Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed with my charger that when cruising in drive, either with the stock tune or cmr loaded, that once it goes into mds mode, then engine seems to lug and want to try to stay in it. Which then results in some wierd harmonics and drone with my corsa. I understand that this rpm range is a weak spot in the power curve, and the harmonics will be different because of mds mode, but this just seems.. more so. I was just wondering if anyone else on here has noticed anything similiar with their challengers, especially those with an after market exhaust. The only other thing i can think of, is that i did have a 3.06 getrag installed a while back, and maybe something on the exhaust isn't as tight as it could be, but if that was the case, then i'd figure it would constantly make noise.

Thanks for the replies

Rob

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I've noticed with my charger that when cruising in drive, either with the stock tune or cmr loaded, that once it goes into mds mode, then engine seems to lug and want to try to stay in it. Which then results in some wierd harmonics and drone with my corsa. I understand that this rpm range is a weak spot in the power curve, and the harmonics will be different because of mds mode, but this just seems.. more so. I was just wondering if anyone else on here has noticed anything similiar with their challengers, especially those with an after market exhaust. The only other thing i can think of, is that i did have a 3.06 getrag installed a while back, and maybe something on the exhaust isn't as tight as it could be, but if that was the case, then i'd figure it would constantly make noise.

Thanks for the replies

Rob
I have a 6 speed so I don't have personal experience with this. However, I have read numerous reports of sucky sounding exhaust when MDS cuts in, especially those with aftermarket exhaust systems. I think the only way around it is to disable MDS, which I'm sure can be done.

I'm sure someone with some experience will chime in.

Good luck!!

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Yep, sounds like you're experiencing the 'MDS Drone'. The only way to minimize it is to go back to stock exhausts or get Corsa's exhaust with the RSC anti-drone technology.
Remember, when you hear that sucking or feel it, your Hemi is gulping the gas. That is why when you're getting up to speed or going up a slight incline, go into auto stick mode at the highest possible gear as soon as you can. These 8 cylinders under a light load use less fuel than the MDS trying to 'suck' along.
So,,, just learn to use your auto stick (unless your hands are full of french fries..:))

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mopar10, i already have a corsa sport exhaust. I'm just trying to see if the drone in this range is as pronounced with other people with similiar setups. on a side note I have been using auto-stick more and more in city driving to avoid it.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Mopar10, i already have a corsa sport exhaust. I'm just trying to see if the drone in this range is as pronounced with other people with similiar setups. on a side note I have been using auto-stick more and more in city driving to avoid it.
Opps, sorry. I have the Corsa/Mopar (not the extreme either) and I can tell a difference when MDS kicks in but I'm listening for it with the radio off. I've taken many people on rides and no one mentioned the 'slight' change in exhaust note. Mine is barely noticeable even with the windows down driving slow. I will admit it's a 'tad' more than the stock suitcase exhaust but the extra torque and power is well worth it.
And not too loud but mean enough (like a lion yawning) and then opens up like a lion roaring at wot.
Since the Corsa Sport exhaust has the RSC technology, I wouldn't think you should be worried.
Just use your auto stick to get to cruise at a reasonable hurry, engage D (MDS), and turn on your radio. Then you should be set.
And, I think you'll find it gets better and better with miles. (Don't forget to have them retorque the mounting bolts after a few hundred miles)
Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Yep, sounds like you're experiencing the 'MDS Drone'. The only way to minimize it is to go back to stock exhausts or get Corsa's exhaust with the RSC anti-drone technology.
Remember, when you hear that sucking or feel it, your Hemi is gulping the gas. That is why when you're getting up to speed or going up a slight incline, go into auto stick mode at the highest possible gear as soon as you can. These 8 cylinders under a light load use less fuel than the MDS trying to 'suck' along.
So,,, just learn to use your auto stick (unless your hands are full of french fries..:))
Or just disable MDS with a Predator. That's what I did, and problem solved.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I have the MOPAR cat-back and get the same thing. My exhaust also POPS when coming out of MDS mode like there is fuel in the exhaust that lights.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts