Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to admit right off the bat. I no longer see our Challengers as "fast". They are more like the image Harley has among the Motorcycle crowd. Loud but more smoke and mirrors than really fast.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,888 Posts
I guess it depends on which model of Challenger that you have and what your definition of fast is. If you're a person coming from a sixteen second mini van, then I'd think that a twelve second Scat Pack would feel pretty quick or even better, an 11 second Hellcat. I have ridden in a P100D in Ludicrous mode and it is one of the most amazingly quick automobiles that I've been in (not as quick to 60 mph as my old 68 Camaro was but it had a 540 ci BBC and two stages of spray on it and a 10" slick, so that saying something about the Tesla)!

I do agree with you about the Tesla's though in that they are pretty amazing performance cars and I'd think about a Model 3 Performance version but I can't get past the part where I'd be making engine sounds as I drove it around. Today, I have a Hemi, tomorrow I'd have an LSx motor and then the next day, maybe a turbocharged Coyote! :D

Come to think of it, that would be a good option for Elon Musk to put on them. You could have assorted engine sounds for your mood (inside the car sounds, not outside because I think that would be pretty Whack). Put it in Ludicrous mode and it defaults to a Pro Stock, you want to get better mileage, no sound. While cruising around, you could have a blown 426 Hemi or cammed Big Block Chevy. It would be pretty fun but sometimes I can be easily amused! :D

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,659 Posts
The word I would use is quick. Quick from 0-60. Quick in the 1/4 mile.In the 1/2 mile, still fast, but at that point, not faster. And after a 1/2 mile run, line em up and do it 5 more times in a row...

Not bagging on the Tesla, but it's just a different animal...and even the Tesla S is only so so good looking

A Guy

Reactions: SpeedShift

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The word I would use is quick. Quick from 0-60. Quick in the 1/4 mile.In the 1/2 mile, still fast, but at that point, not faster. And after a 1/2 mile run, line em up and do it 5 more times in a row...

Not bagging on the Tesla, but it's just a different animal...and even the Tesla S is only so so good looking

A Guy
No. The Tesla is more than just 'quick" they're FAST.... certainly fast if we're going to attempt to describe the Hell Cat as more than just a "quick" street car for sure.

To out run one with a Hell Cat you're gonna need a full 1/2 mile and be willing to hit near 150MPH just to pull ahead for the first time with anything less than a good take off in your Hell Cat. The guy in the video manages a perfect launch in his Hell Cat at the drag strip....the kind of launch you're never gonna manage to get on the street with street tires and he can't catch the tesla until the very end of a full 1/4 mile and he's already doing 130MPH as he pulls along side for the first time since the start of his run.

On an air port run way top speed test ......sure there are more than just a few faster gas powered cars that can hit higher top speeds thanks to an actual transmission with gears beyond one to one final drive.

On the street how-ever and up to speeds still way more than fast enough to land you in jail.......the Tesla has no competition from any Dodge......at least not right now. How many times on the street have you accelerated to speeds in excess of the 130+ a typical Hell Cat will see as it crosses the end of a 1/4 mile in a losing effort against a Tesla that accelerates so much MORE QUICKLY that it crosses that same line before the Hell Cat while doing closer to 120MPH.

This video captures it perfectly.

The first race is probably what happens most often on the street the hell gets CRUSHED by traction issues.

How-ever assume somehow you get real traction....the second race at the 9:30 mark in the video is where we a get better look at the real potential in both cars.
In the second "go"....the Red Eye gets a great LAUNCH and makes for a very close race. But it's that massive torque advantage that is so hard to top on the street. 10.6 vs 10.7 are times so close it's not even worth talking up one car vs the other as "faster" in the 1/4 mile. How-ever in the video what you see are two very different paths to that mid-10 second 1/4 mile run. One of the two show a much more useful and faster car for the street. It's a big game of chase the rabbit for this Hell Cat driver. Even with as close to a PERFECT launch as you'll ever see (how many hell cats on the street are actually running slicks and even if they are.......think they can get this guy's perfect launch?).......the hell cat immediately drops CAR LENGTHS of distance to the EV. Now it's a big chase to the end of the quarter mile and he just about gets there at the end. The only problem is found in how much distance he needs to catch up and at what speed that eventually happens........it's really easy to see which car has better street power by far.

That in a nut shell is the torque advantage of EVs on display. It's also the reason why you keep hearing smart engine builders say, "Torque rather than Horse power is what makes for a fast street car"

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,659 Posts
You made all the points I made in my post to refute it...that's interesting...

A Guy

Reactions: hemi4us

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,888 Posts
Seems like that's the only advantage we've still got now. Retro good looks. Gotta run with that!;)
That's enough for me!

I like the Tesla's and Appreciate how they perform, but the reason that they can win a race is because of their electric motor "instant torque" and awd.

They hook up so well and get out there and then the other person needs massive power (Redeye or better) to run them down. They're not fast, just quick and can get out quickly. They poop out on the big end because the motor is pretty much maxed out and doesn't keep building power like a petrol motor can. The power curve isn't a curve at all. It's up and then flat, but it doesn't build like a petrol motor does. It';s the jack rabbit start and big lead that wins them races, not their top end charge (pun intended:) ).

Just my observations and if you've never ridden in a P100D Tesla, I'd suggest trying it out because Ludicrous is a pretty good description on how they accelerate!

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
ahh shucks :(
I guess its time to trade in my hellcat widebody (which is considered fast, quick, powerful..whatever - by any standard) because it's not a "fast" car, at least according to a guy who owns a 392
:(:rolleyes::cry::oops::unsure:
jeez this $#%@ gets old...apples and oranges.

what's the next boobtube vid for forum digestion, posted up along with a 5 page self validating essay..., how the dodge challenger GT sucks at beating the Ford Raptor in serious baja offroad competition...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts