Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My SXT Plus came stock with 245/45 20's for front and back.

I just had it lowered by Eibach with their Eibach Pro Springs (yes, if you live near their factory, they will install their springs).

Now I am looking at adding a hub centric 15mm Wheel Spacer for the front and rear.

Wondering if anyone has gone done this path and if there is any issue's I may run across.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Do you plan on installing extended studs? 15mm is too big of a spacer for stock studs.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you plan on installing extended studs? 15mm is too big of a spacer for stock studs.

We'll I went ahead an pulled a trigger and ordered a set. This type does not need extended studs and based on a previous post here on challengertalk, I shouldn't have to adjust the current studs to use these (will see)

My plan is to install a pair at a time and ensure I am not getting any vibration issues before installing another pair.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/201860950603

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
We'll I went ahead an pulled a trigger and ordered a set. This type does not need extended studs and based on a previous post here on challengertalk, I shouldn't have to adjust the current studs to use these (will see)

My plan is to install a pair at a time and ensure I am not getting any vibration issues before installing another pair.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/201860950603
OK those are adapters so you're correct you won't need longer studs. However make sure whatever wheels your planning to use have pockets on the back to allow the extra factory stud to stick into or you won't be able to mount the wheel.

·
Registered
486 Posts
My SXT Plus came stock with 245/45 20's for front and back.

I just had it lowered by Eibach with their Eibach Pro Springs (yes, if you live near their factory, they will install their springs).

Now I am looking at adding a hub centric 15mm Wheel Spacer for the front and rear.

Wondering if anyone has gone done this path and if there is any issue's I may run across.
Just curious... Where are the tires hitting? Thought I've seen others do this without the need for spacers. I may be wrong.

Oh wait a second, you didn't say they were hitting.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,771 Posts
I assumed he wanted to move them out a bit...could be wrong...

A Guy

Reactions: tomlaq

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, just want to move them out a bit without having to think about rolling the inside or scraping the edge, 15mm (0.6") would seem to fit the bill, the freeways in SoCal are not the greatest and hitting a dip at 100mph sucks when you hear the scrape.

but the factory wheels do have a pocket.

Attachments

·
Vendor
12,578 Posts
confused:|

there is no reason to space out wheels, especially stock wheels when lowering, need more info.....tire sizes, what wheels,

you can lower a car into the weeds with stock wheels and not have any rub issue

also I'm a big opponent of spacers, sure way for a wheel to come loose and find your self upside down
Luke

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We'll the 15mm spacers exposed to much of the bolt and wouldn't let the wheel properly attach, I returned these and went with a 20mm spacer (all wheels) that then only allowed 12.5mm of the bolt to be exposed and sat within the wheel cavity with no issues.

I went back and forth regarding safety and concerns but it would seem that spacers are used quite often in higher performance situation and as long as the installation is done properly, ie property seating, even surface, torque, thread lock. It should be good.

The one thing I did noticed is that with the lip on the spacer required me to be a little bit more square with the wheel when putting it back on, as I will need to remeasure but I believe it was under 1mm larger in diameter so it allowed less slope when putting on the wheel. Driving it around I am not perceiving any vibration due to any improper balance, cruising on the streets or freeway.

I am buying new tires next week and I will check the torque on the nuts used for the spacer then.

I'm loving the look...

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
That looks good man!!!
I've used spacers on various cars for years to get the look I wanted. So long as those are torqued down, and they're hub centric, you should have no vibrations or any other issues.
I've autocrossed, driven 2000 miles round trip, and generally beat the hell out of my cars with wheel spacers with no issues. There's a right and a wrong way to do everything, and if you do it right (which it looks like you have), you'll have no issues.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts