Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a question for Resumespeed or a drivetrain engineer, but does anybody know if the torque converter in the 1320 Scat Pack is unique to the model or is it the exact same converter to be found in all the other 8hp70 6.4l cars?

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger 1320, high octane red, Race Stars and Mickey Thompson et rs, hurst shifter.
528 Posts
Different converter. High stall

·
Registered
801 Posts
I'll go one step further.
Anyone know what the stall speed is of a 1320 converter? What is the stall speed of a regular/base SP convertor?

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger 1320, high octane red, Race Stars and Mickey Thompson et rs, hurst shifter.
528 Posts
I'll go one step further.
Anyone know what the stall speed is of a 1320 converter? What is the stall speed of a regular/base SP convertor?
Not sure. Dodge said it was a looser converter than the regular scat so I guess it must be from the demon. I can get the rpms up around 3,000+

Reactions: SpeedShift

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,715 Posts
The 1320 uses the Demon converter RL378429AB .With a stall speed of around 2,350 rpm, and 18 percent more torque multiplication than the version in the Hellcat. Stall speed increased 11 percent . The torque converter in the Demon is rated at 151K versus 137K in the Hellcat. K is a ratio that expresses the torque generating capacity of the converter based on the relationship between impeller speed and impeller torque output. The torque converter also includes a large, multi-plate lockup clutch.

This is all in comparison to the Hellcat.

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,715 Posts
The Hellcat crowd is doing it. Since the 392 1320 can do it, it will work, but 392 1320 has the 41-spline axle half shafts, not that that is necessarily the weakest link. It still uses the 8HP70 8 speed auto "Regular" Scats, R/Ts use

A Guy

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
The Hellcat crowd is doing it. Since the 392 1320 can do it, it will work, but 392 1320 has the 41-spline axle half shafts, not that that is necessarily the weakest link. It still uses the 8HP70 8 speed auto "Regular" Scats, R/Ts use

A Guy
I thought my R/T used a different trans than the Scat and Hellcat.....

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,715 Posts
2015+ Challengers

3.6 (845RE)

5.7, 6.4 (8HP70)

6.2 (8HP90)

Same transmission for the 5.7L and the 6.4L. Different for the Hellcat (and Demon)

A Guy

Reactions: Frank Julian

·
Registered
967 Posts
The 1320 uses the Demon converter RL378429AB .With a stall speed of around 2,350 rpm, and 18 percent more torque multiplication than the version in the Hellcat. Stall speed increased 11 percent . The torque converter in the Demon is rated at 151K versus 137K in the Hellcat. K is a ratio that expresses the torque generating capacity of the converter based on the relationship between impeller speed and impeller torque output. The torque converter also includes a large, multi-plate lockup clutch.

This is all in comparison to the Hellcat.

A Guy
Idiot moment. Can you say that in English? What exactly would a different converter do?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,715 Posts
Car...fast...

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,715 Posts
Lol, sorry, it's early...not sure what you are asking?

A Guy

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'll piggyback on this question since it's sorta relevant.

Since the 1320 and scat pack have the same trans, does that mean the transbrake feature could be retrofitted? Is it simply a matter of programming or are different solenoids/valvebodies required?

I've tried looking for parts lists/exploded diagrams to no avail.

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack Challenger
85 Posts

Since the 1320 and scat pack have the same trans, does that mean the transbrake feature could be retrofitted? Is it simply a matter of programming or are different solenoids/valvebodies required?

I've looked and looked and I can't find how to make it work. Most people that are turning the fastest aren't using the transbrake anyway.

·
Super Moderator
15,790 Posts

its programming - locks up three 1st gear clutchs and one clutch for 2nd gear to achieve the Trans Brake function

·
Registered
8 Posts
The reason most everyone is using footbrake is because when you use footbrake instead of transbrake it is less shock on driveline thus allowing for better traction! Now when using a true bias slick tire instead of drag radial you will see a slight improvement with transbrake leaving at higher RPM.

The transbrake allows for better 60-foot time consistency!

The converter change is a plus for sure but a good tire will be needed as most have seen the DR that the 1320's come with has a tough time.

·
Registered
528 Posts
It
The reason most everyone is using footbrake is because when you use footbrake instead of transbrake it is less shock on driveline thus allowing for better traction! Now when using a true bias slick tire instead of drag radial you will see a slight improvement with transbrake leaving at higher RPM.

The transbrake allows for better 60-foot time consistency!

The converter change is a plus for sure but a good tire will be needed as most have seen the DR that the 1320's come with has a tough time.
It’s the opposite. The transbrake keeps
The tires unloaded and when you launch it shocks the tires hard. The foot brake puts a heavy load on the tires causing them to want to spin which results in more tire spin. That’s why the transbrake was invented

Reactions: vincentallen2

·
Registered
8 Posts
That is not why it was created. There are several benefits one is to allow the car to leave at a higher RPM then the stall converter can develop on the footbrake without pushing the car through the starting line, and in most cases with the gas pedal all the way on the floor for consistency. The transbrake is then released when it is time to go. You can either allow the car to reach whatever RPM the converter will allow or use a launch control set at whatever RPM you set it at. For example on my straight line fun car it will footbrake only to 3,200 RPM's but on the transbrake I have left gas pedal on the floor up to 4,800 RPM's.

In my earlier post what I stated is correct unless you have a dedicated track car and it is setup correctly using a transbrake will result in more tire spin then leaving on the footbrake. The transbrake method is very similar to manual shift cars. We all know when you hit a tire hard by shocking it you need to have a sidewall designed for the hit. No way a 20-inch drag radial coming off the showroom floor on the 1320 is going to like that. Which is why the best ET times are coming from the footbrake method.

Finally as I stated before the major benefits of using a transbrake is more consistent 60-foot times due to the car leaving the same every run. I have used one for 16 years with fairly good success with best NA 60-foot times are 1.38 seconds.

My guess is most 1320 drivers find using the transbrake procedure to complicated while focusing on getting good reaction times especially if using a pro tree.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts