Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cousin just bought a new evo and right off the bat he said he wants to race. I guess a grudge match from when I beat him in his turbo del sol.

How do you guys see this through. I know I wont beat him and I'm fine with that. Love the challenger anyways. He was the power to weight ration and awd. I'm running a custom tune from Johan as well as a solo exhaust. What else would I need to keep up? I have been thinking about a 100 shot as the best bang for your buck.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Being in So-Cal your options are limited. Nitrous it the best bet for you. I was going to say that longtubes and a cam would be needed but that won't fly in your state. Nitrous for sure.

Reactions: Renlo

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what i figured seeing as I dont have the doe for a SC.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
If you add nitrous, or add any reasonably priced performance mod to keep up with his car, what is to stop him doing the same? Then you are back to square one.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Yaanufs, square one at the least. Those cars respond like crazy to tunes and bolt-ons. My fiancé has a hatchback turbo Lancer and it wouldn't take anything to make it kill my car. Hopefully she doesn't figure that out.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Got this Data from the "Top Speed" site:

make:2014 Mitsubishi
Model:Evolution
Price:$35000
Engine:inline-4
Transmission:5-Speed Manual (6-Speed Auto Opt.)
Horsepower 291 @ 6500 RPM, Torque 300, @ 4000 RPM
MPG(Cty):17MPG(Hwy):23
Displacement:2.0 L
0-60 time:4.9 sec.
Top Speed:146 mph
Layout:Front Engine, All-Wheel Drive

Site showed 13.7 for 1/4 mile time. You may be able to close on him, and possibly beat his 1/4 mile time. As mentioned earlier, if he gets simple bolt on mods....you will probably lose. Some sites claim 0-60 in 4.5. Probably with good drivers. AWD helps for sure.

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
Do you have an A5 or M6? Don't they run mid 13s? With your mods, a roll race should be an easy win. Depending on the speed you guys race to, a dig race may be the only chance for him to win.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
I've beaten a couple brand new ones at the strip. They're not that fast compared to the 392. In your case with the RT, I'd say it's a drivers race. Go out and practice your launches. Practice a lot because his is an AWD. Practice practice practice. You have a chance if your launch is good.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
If you can hang close out of the hole you should be able to slightly pull him on the top end.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im 6m. And as mentioned above, hes gonna spray later for sure and I might. So it might just be a drivers race for now. Too bad im on f1's for now.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Good tires can be a "game changer."

Im 6m. And as mentioned above, hes gonna spray later for sure and I might. So it might just be a drivers race for now. Too bad im on f1's for now.
Get a pair of Drag radials and practice. I bet you beat him.

Reactions: Renlo

·
Registered
312 Posts
No point in talking about a paper race.

Race him and let us know how it goes.

But to play the game I suppose, AWD launch and Power to Weight Ratio is in the Evo's favor. Top end the Challenger has it. If it was a roll race, I would say the Challenger would win.

·
Supporting Vendors
1,329 Posts
The driver mod is the most important. It may be a fairly close race stock vs. stock, but the better driver will win, especially when AWD is involved

I wouldn't discredit the Evo X, few mods here and there and it can be pretty quick.

Nick C.

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
The half shafts will be the weak point. Even on a stock M6 challenger with sticky tires.

Though the A5 can take a bit more of a beating. I've got a 3600 stall and my rear has held well with consistent 1.70 60's.. I also have 120,000 miles on it.

Reactions: FWB and 45slug

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Speaking from experience, when racing an EVO (or any turbo AWD import) you HAVE to nail the launch. Bork that, and you're screwed. Last time I raced an EVO (EVO 8 MR) I was running a bolt-on stock turbo SRT4 but those things ran about the same as a stockish R/T. So if you're going to go for it, I would hope you're pulling 1.5 sec 60 fts or packing a 100 shot. All that is assuming the EVO is stock. If not, then all bets are off.

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
he will get you out of the hole without drag radials.... but he will run out of steam in the higher rpms compared to you... if you can nail a launch and not miss a shift. you got him.. My best time in my RT 6m was lauching from like 1k rpms and timing the gas with the clutch release.. if i revd at all. i just spun... Also on the F1s

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
Need a 1.5 60'? Had a guy at the local(ish) track a few weekends ago running his newer evo. All he mentioned was a tune and he could only pull low 13s at just over 100mph. He said his 60's were in 1.8x range...which I've pulled on street tires as well..

Sadly, he wouldn't race me..even with the "v8 killer" sticker on the side window.. He just stuck to racing a 4.6 Mach1 and a v6 Camaro..

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I raced a 2012 and beat him handily in the 1/8th.It seems most of these young kids simply lack much skill at drag racing. I'm 76 and win more often than not against cars that should spank me.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Lashlarue, was that evo stick or DST? The dual clutch cars are very fast but the manual cars will lose boost between shifts

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
If you know how to launch and can speed shift without missing gears, you have a chance. Again it's a drivers' race.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts