Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I get on it (wide open throttle) my coolant temp gets in the 230-245 range. At idle, it sits at 195. I replaced the thermostat and it’s still doing the same thing. No apparent leaks. Water pump sounds fine. No play in the pulley either.

I have a Legman cold air intake,180*tstat, Jay Greene tune, mid muffler delete, and resonator delete. This happened after sitting and not starting for two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
That doesn't seen normal I wonder if it's a ECU programing problem with the VVT not advancing the timing far enough? On my old points and rotor cars, if the timing got too far retarded, the engine would run much hotter than normal.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you bleed the air out of the system after changing the t-stat?

This issue occurred after the car sat in the garage for two weeks. I let her run for 15 min went to the gas station for fuel then took her on the highway and that’s when i noticed it.

I did bleed the air out last night though and i haven’t driven it since then.

·
Registered
959 Posts
If it will idle at 195, the problem is elsewhere. I suspect, the tune.

You don't need fans over about 35mph and temp settling to stat temp, indicates that the stat is working. It could also be normal for hard driving (less likely).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it will idle at 195, the problem is elsewhere. I suspect, the tune.

You don't need fans over about 35mph and temp settling to stat temp, indicates that the stat is working. It could also be normal for hard driving (less likely).

Today i let it warm up and drive it down the street. The temperature reached 240. Shut it down and towed it to a shop.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I have had, brand new, out of the box, thermostats that were bad.

With your old stat, it took some hard driving, if I understand your post correctly. Hope it gets sorted out.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,570 Posts
I run a 195 thermostat on my SC 5.7 and after warm up on a summer day (80) the idle temp is still in the 210s. It is not until I hit the highway that I see 195-197. I thought the 6.4 have a hose where the bleed plug is, at least that is what I saw in internet pics? Doesn't that help with the bleed out of the system?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have had, brand new, out of the box, thermostats that were bad.

With your old stat, it took some hard driving, if I understand your post correctly. Hope it gets sorted out.

This makes me feel a lot better lol. Because it did seem to get worse when i put the new thermostat in.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,570 Posts
This makes me feel a lot better lol. Because it did seem to get worse when i put the new thermostat in.

Wonder if your pressure cap is working too? You want some pressure in the system to prevent boiling in certain locations of the block.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Wonder if your pressure cap is working too? You want some pressure in the system to prevent boiling in certain locations of the block.
Good point. When I rebuilt the 340 in my Barracuda, my new, out of the box, NAPA, cap AND thermostat were bad, if you can believe that. Got hot, boiled over and such. It took a lot of head scratching because you assume new parts are good, so it must be something else.

Long story short, another new cap (actually a used OEM one I pulled off a dodge truck) and a new thermostat that I tested in a pan of water with a meat thermometer, mad it run at a solid 180, even on the hottest day.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts

I overheated my engine going faster than 60mph because a shop put in the wrong coolant, hopefully it’s as simple as that

·
Registered
230 Posts
I overheated my engine going faster than 60mph because a shop put in the wrong coolant, hopefully it’s as simple as that

What did they use, syrup? Seriously, the type of coolant shouldn't matter as long as it doesn't chemically react with what is already there. I'm not arguing, just confused (don't worry, it happens a lot).

·
Registered
46 Posts
What did they use, syrup? Seriously, the type of coolant shouldn't matter as long as it doesn't chemically react with what is already there. I'm not arguing, just confused (don't worry, it happens a lot).

Lol I don’t know it was a light green color, but it does matter apparently, I’m not sure but I think the different year/model SRTs have different colored coolant for that reason. But yeah once they didna coolant flush and added the orange mopar coolant all was better

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,570 Posts
Lol I don’t know it was a light green color, but it does matter apparently, I’m not sure but I think the different year/model SRTs have different colored coolant for that reason. But yeah once they didna coolant flush and added the orange mopar coolant all was better

It does matter. Dodge switched from HOAT to OAT which are not compatible. My wife 2013 has and orangish coolant color when it should be pinkish (OAT is purple new). I just drained and flushed her system as the top of the radiator and recover tank had sludge...looked like this:

2013 coolant is orange/pink, should be purple? - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The shop told me the temperature after the thermostat housing is at 210 and the temp before the thermostat is at 140. So they’re thinking it’s the thermostat. They are Currently looking for a better quality 180* thermostat.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts