Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I let my daughter drive my R/T 6 speed with me in the passanger seat.
I hope i still have some clutch left?
But this is something she will always remember,her dad letting her learn to drive the Classic Hemi R/T BLk 6 speed Pricelees - a clutch.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
She'll be spoiled. I know it's a lot of power, but it's also a lot of torque. That makes it easier to learn on a manual than some 4 cylinder ricer car. I haven't tried it on the Challenger, but when I had my GTO, you could put it in 1st, and just slowly let out the clutch; forget about the gas, and it would take off rolling. Getting it going is 90% of driving a clutch, if you forget starting on a hill, but then these cars have hill assist as well, right?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
She'll be spoiled. I know it's a lot of power, but it's also a lot of torque. That makes it easier to learn on a manual than some 4 cylinder ricer car.
I find this to be highly silly comment...but you referred to the japanese car as a ricer, so of course I see the bias.

I learned to drive stick on my old 89 Honda prelude...Honda makes some very nice and easy to drive sticks (the s2000 is considered to have one of the best manuals out there)...And Nissan...nissans are probably the easiest sticks I've ever owned/driven. granny clutches.

The Challenger...its not that simple of a stick to drive in comparison. The high clutch engagement is something that takes getting used to. There is a higher learning curve to driving the Challenger's stick, more finesse is needed. And for a new driver...trying to figure out the gas/clutch ratio on something with as high of engagement point as the Challenger...doesnt matter how much torque it has. Its not easier.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I find this to be highly silly comment...but you referred to the japanese car as a ricer, so of course I see the bias.

I learned to drive stick on my old 89 Honda prelude...Honda makes some very nice and easy to drive sticks (the s2000 is considered to have one of the best manuals out there)...And Nissan...nissans are probably the easiest sticks I've ever owned/driven. granny clutches.

The Challenger...its not that simple of a stick to drive in comparison. The high clutch engagement is something that takes getting used to. There is a higher learning curve to driving the Challenger's stick, more finesse is needed. And for a new driver...trying to figure out the gas/clutch ratio on something with as high of engagement point as the Challenger...doesnt matter how much torque it has. Its not easier.
Consider it anything you like. I highly doubt you have been driving stick shift cars half as long as I have.

As far as the "ricer" comment, I have been an advocate of Japanese quality in cars for possibly longer than you've been alive. It's only recently that I've had a very bad experience with Nissan. In fact, about 20 years ago, I swore off American cars, telling many people I would buy a used Japanese car with 100K miles before I'd buy a new American car. This Challenger is my first foray back to American in that time. (The GTO I had was actually Australian, so I don't count that one as American)

The point I was trying to make, and maybe I was unclear, is that like the GTO, you can actually slowly release the clutch on these cars in 1st gear and the car will roll. If you remember back to learning a clutch, the coordination of clutch:gas at start is one of the toughest things to learn. 2nd-6th gears it's just a matter of making sure the clutch is in before you move the shifter. Actions like this are only possible with a high HP, high torque engine. With the Japanese cars we've had, if you tried that, there would be a lot of bucking, jumping, and stalled engine.

Be careful who you call silly; it can show how silly you are.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Consider it anything you like. I highly doubt you have been driving stick shift cars half as long as I have.

As far as the "ricer" comment, I have been an advocate of Japanese quality in cars for possibly longer than you've been alive. It's only recently that I've had a very bad experience with Nissan. In fact, about 20 years ago, I swore off American cars, telling many people I would buy a used Japanese car with 100K miles before I'd buy a new American car. This Challenger is my first foray back to American in that time. (The GTO I had was actually Australian, so I don't count that one as American)

The point I was trying to make, and maybe I was unclear, is that like the GTO, you can actually slowly release the clutch on these cars in 1st gear and the car will roll. If you remember back to learning a clutch, the coordination of clutch:gas at start is one of the toughest things to learn. 2nd-6th gears it's just a matter of making sure the clutch is in before you move the shifter. Actions like this are only possible with a high HP, high torque engine. With the Japanese cars we've had, if you tried that, there would be a lot of bucking, jumping, and stalled engine.

Someday I'll have my Challenger, but right now I have a GTO. One cool thing is that you can pretty much start in any gear and if you let out on the clutch gradually the car will give the engine enough power to get it rolling. I imagine the Challenger does this too?

·
Registered
17 Posts
lucky girl

she is starting out the right way ! in a mopar !!!!! lucky girl, trusting dad,,,lol.... as for the jap car comment, i have been on the uss arizona memorial 3 times ! nuff said bout that !

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
I let my 18 y.o. daughter drive my 2009 Challenger before it went into the shop for mods. It was an experience and I ended up telling my daughter that she needs to stick to automatic transmissions.

A couple of years later, after she got married, she and her husband purchased a Toyota Corolla with a manual transmission. She ended up teaching herself how to drive a manual transmission on the Corolla.

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
Everyone should learn how to drive a manual when they start driving. You never know when you will need that skill.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
So if you were Japanese you'd consider this a compliment?
At my age, I've pretty much heard it all. I can remember being called a "cracker" when I was younger by guys in the black community. And no, it didn't bother me. I've probably been called worse.

Ricer, and "Rice Boys" are used a lot by the people that drive Japanese cars to describe themselves. People that are offended by the least little thing just need to take a step back and get over it. Maybe it would help to get a life.

Frankly, I'm a little tired of the PC bull in this country where slang references that, at least in my mind shouldn't be taken in a hurtful way, but some people wear their feelings on their sleeve and jump at anything they can. The only thing I regret is this comment has been jumped on and is derailing this thread from it's original intent.

I'm guessing you probably also think the Washington Redskins should change their name?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Someday I'll have my Challenger, but right now I have a GTO. One cool thing is that you can pretty much start in any gear and if you let out on the clutch gradually the car will give the engine enough power to get it rolling. I imagine the Challenger does this too?
That was the point I was trying to make in my original post. My son already had learned a manual trans when I bought our GTO, but he was at least able to drive it, I let him take it to 2 proms and there were a lot of good times for him in that car.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Op how does it feel to be the COOL DAD? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Everyone should learn how to drive a manual when they start driving...
My daughter and I were in my pickup one day (manual transmission) when she made a comment about never being able to learn to shift gears. I promptly pulled over, got out and told her to drive. After a while she realized it was either learn to shift gears or sit on the side of the road.

That was 10 years ago. She's been shifting ever since ;)

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Back in high school we had the name of Greaser for the car guys and Jocks for the athletic bunch. Greaser never offended me and I never shot any one for calling me one.
I learned to drive a stick in my first car, a '73 Duster and I gave my daughter my '96 Ram with a 5 speed stick. She loves it. My son also has a stick in his truck. My Step son and his wife both drive stick Rams.
But after 7 ankle surgeries I ordered the Challenger in Automatic for safety concerns.

·
Registered
526 Posts
At my age, I've pretty much heard it all. I can remember being called a "cracker" when I was younger by guys in the black community. And no, it didn't bother me. I've probably been called worse.

Ricer, and "Rice Boys" are used a lot by the people that drive Japanese cars to describe themselves. People that are offended by the least little thing just need to take a step back and get over it. Maybe it would help to get a life.

Frankly, I'm a little tired of the PC bull in this country where slang references that, at least in my mind shouldn't be taken in a hurtful way, but some people wear their feelings on their sleeve and jump at anything they can. The only thing I regret is this comment has been jumped on and is derailing this thread from it's original intent.

I'm guessing you probably also think the Washington Redskins should change their name?
Well said,couldnt agree with you more,more often than not while driving my challenger around Toronto or the GTA young kids in their so called "rice burners" give me the thumbs up :thumbsup:a modified import is not my thing but it gets that generation off so to each their own.I remember out of the blue my dad let me slide behind the wheel of the 68 Olds Delta 88 convertible "What a tank" I was 16 and remember it like yesterday.
Im quite sure your daughter in mid life will remember it as well :bigthumb:
The big hurdle now is she"ll want one of her own in FF color stay clear of dodge dealers :pimp:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
The point I was trying to make, and maybe I was unclear, is that like the GTO, you can actually slowly release the clutch on these cars in 1st gear and the car will roll.

:cowtounge:

Its called idling...and you can do it quite easily on those "rice burners" as well. If you let the clutch out too much...yep, you bog, shimmy, and shake, you'll do it in the challenger, too.

If you know how to drive, and let off the clutch easily the car will simply begin to idle forward on it own. I do it in LA traffic all the time, and have done it variety of japanese cars.

It was one of the first things I was taught...and I learned on those "rice burners"

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Hey, i had a CT70. Never called it a rice burner. lol.

We called every jap car a rice burner in the 60s and 70s, wasn't a malicious term then. Its a generational thing where they coopted the language.

Glad to see another dad teaching their kids how to drive a stick, I'm doing the same for my own 15 year old daughter, she'll be learning to drive in my challenger r/t since her mom had an accident this morning and the nissan is out of the picture for a while. I'll be teaching my daughter how to drive a stick in a twin turbo stealth with a stiff performance clutch in it, and 450 AWHP. Its the only clutch car available now.

·
Registered
536 Posts
My first car was an s10 pickup on bags (when mini trucks were in) and the car I learned to drive stick in. On the first day of school I thought I was the coolest guy around, so I decided to take a couple friends to lunch in my new ride. When I was leaving the parking lot I had to stop at a stop sign before entering the road. At this point I was about to go down a steep driveway when I stalled my dam truck since my front end hit the street. The funny part of this story was my other friend was behind me in his truck and not paying attention to the fact that i had just stalled my car. Needless to say, he rear-ended me. :pokeowned:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts