Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger RT
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2013 Challenger R/T Plus

Mods: 2.9L Whipple, JG Stage 1 HL cam (not a good cam for a Whipple), I ported my heads, JBA long tubes, Innovate LC2 wideband, FTI 3000 stall converter, 3.06 gears, MT ET Street R - 305/45R17s on Saleen Mustang wheels. I also just installed a 2.4 gallon ice box inline with my intercooler along with running a Snow Meth injection kit with a progressive controller.

Run was on 100% 93 octane - tuned by me with HP Tuners.

DA was approximately 275

Attachments

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Nice 60'.

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger RT
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice 60'.
Thank you. I forgot to mention that all year I have been hitting 1.7x - 1.8x 60's because I was using the 3.91 gears that I put in when I was NA. NA, I pulled 1.6's but I couldn't get close to that with the Whipple. It was just too much.

On top of that I was crossing the line at 5960 in 4th gear. I decided that I needed to go back to 3.06 gears and it paid off tremendously. I hit a 1.57 and 1.58 today and crossed the line at the top of 3rd as desired.

·
Registered
167 Posts
What kind of power are you putting down on the ground? I have a Whipple gen3 coming, CAI, Steelworks 2" longtubes, and 3" exhuast. I'm worried that I'll blow my bottom end out.

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger RT
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What kind of power are you putting down on the ground? I have a Whipple gen3 coming, CAI, Steelworks 2" longtubes, and 3" exhuast. I'm worried that I'll blow my bottom end out.
I'm not sure how much hp. I'm a fan of timeslips over dynos because dynos are only really good for comparing gains on the same car from mod to mod. I've seen my car dyno'd on the same day as a friend and he was only 10hp less than me. I was 1.8 seconds faster at the track on the same day so pfft. ;-)

If I had to guess, I'm somewhere close to 600 to the wheels. I keep things cool run meth injection too. Knowing how to tune and set up your car to combat heat and detonation is the key to longevity.

I just purchased a hellcat shortblock, hellcat cam, and Apache heads for next year so I hope to end next year with a 9.99 slip.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm not sure how much hp. I'm a fan of timeslips over dynos because dynos are only really good for comparing gains on the same car from mod to mod. I've seen my car dyno'd on the same day as a friend and he was only 10hp less than me. I was 1.8 seconds faster at the track on the same day so pfft. ;-)

If I had to guess, I'm somewhere close to 600 to the wheels. I keep things cool run meth injection too. Knowing how to tune and set up your car to combat heat and detonation is the key to longevity.

I just purchased a hellcat shortblock, hellcat cam, and Apache heads for next year so I hope to end next year with a 9.99 slip.
That's cool, keep us updated. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
936 Posts
Nice runs!

I assume your car is an A5 and not M6?
(Duh - converter might have been a clue! Lol)

So you did that with an open diff.... no limited slip.

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger RT
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice runs!

I assume your car is an A5 and not M6?
(Duh - converter might have been a clue! Lol)

So you did that with an open diff.... no limited slip.
I only run Getrags. I pulled the 3.91 and did these runs with a 3.06.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,634 Posts
Congratulations! Very impressive :thumbsup:

A Guy

Reactions: Pector55

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
10,024 Posts
Excellent run, congratulations, really shows what one can do with a 5.7 Hemi without breaking the bank.

Reactions: Pector55

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,718 Posts
2013 Challenger R/T Plus

Mods: 2.9L Whipple, JG Stage 1 HL cam (not a good cam for a Whipple), I ported my heads, JBA long tubes, Innovate LC2 wideband, FTI 3000 stall converter, 3.06 gears, MT ET Street R - 305/45R17s on Saleen Mustang wheels. I also just installed a 2.4 gallon ice box inline with my intercooler along with running a Snow Meth injection kit with a progressive controller.

DA was approximately 275
Great run!

Do you have more information on the cam you're using?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
2013 Challenger R/T Plus

DA was approximately 275
Outstanding!! How much boost you running...>10psi?

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger RT
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great run!

Do you have more information on the cam you're using?
It's Jay Greene's Stage 1 high lift cam. Duration is around 210/222 and lift is .59x/58x but with the overlap, it's set up for NA. I decided to stay with it because I've used NA cams for boost before and argued with people on the concept. Ideally, people will state that an NA cam doesn't work for boost because it bleeds off the boost when both valves are open during the overlap. However, we found on a previous car that a small amount of this helped cool the cylinder and allowed us to actually run more boost safely. I kept this cam for my own little experiment and turned up the boost to the 10-11 psi range on the stock bottom end. Combined with meth injection, I found that I was not fighting detonation and I was able to turn up the timing.

This company made blower cams for the 3.8l V6's and they used this concept to make what they called a "NIC" (non-intercooled) cam.
https://zzperformance.com/3800/camshafts-valvetrain/supercharged-cams-1.html

Reactions: Gila Hemi

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger RT
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Outstanding!! How much boost you running...>10psi?
Pushing in the 10-11 range, depending on the weather. I would never advise anyone do that on a stock motor but I have a lot of mods designed to keep this engine running cool and I scan it constantly, doing my own tuning and making sure it has no knock.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Congrats getting into the 10s. Impressive in what you have done yourself with this build. You got me thinking of switching out my 3.91 to 3.06.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
Pushing in the 10-11 range, depending on the weather. I would never advise anyone do that on a stock motor but I have a lot of mods designed to keep this engine running cool and I scan it constantly, doing my own tuning and making sure it has no knock.
Tuning for water/meth and 93 octane 10psi is doable but you are right, you got to keep an eye on things. So when you said stock bottom end you meant stock pistons and rods...not forged. Still a pretty impressive run. Makes me wonder if a 3.09 instead of a 3.90 on a SC 5.7 with an M6 is a better fit?

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger RT
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tuning for water/meth and 93 octane 10psi is doable but you are right, you got to keep an eye on things. So when you said stock bottom end you meant stock pistons and rods...not forged. Still a pretty impressive run. Makes me wonder if a 3.09 instead of a 3.90 on a SC 5.7 with an M6 is a better fit?
I suppose you can still use the 3.91s but I also have a 3000 stall. My MT ET Streets are 305/45R17's so they are a little shorter and that takes my effective gear ratio up to 4.03. That specific setup may work with really good prep but I struggled with it all year. The other part was where I was crossing the line so even if you can hook, I'm not sure if is the optimal setup or not. I think it's a good question and I have to think there are manual guys who may know the answer.

All I know is that a few weeks ago in 931 DA, I used my 3.91's, 3000 stall and same DRS and went 11.349 and 11.350.
Saturday DA was between 275 - 475 so not a dramatic change and with 3.06s I ripped a 10.996 and my 60ft dropped from 1.72 and 1.74 to 1.57 and 1.58

I crossed the line right at the 3-4 shift too.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Congrats to OP!

Iron - Careful with that whipple, or at least do your research. Mine has been a headache (literally noise inducing headache). Of course now i found hundreds of posts with problems similar to mine after buying it.

My car sure runs strong but only time will tell for how long.

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger RT
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Congrats to OP!

Iron - Careful with that whipple, or at least do your research. Mine has been a headache (literally noise inducing headache). Of course now i found hundreds of posts with problems similar to mine after buying it.

My car sure runs strong but only time will tell for how long.
I'm not clear on what issues you are having with your Whipple? The blower whine gives you a headache?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts