Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there's this new guy at my job with a beautiful '08 Red Charger SRT, and he wants to race me to see my Challenger's got. Everybody at work claims that he would smoke me in a split second, which i can understand, given it's an SRT, but it's a 6.1, so i wouldn't think he is to a have complete advantage over me , as i read before that those can be more of a driver's race. He claims that his Charger is stock but i don't know, i'm a little iffy about that.
All i got is a CAI and a custom e-mail tune from Johan @ Diablosport. I just wanted to know if i have a realistic chance of beating him if/when we race. I heard those Chargers do have more weight on them, and the guy is dragging 20's i believe ( i have 18's). Got 2750 miles on her so VVT still hasn't kicked in i believe (3750?).
Although i have beaten an SVT Ford Lightning(mods Unkown) and a '99 Saleen 4.6 N/A( headers, tune) and a handful of Silverado's with moderate bolt on's, this may be my biggest challenge i've gotten, other than some random Camaro SS on the freeway that i refused due to endangerment of myself and those using the public road. :nono:
I understand that street racing is illegal and dangerous but i never race anywhere else besides a lonely stretch of road that is mainly used by big rigs during the day, which i also do at night to avoid any possible traffic, if any.

Anyhow, any thoughts on this? Any tips that i can probably use to my advantage? Thanks in advance!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,019 Posts
IMO only something of a drivers race but he should win w/o to much effort in a 1/4. If you only do an eighth then he can't make a mistake.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
This topic has come up before with some R/T drivers saying a stock 5.7 can beat a 6.1 in the 1/4mile consistently. I suppose they argue the torque curve etc. of the 5.7 is better than the 6.1. It's kind of a "can or worms" topic on Challenger Talk.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
I used to own a 300C SRT8 with an intake, exhaust and tune. It ran the same times at my 6-speed 392 Challenger does, every car and every driver is different I guess, but that 300 with a tuned 6.1 was strong. You will have to jump him early in the Challenger to beat him IMO.

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
462 Posts
It will be close if he's stock, I've personally taken a couple of 6.1's in the 1/4 mile with just an intake & tune. The charger weighs more and if you have 18s you have an even bigger advantage, not to mention you are running a custom tune. Win or lose it would be a good race. I would definitely accept his challenge.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will race him today then, since he has been real antsy to put his car up against mine. Will post results later tonight if everything goes through, might even post a video. :burnout: Honestly, i have to say that it'll be a shame for him if he loses, as he is so ****y with his ride.:lol:

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I don't know who would win. I mean, the 6.1 revs pretty quickly so you couple that with the HP and anything goes. If you're a standard and he's auto, he'll have you.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I raced a 6.1 300c at the track and we were dead even. Not sure what he had but I have custom tune from Johan and solo exhaust. It was 1/8 mile too.

13 rt 6spd

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
I raced a 6.1 300c at the track and we were dead even. Not sure what he had but I have custom tune from Johan and solo exhaust. It was 1/8 mile too.

13 rt 6spd
I think this is dead on. If you have a 6 spd and can drive it effectively you'll at least be dead even if you both have equal launches. I know this could start the exhausted manual vs auto debate but I stand by the M6 if one can drive.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
After the 1/8 I bet he would have pulled on you.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Ive had both and I think he will beat you by a little if he is still stock compared to your custom tune. It will be close though. He will start to pull past the 1/8 mile mark.

And I hope you have an auto because if you have a stick you better be damn good.....

Ive run consistant 12.9's to 13.0's bone stock with the 2007 SRT Charger I had. Best time was a 12.9 @ 110. Best time I had with the auto R/T's I had was 13.2's @105 both stock.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well turns out the guy is off until wednesday so i won't get a chance to race until then. My car is automatic btw. Great hearing input from many of y'all. From what it seems, the best chance i got is on an 1/8th. Any tips on how to get a good launch on him?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Not to be a naysayer, but unless you've seen under his hood, 6 years with a 6.1 SRT is 6 years too many to not have modified it and my money would be on the Charger.

Also usually with 20's you get width which translates into traction which by extension usually means speed and victory. The 18's on the R/T I think are 235mm wide which is much skinnier than aftermarket 20's usually are.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
The wheel size could go either way, too. True, wider tires could be fit on the 20" wheels, but the 20" wheels are also heavier than the 18" wheels, and the OD of the standard tire size on the 20" wheels is also a bit bigger. So that has the effect of making his gearing a bit taller. If he went cheap with aftermarket 20" wheels (with plus width size, too?), then they are definitely heavier, and that may sap enough hp advantage over the entire run to even things out, altogether.

If you are on the 18" wheel, they are pretty light, and it can accommodate up to a 255 wide tire (255/50r18 is the perfect size for width and a tick smaller OD than stock, to go on the stock 18" wheels...particularly the rear, if you are open to a staggered config). Of course, if you are still on the stock 235 wide tires, you are definitely traction-limited out of the gate. Most likely, the tires the other guy has on an SRT8 will be more grippy and wider, so he will probably have a pretty good launch over you (unless he happens to suffer a serious bout of wheel hop, right at that moment). If you are on the original Michelin "green" energy tires, forget about races, altogether! :p You got no traction, and the only way you could possibly beat the other guy is with sheer weight advantages (slightly lighter car, light wheels/tires) and an utterly perfect launch, and probably that won't be enough. You might hold even for a remarkable length of time, and then he clobbers you with extra top end (i.e., pk hp) at the top of each gear.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My wifes 08 Charger Srt Super bee can hang in there with my 392 m6, Aint no slouch. Good Luck!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Take your spare out, and run with a 1/4 tank of super, lol. Good luck brother! Show 'em what us fab '14rs can do.:weed:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Weeeeeellllllllll????? It's Friday! What happened?:elephant: lost, or locked up for racing?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts