Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2017 R/T Plus Shaker with the active exhaust. I really don't care for the sound and want to swap out the factory cat-back for an aftermarket (Flowmaster) kit. They list the Force II for 2015-16 as well as an American Thunder kit for the same years, but not 2017 and later. I had the Force II on my 2010 and really liked that it was silent inside but throaty outside. I might want to do the Thunder kit on this car to fit with the mods I want to do later when the warranty runs out.

Did the 2017 and later get the 2 3/4" exhaust? The Flowmaster kits are 2 1/2" which is fine for what I'm doing, I just want to make sure they'll bolt up.

Yes, normally I'd call FM but it seems like their tech guys aren't that good now that they're part of Holley.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,845 Posts
They don't have a kit that deals with the AEV in the Force II, or American Thunder. They do have a FLOWFX kit with the valves. It's a 3" system

A Guy

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They don't have a kit that deals with the AEV in the Force II, or American Thunder. They do have a FLOWFX kit with the valves. It's a 3" system

A Guy
Yes, but I'm not worried about removing the valves. Valves like that shouldn't be behind a Flowmaster anyways. That's why they only have the FlowFX kit.

I did speak to them today and the mufflers in the Thunder kit aren't what I want either. I think I'm just going to have to have something built.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,845 Posts
Ahh, ok, you have a plan to deal with the disconnected valves and just want a system without them. You're the 1st I have seen here who wasn't impressed with the new active exhaust on the R/T ;)

A Guy

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ahh, ok, you have a plan to deal with the disconnected valves and just want a system without them. You're the 1st I have seen here who wasn't impressed with the new active exhaust on the R/T ;)

A Guy
I don't see where they actually do anything performance or sound wise. From what I've seen you can leave them disconnected without an error code.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,845 Posts
Not unless things have changed. Either have to tune them out, or have simulators, or have the valves hooked up and hung from the car. Unless something has changed. A Guy

·
Registered
13,965 Posts
I don't see where they actually do anything performance or sound wise. From what I've seen you can leave them disconnected without an error code.
No not true, you will definitely get a code. The reason they stop at 16 is because they don't have a way to address the CEL that you will get when you remove the factory system.

And they do plenty sound wise, the valves are constantly moving and adjusting and at cruise they keep the drone out. It's an awesome high dollar system and think it's sounds great, and I can't imagine ripping it out.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No not true, you will definitely get a code. The reason they stop at 16 is because they don't have a way to address the CEL that you will get when you remove the factory system.

And they do plenty sound wise, the valves are constantly moving and adjusting and at cruise they keep the drone out. It's an awesome high dollar system and think it's sounds great, and I can't imagine ripping it out.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Mine does have some drone to it but for me the glasspack fart/rasp sound is just terrible. I'll find a way to deal with the valves and get some Flowmasters in there.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

A Guy
I guess my question would be - what's there to be impressed with? I don't see where it does anything different from any other factory exhaust system - which is to fit, be cost effective, make it past warranty and comply with federal sound regulations.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,845 Posts
Well, I've heard the new active exhaust on an R/T, and it's so much better than before the AEVs. I know some people may not be satisfied with it, but so many probably hear it, and it's just right. To buy a car, and not have to mod the exhaust to get the sound you like is a bonus. I'm not saying you have to like it, just that everyone else seems to. And it is different now that it has the AEVs.

A Guy

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I've heard the new active exhaust on an R/T, and it's so much better than before the AEVs. I know some people may not be satisfied with it, but so many probably hear it, and it's just right. To buy a car, and not have to mod the exhaust to get the sound you like is a bonus. I'm not saying you have to like it, just that everyone else seems to. And it is different now that it has the AEVs.

A Guy
Good points. I didn't mean to sound argumentative if I did come across that way. Sound is one of those subjective things, and for me I just don't care for the sound at all. Honestly, it reminds me of when I had 2" dual exhaust on my modified 225 Slant 6 1971 Demon. At idle it sounded good, but when you'd rev it up it just sounded like a giant fart.

I'll figure something out that's to my liking.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,845 Posts
The economy thanks you ;)

A Guy

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Looks like the American Thunder kit has a built-in solution...…….But it's not available to use factory tips. Sigh.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Looks like the American Thunder kit has a built-in solution...…….But it's not available to use factory tips. Sigh.

um, cut the tips off & weld on your factory tips?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts