Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger Scatpack Torred
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Just have a few questions to ask as I'm considering some new tires.

I'll be driving these tires in the summer only as I live in Canada we get 4 to 5 months of good winter. I'd like to get something that hooks nicely and I've been reading around and it's confused me a whole lot more with the mixed answers lol.

So firstly many people have told me to throw on Drag Street tires, maybe MT ET Streets, and only to throw it on the rear for some rain traction on the street, but also because the rear is where you really want to hook, and the staggered style gives more downforce.

Would you recommend rear wheel only?

Also I believe stock wheels are 20x9, what are the widest tire size I can opt for. Many on YouTube are running on as high as 335! Their claiming no issues on stock rims, but I find it hard to believe such large sizes can me adjusted for standard Challenger body and not widebody.

What do you all think?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey everyone,

Just have a few questions to ask as I'm considering some new tires.

I'll be driving these tires in the summer only as I live in Canada we get 4 to 5 months of good winter. I'd like to get something that hooks nicely and I've been reading around and it's confused me a whole lot more with the mixed answers lol.

So firstly many people have told me to throw on Drag Street tires, maybe MT ET Streets, and only to throw it on the rear for some rain traction on the street, but also because the rear is where you really want to hook, and the staggered style gives more downforce.

Would you recommend rear wheel only?

Also I believe stock wheels are 20x9, what are the widest tire size I can opt for. Many on YouTube are running on as high as 335! Their claiming no issues on stock rims, but I find it hard to believe such large sizes can me adjusted for standard Challenger body and not widebody.

What do you all think?

Your help is greatly appreciated!
Are using it for street driving or track?
They use spacers for the wider tires and if they go bigger without redoing the fenders they rub.
what Trim do you have?
my stock tires hook fine rain for just daily driving and i have HC.
i heard the NIT05 are good for grip on road. MT Dr are good for track.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really Street driving. R/T scat Pack. The 245 don't hook at all! My old Hellcat stock tires never hooked! Lol.

·
Registered
2017 T/A 5.7 A8 front and rear strut braces frame connectors
1,133 Posts
You can drop your E.T by about 1 second you need the bigger sidewall to hook good the low profile tires are not made for the drag strip weigh your options its a lot of money for 1 second

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe I should look at a blower package for the 392 then? I hear 6 to 8 psi boost is still very reliable.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,784 Posts
Might start a blower discussion in

A Guy

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Curious to get some more opinions on tires. As many have said the 245s don't stick for Street driving much.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
629 Posts
If you're ok with only getting 1,500-2,000 miles out of rear tires, go with dedicated drag radials like the Nitto or MT. They won't be ideal for much except straight line traction and you can still spin them some if you simply floor the car from a stop on a non-prepped surface.
If you're asking about size, 275/40/20 is a good place to start with the stock 20x9 wheels. Nitto 555R and MT ETS-S/S are both available in that size.

If you want the tires to last slightly longer and be more of an "all around" choice, look for a summer tire with a treadware in the 200-300 range.Most of these will last about 5x as long as a true drag radial, but YMMV of course.

For pure straight line traction, no need to do anything to the front tires since they are simply along for the ride. Block whoever was talking about downforce.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts