Dodge Challenger Forum banner

'15 and later exhaust sizes

4K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Midlife Crisis '16 B5 
#1 ·
I recently bought a 2017 R/T Plus Shaker with the active exhaust. I really don't care for the sound and want to swap out the factory cat-back for an aftermarket (Flowmaster) kit. They list the Force II for 2015-16 as well as an American Thunder kit for the same years, but not 2017 and later. I had the Force II on my 2010 and really liked that it was silent inside but throaty outside. I might want to do the Thunder kit on this car to fit with the mods I want to do later when the warranty runs out.

Did the 2017 and later get the 2 3/4" exhaust? The Flowmaster kits are 2 1/2" which is fine for what I'm doing, I just want to make sure they'll bolt up.

Yes, normally I'd call FM but it seems like their tech guys aren't that good now that they're part of Holley.

#4 ·
They don't have a kit that deals with the AEV in the Force II, or American Thunder. They do have a FLOWFX kit with the valves. It's a 3" system

A Guy

#5 ·
Yes, but I'm not worried about removing the valves. Valves like that shouldn't be behind a Flowmaster anyways. That's why they only have the FlowFX kit.

I did speak to them today and the mufflers in the Thunder kit aren't what I want either. I think I'm just going to have to have something built.

#6 ·
Ahh, ok, you have a plan to deal with the disconnected valves and just want a system without them. You're the 1st I have seen here who wasn't impressed with the new active exhaust on the R/T ;)

A Guy

#9 ·
Not unless things have changed. Either have to tune them out, or have simulators, or have the valves hooked up and hung from the car. Unless something has changed. A Guy

#13 ·
Well, I've heard the new active exhaust on an R/T, and it's so much better than before the AEVs. I know some people may not be satisfied with it, but so many probably hear it, and it's just right. To buy a car, and not have to mod the exhaust to get the sound you like is a bonus. I'm not saying you have to like it, just that everyone else seems to. And it is different now that it has the AEVs.

A Guy

Reactions: GSBrockman
#14 ·
Good points. I didn't mean to sound argumentative if I did come across that way. Sound is one of those subjective things, and for me I just don't care for the sound at all. Honestly, it reminds me of when I had 2" dual exhaust on my modified 225 Slant 6 1971 Demon. At idle it sounded good, but when you'd rev it up it just sounded like a giant fart.

I'll figure something out that's to my liking.

#15 ·
The economy thanks you ;)

A Guy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.