Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in '15, I had an '11 R/T 5.7 automatic, and it ran well. I put on Flowmaster Super 44 mufflers, but never modified it in any other way aside from that. I don't think I ever had any problems with it except for a failed alternator which I changed myself. At the dragstrip it was pretty consistent, running 13.6's and 13.7's at 102-103 mph. I drove it a little over 50,000 miles in 3 years.

Then in March 2016, I placed a reservation for a Tesla Model 3, long range rear wheel drive. I received it on May 8, 2018, and sold the R/T the same day.

Initially, the Model 3 would run 13.5's and 13.6's at the same 102-103, but over time and a couple 5% power upgrades that came in via over the air software updates from Tesla, and it is now running low 13.40s @ 105. And it'll top out at 140 on an empty stretch of highway.

I once ran my R/T to 142 on an empty highway, but it could go faster, I think a stock R/T can touch 160-165 or so? The Model 3 Performance will go to 162 mph.

There were a couple other Model 3's at the track when I took mine to run last month, so for comparison, the Model 3 all wheel drive ran 12.40 @ 113, and a Model 3 Performance did 11.45 @ 118. There aren't many aftermarket ways to increase the power yet that won't nuke the warranty, so these are Tesla-approved power levels.

In every day driving, the Model 3 is excellent. It'll leave everyone behind from a stoplight, even when I'm not trying to. It's super quiet, fast, and comfortable. And things like the Base Autopilot package and stereo system make long highway road trips very nice. And not paying for gas, or more specifically the TAXES on gas is nice too! Eventually all 50 states will be charging a registration fee to make up for the lost gas taxes, but for now I am enjoying it. Electricity is way cheaper than gas. I recently did a 2766 mile road trip down south and back, and Tesla Supercharger fees cost me a total of $106.95. I've put 52,000 miles on my 3 in just over 2 years.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Hey you. Get off our roads we pay taxes for :) Seriously though, I’d consider one for a local grocery getter once the battery tech and charge times improved.

Being able to afford one only due to tax payer discount incentives kind of rubs me the wrong way too.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are improvements to be made in charge times, yes. Tesla is having their "Battery Day" presentation and announce of new technology on September 22.

I've made several 700 mile runs from PA to Alabama to visit people, I generally get there in the 14-15 hour range. The time spent recharging is longer than filling a gas tank, but it also gives me a nice "forced" break to lay back the seat, let the AC run, take a nap, or go to the bathroom and take a short walk around the parking lot.

I've never felt like going electric was a disadvantage or problem. There are differences, yes, but I've been fine with it. There will always be use cases for gasoline and diesel vehicles, of course, but I feel that most average people on the road could go electric with little problem.

In regards to cost, my monthly payment + gasoline for my Challenger R/T was very nearly equal to my new car payment + electric for my Model 3, and a base 3 can be had now for $39,000.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
27,452 Posts
Lol, there's always one...

A Guy

Reactions: Dennis H
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.