Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to remove the front passenger seat on my 1320 to go racing, has anyone done this and what precautions or issues would arise? I've read other threads and still have some concerns, thanks, Steve.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It kinda makes me wonder since both the 1320s and Demons had on option to be delivered without a passenger seat, but still have a fully functional airbag system. There's got to be some sort of factory bypass system specifically for these cars.

·
Registered
2020 HellRaisin 1320
285 Posts
It kinda makes me wonder since both the 1320s and Demons had on option to be delivered without a passenger seat, but still have a fully functional airbag system. There's got to be some sort of factory bypass system specifically for these cars.
I haven't thought about it before, but do the factory single seaters have passenger airbags??? There's no passenger seat belts, and the decal specifically says the car is rated to only have one passenger, aka the driver. And its well know now that you can't legally add in passenger seats if they didn't come from the factory that way.

So if you think about it, there's no reason for those cars to have a passenger side airbag or even passenger side curtain airbags. They would be completely pointless. And that would cut weight too.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I haven't thought about it before, but do the factory single seaters have passenger airbags??? There's no passenger seat belts, and the decal specifically says the car is rated to only have one passenger, aka the driver. And its well know now that you can't legally add in passenger seats if they didn't come from the factory that way.

So if you think about it, there's no reason for those cars to have a passenger side airbag or even passenger side curtain airbags. They would be completely pointless. And that would cut weight too.
Good question. I bet the side curtain airbag is still there.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
19,608 Posts
From the manual

NOTE: Vehicles with front passenger seat deleted will not be equipped with the Seat Belt Buckle Switch, Seat Belt Pretensioner, Supplemental Seat Mounted Side Airbag, and Seat Track Position Sensors for the front passenger.

I'd think the dash and side curtain airbags must remain

A Guy

Reactions: OregonScat

·
Registered
111 Posts
So is it cool to remove the passenger seat for racing ? Any way to get the light off , maybe a resistor or something. Surprise nobody makes a plug for that application

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
So is it cool to remove the passenger seat for racing ? Any way to get the light off , maybe a resistor or something. Surprise nobody makes a plug for that application
Yes, you can take the seat out. No, you can't avoid throwing a code or triggering the light.

It is very unlikely that there will be a workaround for this. A dealer definitely won't monkey around with the SRS system. Most of the aftermarket companies don't want to deal with the liability.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
9,814 Posts
I've been taking the seats out of my 2014 SRT to race since I got it. Remove the two wiring harnesses ( found in most modern Challnegers) from under the seat. I actually only have one on my SRT Core, once unplugged I just remove the four seat bolts (using an E12 socket) and lift the seat out. Should save you around 55 lbs.

Reactions: RealG

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
When you reinstall the seat. And plug the harness back in does the light go out?
From my experience, on most makes and models, yes the light will go out once a seat is reinstated, although stored codes may remain.

Some makes and models actually need a seat recalibration, but I don't believe that is the case with dodge.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yes I’ve had experience with other brands also but I was specifically curious about the Dodge. Being that no passenger seat was an option at one point. No other manufacturer that I know of can make that claim.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
9,814 Posts
When you reinstall the seat. And plug the harness back in does the light go out?
Yes, I've had no issues and the seats are in and out of my car multiple times per race season. Also I don't remove the battery cable when taking seats out and I haven't seen any issues from that either.

Reactions: RealG

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I want to remove the front passenger seat on my 1320 to go racing, has anyone done this and what precautions or issues would arise? I've read other threads and still have some concerns, thanks, Steve.
I take out front seat when I go racing, just unplug and remove 4 bolts, air bag light comes on, that's it no worries

1 - 14 of 14 Posts