servicing. If you want a pristine, brand new engine, get every last little part. If you are just refreshing, you have everything listed that you should check into.

I would personally buy a new oil pump just because it is a critical engine component and I would not want to leave that to chance on a new build.
Injectors I would send out or sonic clean myself just to make sure they were fresh but they are good to go beyond that.
Coils should be fine, they are built to last 200k and if one goes out, its not something you'll have to tear into the engine to get to later.

Other stuff I would do: lifters (replace), rocker arm assemblies (inspect), belt (replace), idler pulleys (inspect)
Probably missing some stuff

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are speaking just about the engine, you are right on the money. I have seen these engines run 200k with minimal servicing. If you want a pristine, brand new engine, get every last little part. If you are just refreshing, you have everything listed that you should check into.

I would personally buy a new oil pump just because it is a critical engine component and I would not want to leave that to chance on a new build.
Injectors I would send out or sonic clean myself just to make sure they were fresh but they are good to go beyond that.
Coils should be fine, they are built to last 200k and if one goes out, its not something you'll have to tear into the engine to get to later.

Other stuff I would do: lifters (replace), rocker arm assemblies (inspect), belt (replace), idler pulleys (inspect)
Probably missing some stuff
Yep obviously forgot the serpentine belt. Heads look pretty good but i'll double check everything there as well.

Thanks for the reply

1 - 3 of 3 Posts