Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a R/T and I just picked up a Jett 180' thermostat, what type of radiator fluid should I get to top her off?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Absolutely use the proper Mopar coolant from the dealership.
Bad things happen when you mix modern coolants with the wrong type.

·
Registered
332 Posts
X3 on the Mopar coolant. Mixing colors is a big No-No.

I had to buy more when I painted my coolant tank.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
2013s use the new 10 year OAT type coolant.
I just looked it up on star parts.

I HIGHLY recommend you use the factory spec'd stuff.
Mix in the wrong kind, and you will end up with bubble gum in your cooling system!

♦ Engine Coolant (5.7L Engine) MOPAR® Antifreeze/Coolant 10 Year/150,000 Mile Formula OAT (Organic Additive Technology) meeting the requirements of Chrysler Material Standard MS-12106 1 Gallon - 68163848AA (concentrate) 68163849AA (50/50) 14.7 Quarts 13.9 Liters

....btw. you will probably find the 50/50 pre-mix easier....Chrysler is requiring it on warranty repairs (apparently they don't trust us to mix in water). We ONLY stock the 50/50 at our dealership.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Personally I don't think your gonna lose enough fluid to worry about it. Hope not anyways.

·
Premium Member
3,595 Posts
I have a R/T and I just picked up a Jett 180' thermostat, what type of radiator fluid should I get to top her off?

Thanks!
Are you going to tune it? I think without adjusting the settings, the fan speed will be incorrect. I read about it on here somewhere.
:beer_yum:

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Personally I don't think your gonna lose enough fluid to worry about it. Hope not anyways.
I drained about a gallon out of the radiator into a jug and still lost about a pint when I removed the t-stat housing. Just removing the t-stat housing without draining anything will make a big mess and they'll definitely need to fill it back up again.

OP, pay attention to the position of the vent in the t-stat. It needs to be at the 12-o'clock position (highest point in the housing) in order for the cooling system to bleed properly.

Also, Chrysler switches to OAT antifreeze for longer service interval

Also, color has zero to do with identifying what kind of coolant it is.

Prior to 2013 the Mopar coolant was Zerex G-05. Zerex makes the 2013+ coolant as well, but it's not G-05. I haven't been able to locate any aftermarket equivalent that exactly matches the new Mopar coolant, but Dex-Cool is the closest.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Only lost an ounce or two when I changed out mine.....

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a 13' challenger rt and I looked at the owners manual, it say to use OAT 10yr/150,000 miles. but my coolant in the reservoir looks orange.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 13' challenger rt and I looked at the owners manual, it say to use OAT 10yr/150,000 miles. but my coolant in the reservoir looks orange.
'
I also have the same situation, I have a 17' RT I got about a year ago and my manual says the same thing but my current fluid is orange and I don't know what to fill it with. If anyone knows what to use, please share :)

·
Premium Member
2014 SRT 8
279 Posts
oat orange is what U use, my 13 Ram Hemi is go-5 yellow. My book says oat orange, UG !!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,572 Posts
'
I also have the same situation, I have a 17' RT I got about a year ago and my manual says the same thing but my current fluid is orange and I don't know what to fill it with. If anyone knows what to use, please share :)
You are sure it's orange?

A Guy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts