Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I hope im posting this in the right place. If not I hope the mods can move it to its correct place. Thanks

To start this is my first post on this forum. I created this account not only because I recently purchased a 2012 Challenger RT, but because I have a story I want to share that I believe can help others. This is going to be long but if your Challenger RT has a low transmission noise you might want to read this. So here goes...

About a month ago I went to look at a couple Challengers I had spotted online at some local dealerships. I was dead set on getting an RT (manual) but I wasn't sure what color. I looked at a few but none of them were really exactly what I wanted as far as the options go. It was hard enough finding a stick shift let alone one with leather and navigation etc.. So a couple weeks went by and eventually I got a call back from Town and Country Jeep Chrysler Dodge in Levittown, NY. They told me they had just gotten in a 12' Challenger RT in blackberry pearl with all of the options ive been asking for. So I hopped in my car after work and drove out there and when I saw it I immediately fell in love. It was exactly what I wanted. It even had a retro pistol grip hurst shifter in it which I loved. I took it for a test drive, sat down with the salesman and opted for the best warranty they had, and within a few hours I was driving home in my dream car.

Soon as I got home I turned my radio off and I was just about to get out of the car when I heard the noise. It was a low grinding noise coming from the transmission and so I pushed the clutch in and the noise was gone. Now owning a few muscle cars over the years I automatically assumed it was the throw out bearing. I called my salesman back immediately very upset not only at them but at myself for not noticing the noise during the test drive. My salesman was very sympathetic like any other swindler would be and he told me to bring the car back in to "schedule an appointment" tomorrow. SO the next day I bring the car back and the noise had already gotten progressively worse. So the service manager comes out and sits in the car and almost immediately tells me "yea ive heard this noise 100 times before its gotta be the throw out bearing just leave the car here with us and well have it back to you next week". I asked if I could please have a rental car (since my warranty stated I would get one during any service issues) and they told me If i wanted one I would have to bring the car back in three weeks when they have a rental car available. Now having just spent almost 30 grand knowing they sold me a broken "certified pre-owned car" I was naturally upset, but I figured whatever ill have the car back in a week and all will be right with the world. Boy was I wrong..

I dropped the car off on a Sunday night and I get a phone call Tuesday afternoon and its the service manager. He goes "hey Mr. --- my mechanic checked out the vehicle and they told me nothing is wrong and that the noise your hearing is normal". So I said hold on a minute are you really trying to tell me that the grinding/clanking noise we BOTH heard is normal? and he goes "listen I cant go against what my head mechanic is saying". So I said well than can you give it to another mechanic for a second opinion? and he goes "I had 2 of my top mechanics check out the car, we cant fix it because nothing is wrong." So at that point I decided to call up and speak to the sales manager at the dealership who was directly below the GM. I explain my story and he tells me that he will get it all straightened out. He went on and on about how hes gonna make things right and how I have nothing to worry about. He told me to give him a day and that he would call me back after he personally goes and sits in the car. So the next day all morning I didn't receive any calls all day so I finally decided to call the sales manager again at about 5pm. He answers the phone and immediately says " listen Mr. --- I went and spoke to the mechanics myself and not only are they saying there is nothing wrong, but I actually have a print out from the manufacturer that states that the grinding noise your hearing is normal. So at that point I was so fed up with it all I hung up and called the corporate offices to make a complaint. I got a case manager assigned to me and I explained to her how I KNOW there is something wrong with my car and they refuse to even look at it. She told me the best course of action would be to get the car out of there and bring it to another dealership and thats exactly what I did.

This is where challengertalk comes in. After listening to them tell me over and over that the noise was normal I decided to try and search forums to see if other people were having the same issue. I searched in google "2012 challenger RT transmission noise" and this was the first website that came up for me. I was shocked at how many guys out there made posts about the exact same issue I was having. And as a matter of fact 90% of the guys that posted hearing the same noise, ALSO had a hurst shifter. Some were saying it was due to the aftermarket shifter and others were bringing up the manufacturer warning I read about. So I started thinking to myself maybe it is a normal! That is until I got a call back from the second dealership. They told me not only was the throw out bearing shot but there was internal damage done and I need a whole new transmission.

So I just got my car back today after a month of fighting with dealerships and the noise is completely gone. I still have the hurst shifter installed and still the car is quiet as could be. I still had to pay a 200$ deductible (which im currently working to have them reimburse me for) but I got a whole new transmission, throw out bearing, and pressure plate. The point of this entire story is to warn all of you out there with a low transmission noise DO NOT let dealerships tell you that its normal. If you hear a weird transmission noise and it doesn't sound normal take it around to a few different dealerships to get opinions. Your challenger should NOT have an unusually loud transmission so DONT settle just because they tell you normal.

Sorry again for the long story. Thank you to whoever took the time out to read it all and I hope it helps someone in the future.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
At least you got the problem fixed, that's good to hear!

It's funny, that's the exact same car i was going to look at :D

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts