Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I autocross my Scat Pack. First off, if you never autocrossed your car, you should.

But, on to the question. I'm looking to make some suspension adjustments to my car for next season, I want to give the car a bit more turn in by putting in a bit more caster and possibly a bit more camber for better cornering. My question is, does anyone have the default spec for alignment, also, what is adjustable, and how much?

I'm going to get a lifetime alignment at a local goodyear shop, they do frequent adjustments for other autox guys.

Also, any one ever done any alignment adjustments for autox? I don't want the car so twitchy it is a giant pain to handle on the road, but I do want to give me a bit of an edge.

·
Registered
863 Posts
here are the non SRT specs. No experience with changing angles.
Hope it helps.
Tom.

Attachments

·
Vendor
12,206 Posts
very little adjustment possible without custom components that basically don't exist at the moment, working with several manufacturer to develop control arms and coil over system, real adjustable coil over system that will achieve true adjustability

Luke

·
Vendor
12,206 Posts
most autox course are short with tight if not very tight turns, trying to turn the Challenger is like trying to park the Titanic, not easily done

for serious autox use with little concern for tire wear

the following would be a good starting point

front

-2.5 to -4.0 negative camber, between 9 and 10 degrees of caster, 0 to 1/8 toe out

rear

-2.0 to -2.5 negative camber with 0 to 1/8 toe in

since i cannot get any where near those numbers in the front, Im running over 11 degrees of caster trying to compensate

biggest positive impact, are the biggest tires you can get to fit, especially front

recommend lowering with Mopar stage one springs and adding front and rear strut braces and frame connectors, welded are much better, but require more work

Luke>:)

·
Vendor
12,206 Posts
ps. Bigred will turn, we improve dramatically last season by the time we got to NOLA, and major changes are coming for next season

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
most autox course are short with tight if not very tight turns, trying to turn the Challenger is like trying to park the Titanic, not easily done

for serious autox use with little concern for tire wear

the following would be a good starting point

front

-2.5 to -4.0 negative camber, between 9 and 10 degrees of caster, 0 to 1/8 toe out

rear

-2.0 to -2.5 negative camber with 0 to 1/8 toe in

since i cannot get any where near those numbers in the front, Im running over 11 degrees of caster trying to compensate

biggest positive impact, are the biggest tires you can get to fit, especially front

recommend lowering with Mopar stage one springs and adding front and rear strut braces and frame connectors, welded are much better, but require more work

Luke>:)
Thanks for the info Luke. I'm looking at adding the strut braces and connectors over the winter and was also wondering about the alignment adjustability. Great info as always!

Sent from my SM-S765C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Excellent info guys!

I am in F Street, a street class. I need to keep the suspension stock, so I can only adjust what is adjustable stock.

I threw a set of Kumho Ecesta's on the Scat and I'm currently tire friction limited to about 1.11g in turning or breaking and about 0.65 in acceleration. Next year now that the light v6 cars have been moved out of F Street I won't have any competition that has a distinct weight advantage on me.

None of the v8 mustang guys can drive worth a shit, so they are no threat. I expect to take #1, assuming the guy with the Charger Hellcat doesn't show up enough to be a points contender.

Autoxing the Challenger is a blast. The '15 scat can turn a lot better than you would think for her size. On the tight non horsepower oriented courses the difference between us isn't as extreme as you think. The real problem with Autoxing a challenger with nearly 500 ft lbs of torque is that you have to have a feather touch on the accelerator. The back end does not have nearly enough meat to keep the back end square, especially when you are also turning.

Again, thanks for the info!

Obligatory autcrossing pic:

Race numbers:

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Excellent info guys!

I am in F Street, a street class. I need to keep the suspension stock, so I can only adjust what is adjustable stock.

I threw a set of Kumho Ecesta's on the Scat and I'm currently tire friction limited to about 1.11g in turning or breaking and about 0.65 in acceleration. Next year now that the light v6 cars have been moved out of F Street I won't have any competition that has a distinct weight advantage on me.

None of the v8 mustang guys can drive worth a shit, so they are no threat. I expect to take #1, assuming the guy with the Charger Hellcat doesn't show up enough to be a points contender.

Autoxing the Challenger is a blast. The '15 scat can turn a lot better than you would think for her size. On the tight non horsepower oriented courses the difference between us isn't as extreme as you think. The real problem with Autoxing a challenger with nearly 500 ft lbs of torque is that you have to have a feather touch on the accelerator. The back end does not have nearly enough meat to keep the back end square, especially when you are also turning.

Again, thanks for the info!

Obligatory autcrossing pic:

Race numbers:
Look into getting some Bridgestone RE71s on her. They grip a lot better than the Kumhos.

Where are you from?

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Look into getting some Bridgestone RE71s on her. They grip a lot better than the Kumhos.

Where are you from?

They did not make RE71's in 20" last year. I've heard rumors they will be making 20 sized tires soon*.

I autox out of the Great River Region, we cover eastern iowa and western illinois.

SCCA GRR

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
They did not make RE71's in 20" last year. I've heard rumors they will be making 20 sized tires soon*.

I autox out of the Great River Region, we cover eastern iowa and western illinois.

SCCA GRR
They came out with them two months ago and are limited stock right now. They have 245, 255, 285 & 295 all in 20" now. I'm in East Tn Region.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts