Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two questions:

First, is the deeper spoiler fitted to the 1320 any more (or less) effective than the stubbier spoiler that most Challengers get

Second, can the 1320 be swapped in place of the older type without leaving ugly mounting holes/hardware

And an addendum, does anyone know if the "Ivory triple-coat pearl" paint is the same pearl white paint used by various other makes, or is it truly unique to FCA? I ask because if the 1320 wing is in fact a better unit, I'd want to swap it to my '15 SRT, but that wing was never painted in the Ivory on my car, so I'd have to get one in primer and have a shop paint it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
are you talking about the new optional spoiler like the widebody cars get? if so then the mounting is exactly the same as the previous spoiler. It has a guide pin in the middle, 2 screws on the outer edges, a few plastic clips along the bottom, and 2 sided tape sticking it down.

as for the paint.. it has a specific paint code for that color, just have the paint shop paint it in that specific color.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
The new optional spoiler is flat black and does not need to be painted. If you want to paint it that is your option. It fits on 2015 up Challenger that has a spoiler on it already. There are you tube vids of people wrestling one on the car. Looks like it takes some patience. Price from the dealer is around $400 and that does include the back up camera in the spoiler.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's apparently not just for widebodies, as I saw it yesterday on a non-widebody 1320. I'd want to paint it as the one currently on my car is body-colored. I might wait until someone manages to wad their car, and buy it from salvage. My main concern will be if the clips and screws use the same holes (probably so, since retooling body panels is expensive). Regarding the paint, I just wanted to determine if the paint was the same for different manufacturers. Some colors get reused (under different names) many times e.g. my Hummer H2 used "desert sand" which was a sort of greenish-gray that was used by Chevy, Subaru, and several other companies under various names. Pearl colors are more expensive in general, but a shop might charge me less for the Honda minivan color than for the more exotic Challenger (or Mercedes) version.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,606 Posts

A Guy

·
Registered
15,846 Posts
There's 3 different spoilers used in 2019:

First is the spoiler used on all SXT, GT, R/T and is the standard spoiler on Scat Pack and 1320. It's the same familiar spoiler they've used a few years now and has the dip in the middle.

The second spoiler is only used on Scat Pack Widebody and Hellcat and it is the standard spoiler on both. It is 10 mm taller than the base spoiler and goes straight across with no dip in the middle.

The third spoiler is the SRT Performance Spoiler and it is optional on Scat Pack, 1320 and Hellcat and is new for this year and has that sweeping laid back design.

All three spoilers will interchange and the trunk holes will line up with the 2015 and newer trunks as long as that car has a rear camera.

It's apparently not just for widebodies, as I saw it yesterday on a non-widebody 1320. I'd want to paint it as the one currently on my car is body-colored. I might wait until someone manages to wad their car, and buy it from salvage. My main concern will be if the clips and screws use the same holes (probably so, since retooling body panels is expensive). Regarding the paint, I just wanted to determine if the paint was the same for different manufacturers. Some colors get reused (under different names) many times e.g. my Hummer H2 used "desert sand" which was a sort of greenish-gray that was used by Chevy, Subaru, and several other companies under various names. Pearl colors are more expensive in general, but a shop might charge me less for the Honda minivan color than for the more exotic Challenger (or Mercedes) version.
Yes, many times the colors are reused under different names but only thing that matters is the paint code. Destroyer Grey on Challenger is Sting Gray on Jeep and Ceramic Grey on Chrysler 300, but it's all the same color. So best to always go by the paint code which you will find on your door sticker, the names might be different but the paint code will always tell you what it really is.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,606 Posts
I believe it's the SRT Performance Spoiler $695 option Scat Pack and Hellcats

A Guy

Reactions: Frank Julian

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,606 Posts

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
7,613 Posts
Yeah, I am not a fan of that style. When he said "deeper" I was thinking of the 2018 Demon one.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,606 Posts
So, anyone who has the new Performance Spoiler, and previously owned a Challenger with the "normal" spoiler...does this new wingish spoiler help prevent the rear end from accumulating so much dust, etc? I'm wondering if the air flow characteristics have been affected in a positive manner so as to help prevent the piano black plastic from getting scratched, and the rear end accumulating dust and debris as it does now?

A Guy

·
Registered
203 Posts
That type of spoiler will always cause a vacuum at the back of the car which will cause dirt to swirl around and stick to your tail light panel. I have a taller spoiler (stock style) on my Javelin and I can't keep the grim off the tail light panel.

·
Registered
15,846 Posts
Will this work with a 2008-2014 Srt Challenger

Pierre_Piezo
It will fit but you will have holes in the wrong spot. You will have some to fill and some to drill.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,606 Posts
That type of spoiler will always cause a vacuum at the back of the car which will cause dirt to swirl around and stick to your tail light panel. I have a taller spoiler (stock style) on my Javelin and I can't keep the grim off the tail light panel.
I understand spoilers in general. I'm looking for Challenger specific, and this spoiler. It may well be no change, but the shape and size is different enough that there would be expected air flow differences, even if not ones that would help the dirty rear issue ;)

A Guy

1 - 20 of 30 Posts