Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Challenger 1320
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The local dragstrip, about 20 miles away opened for test and tune last weekend. On Sunday I took my 1320 for its maiden voyage. I've been on a dragstrip before, but so long ago it may as well have never happened. This was also my first trip to this track, so definitely had a lot to learn!

On stock Nexen tires, My only performance mod is a Hellcat lower airbox, headlight tube and air filter.

I did EVERYTHING wrong - full tank of gas, left all 4 tires at street inflation, no burnout.

I talked to a guy running a Demon. He said traction was a big problem, but he was running mid 10s.

Low 60s temp. The announcer said DA was -140.

Using drag mode, everything set to "drag", except traction control set to "normal". There was no way to go around the water when staging at this track.

I didn't use the trans brake or 2 foot the launch - right foot on brake and move to gas on last yellow light.

First pass I cut a .94 second light:rolleyes:. The results boards at this track are at the 1/8. Thinking that was it, I lifted and ended up with a 14.2 second ET. Not too good, but got the butterflies out of the way.

Second pass I put traction control in "drag". Spun the tires and started fishtailing and had to let off. Very bad.

Third pass, back to traction control in "normal". Could feel the car pulling power in a few places. Best ET of the day - 12.7089 @ 108.49.
I'm on the right lane:

4th run, same setup. Lost a little ET - 12.724, but MPH up to 111.91and cut a .0215 light. Right lane again.

Could have gotten in a couple of more passes, but figured that was enough for the 1st trip. I need to play with the line lock so I can do a proper burnout. I really need to figure out minimizing wheel spin.

Had a lot of fun and talked to some really nice, helpful people. All things considered I'm happy with the car's performance. Need to improve quite a bit to break 11s, but I think it's in the car, driver not so much.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,515 Posts
Looks like the guy in the left lane had some traction issues as well. 15 seconds at 118 mph.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,424 Posts
I've been to Mason Dixon dragway. Not a bad strip, but not known for track prep.

If you have the time, Cecil County Dragway is only 2 hrs from Mason Dixon. The prep there is far better, and it too is a full 1/4 mile strip.

I was running there the same day you were at Mason (doing the Test n Tune during the Import Faceoff). The prep was fantastic and the DA between -900 and 80 all day.

Your 1320 is gonna surprise you with how capable it is...look into some true drag radials for the back; they're well worth it in terms of performance, plus you don't have to worry about ruining your street tires.

Car #646 - none of these are my PB

Reactions: jjklongisland

·
Registered
2020 Challenger 1320
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I'll check out Cecil County.

Looks like the guy in the left lane had some traction issues as well. 15 seconds at 118 mph.
It was a BMW M3. I didn't see him leave (too busy lol). He came by going real hard after I lifted.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've been to Mason Dixon dragway. Not a bad strip, but not known for track prep.
If you have the time, Cecil County Dragway is only 2 hrs from Mason Dixon. The prep there is far better, and it too is a full 1/4 mile strip.

Have either of you guys run MIR? Not sure about Cecil County, but I think MIR is known as some of the best prep on the east coast. My bone stock (heavy) SPS cuts 1.70 60', low, low 12's on street tires.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,714 Posts
111MPH in the ¼, dang, that is flying for a stock 6.4, right? I'd love to break 110 when I take mine out, but I doubt it will happen.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,424 Posts
Have either of you guys run MIR? Not sure about Cecil County, but I think MIR is known as some of the best prep on the east coast. My bone stock (heavy) SPS cuts 1.70 60', low, low 12's on street tires.
MIR is a great track; I've had some really good experiences there. Buuut...it also seems to be jinxed; I rarely get more than four runs in an entire day because (1) it's always crowded, and (2) there are A LOT of breakdowns and spilled fluids that seem to take forever to get cleaned up. The staff are great, the prep is great, and it's not too far from me. But those wait times...

VMP (Virginia Motorsports Park) just below Richmond in Petersburg, VA is one of the best tracks I've run at; and unlike MIR, I can't remember a time at VMP that I haven't been able to get 7-10 + runs in a given day.

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
The local dragstrip, about 20 miles away opened for test and tune last weekend. On Sunday I took my 1320 for its maiden voyage. I've been on a dragstrip before, but so long ago it may as well have never happened. This was also my first trip to this track, so definitely had a lot to learn!
View attachment 1017935

On stock Nexen tires, My only performance mod is a Hellcat lower airbox, headlight tube and air filter.

I did EVERYTHING wrong - full tank of gas, left all 4 tires at street inflation, no burnout.

I talked to a guy running a Demon. He said traction was a big problem, but he was running mid 10s.

Using drag mode, everything set to "drag", except traction control set to "normal". There was no way to go around the water when staging at this track.

I didn't use the trans brake or 2 foot the launch - right foot on brake and move to gas on last yellow light.

First pass I cut a .94 second light:rolleyes:. The results boards at this track are at the 1/8. Thinking that was it, I lifted and ended up with a 14.2 second ET. Not too good, but got the butterflies out of the way.

Second pass I put traction control in "drag". Spun the tires and started fishtailing and had to let off. Very bad.

Third pass, back to traction control in "normal". Could feel the car pulling power in a few places. Best ET of the day - 12.7089 @ 108.49.
I'm on the right lane:
View attachment 1017936

4th run, same setup. Lost a little ET - 12.724, but MPH up to 111.91and cut a .0215 light. Right lane again.
View attachment 1017937

Could have gotten in a couple of more passes, but figured that was enough for the 1st trip. I need to play with the line lock so I can do a proper burnout. I really need to figure out minimizing wheel spin.

Had a lot of fun and talked to some really nice, helpful people. All things considered I'm happy with the car's performance. Need to improve quite a bit to break 11s, but I think it's in the car, driver not so much.
Couple of good reaction times. Nice car. Looks fun!

·
Registered
4 Posts
View attachment 1017935

I'm on the right lane:
View attachment 1017936

View attachment 1017937

--Am also in Frederick, hoping to get out to MD this weekend. We didn't get out there @ all last year due to Covid. Will be looking for your 1320!!

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
449 Posts
Even though it's only about 20 minutes west of me, I haven't raced since '98. I only get out there for Mopar day anymore and, lately, that seems to always get rained out. Maybe when my '71 Charger finally gets put back together I'll get back into it. I could take my Scat Pack, but I don't really like drag racing with a manual.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts