Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my Scat Pack down to Milan Dragway yesterday and made 3 passes.

1.) 11.92 at 115.09 mph (botched the launch)
2.) 11.67 at 115.73 mph w/ 1.62 60ft time
3.) 11.70 at 115.23 mph w/ 1.63 60ft time

DA was about 1400ft most of the day (70 degrees and sunny) with a little crosswind most of the day. I was hoping to run 11.70's given the conditions, but was really happy when I squeaked into the 11.60's! I was able to run 22psi in the drag radials since the track prep was excellent and I ran 40psi up front in my front skinnies.

My wife and kids and Dad all came along too which was cool. Had my own little pit crew there cheering me on in the stands haha!

Came within .05 of my previous best ET. This fall in colder air it should run 11.50's for sure and may even possibly hit 11.40's in the right conditions. But running 11.60's in 70 degree air is awesome, very happy with how the car is running!

^ 11.67 pass in car GoPro

^ 11.67 pass from the stands

^ 11.70 pass from starting line

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Damn - that's the fastest Roadmaster I've seen in a while! LOL

Great runs, way to represent :)

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn - that's the fastest Roadmaster I've seen in a while! LOL

Great runs, way to represent :)
Haha yeah no kidding! I talked to the kid that was driving that wagon in the staging lanes before that pass. It was a stock engine, but he had a 100 shot on it. Beefed up the trans, 2600 converter, and 4.10 posi with big M/T pro drag radials on the back. He ran 13.27 at 101mph that pass with a 1.80 60ft time, very impressive for a big tank like that! He cut a .09 light too and got the jump on me. That was a fun pass!

Thanks! I was one of the only newer Challengers there that day.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a great ET. Any performance mods or is your 392 stock?
Thanks! I was within .05 of my previous best ET of 11.62.

Mods:
- Racestars (17x9.5 rear + 17x4.5 front)
- M&H front skinnies
- M/T ET Street R drag radials
- hellcat airbox w/ filter removed
- BT catch can
- Hemifever custom tune/PCM swap
- 96 octane fuel (1/4 tank BP 93 + 1.5 gallon VP MS109 race fuel)
- Tazer line lock w/ trans in Track Mode

Bone stock on street tires it ran mid/high 12's. On 20" drag radials on the stock tune in that DA last year it would have run around 12.0-12.1, but I did get it down to 11.77-11.80 last year on the stock tune in -500ft DA (45 degree temp).

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,230 Posts
THAT IS AWESOME...CONGRATULATIONS!!! (now stop widening the gap, will ya?)

Do you "heel/toe" the brake and gas at the starting line?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
THAT IS AWESOME...CONGRATULATIONS!!! (now stop widening the gap, will ya?)

Do you "heel/toe" the brake and gas at the starting line?
Thanks man! I was hoping for 11.70's in those conditions so I was really happy when I saw it went 11.60's!

No I just use my left foot to hold the brake while I hold it around 1300RPM or so. Then I mash it to the floor on the third yellow and go. I could see where you might want to do that with a stick shift, but with an auto it's pretty easy to stage and launch.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
641 Posts
Nice runs. Great to see someone figure out how to go fast rather than throwing $ at the car and hoping to go fast.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I had to throw some $$$ at it, but not too bad haha! You really don't need to go with Racestars and front skinnies if you don't want to, probably only shaves .1-.12 or so off the ET. But I got a good deal on them and figured WTH.

The best mods you can do to pick up performance without spending a fortune are:

- M/T 20" drag radials (275/40/20 - fit on the stock 20x9 rim perfectly and same diameter as stock tires)
- hellcat airbox (remove air filter for passes)
- Hemifever custom tune/PCM (buy tuner/PCM used to save $$$)
- Tazer (line lock + track mode for trans)
- Pump up front tires to 45psi (free!)

All that stuff is around $1750 and will get you into the high 11's in positive DA consistently. In really good air likely mid 11's even without lightweight wheels. This is for an A8 car. M6 cars are typically .4-.5 slower than similar A8 cars from what I've seen.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Awesome job! Way to represent. Great to hear how stock the car is, truly amazing we can drive these things on the street with heated seats and wheel.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
9,264 Posts
Nice job Carl, not bad for a warm summer day with higher DA. I'm looking forward to seeing what you can squeeze out of it once the weather cools off again.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awesome job! Way to represent. Great to hear how stock the car is, truly amazing we can drive these things on the street with heated seats and wheel.
Thanks! Yeah there aren't any really major mods done to the car, main things are the tune and wheels really. Rest of the stuff is just little things that add up cumulatively to help out.

Yep pretty amazing. I put the car seats back in the car and drove my family home later that afternoon. Plugged in my iPhone and listened to some music, turned the A/C on, had the ventilated seats on, opened the sunroof, haha! Clicked off some 11.6 and 11.7 passes and drove home in comfort, can't beat that!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice job Carl, not bad for a warm summer day with higher DA. I'm looking forward to seeing what you can squeeze out of it once the weather cools off again.
Thanks man! Me too, my goal is 11.50's but secretly I'm hoping for 11.40's in really cold air later this fall. We'll see if that actually happens or not. Based on my calculations though it seems like it could become reality.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Thanks! Yeah there aren't any really major mods done to the car, main things are the tune and wheels really. Rest of the stuff is just little things that add up cumulatively to help out.

Yep pretty amazing. I put the car seats back in the car and drove my family home later that afternoon. Plugged in my iPhone and listened to some music, turned the A/C on, had the ventilated seats on, opened the sunroof, haha! Clicked off some 11.6 and 11.7 passes and drove home in comfort, can't beat that!
No, you can NOT beat that!!!!! What a time to be alive.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No, you can NOT beat that!!!!! What a time to be alive.
No kidding! I remember years ago when Ford came out with the Cobra R and it was a big deal because it came with no radio, minimal options, and ran 12.9 in the 1/4 mile stock. Most other cars back then were in the mid/high 13's. Now cars are running 11's with just basic mods and some are getting into the 10's! Years ago that was reserved for only unruly insane race cars that were barely street legal. Now you can run 11's in comfort (or 10's in comfort with a Hellcat). Pretty amazing stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Yes quite true. Before radial tires ( the biggest improvement for tires) you had nylon biased. Thin hard rubber. NO getting traction. That is what held all the cars back in the day. But then you did NOT have the reliability or any of the creature comforts. Truly we are blessed.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yep, the tires nowadays are WAY better than years ago. Even for drag racing now you have drag radial options in various sizes vs just standard bias ply slicks with no tread at all.

Not to mention the fuel mileage these cars are capable of. I took my Scat Pack on a few road trips last year and averaged 25-26mpg most of the time cruising along on the highway in 8th gear. You'd never see those kind of numbers from an old muscle car. Most of the seriously fast ones were likely in the high single digit range for mpgs. A lot of people don't care about that when buying these cars, but it is pretty cool to have a car that runs mid 11's at the track and then gets 25mpg the next weekend on a road trip with your family!

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
If you had a 12 second car then you could not cruise on highways. Too much gearing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts