Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To break it down simply, I put 18x5s on the front of my new charger with 28x6r18 MT sportsman SR tires. They handle beautifully on the street as compared to the 17x4.5s and M&H tires that I run on my Challenger (mostly at the strip). I would like to move to keep a skinny on the Challenger all the time (versus the 17x7s I currently run when not hitting the track) but I just can’t deal with the handling loss that the M&H tires create. I obviously have a set of 17x4.5s so I’d rather not spend more to get a 18x5 if I don’t have to.

The 28x6r18s have a 1650 pound @95psi rating (I run 65psi daily on the charger). The comparable size in 17s only support 1175 @50psi which, in my head, is a little close for comfort in terms of the Challenger weight distribution. Though my car has never seen a scale, the weight reduction that I have calculated brings my car down to 3900-4000 if not less.

Has anyone run the MT Sportsman SR in 28x6r17 on their cars as a daily (or not) and think they were a solid setup? Do they bulge significantly contacting the pavement? Pictures?

Thanks everybody

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: dgillogly1

·
Registered
127 Posts
What are the handling issues with the 17x4.5 on your Challenger? I'm trying to decide on 17 inch wheels for my daily driver. I like the looks of JMS Avenger the best but they only offer 17x4.5 for the front. My other option is Race Stars which I can get in 17x7 for the front but I do prefer the JMS which do not require special washers or hub centric rings. Thanks for any help.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s not so much the wheel you pick (though obviously a smaller width will not handle as well) as it is the tire you put on.
The M&H front runner on the 17x4.5 I have to baby a little daily driving. Slow turns, etc. In contrast the 18x5 with a MT Sportsman Sr tire on my Charger is just like a normal setup. Handles beautifully and I don’t baby it at all.
I currently run a 17x7 on the front of my Challenger and they are solid but again, it depends on the tire largely.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Skinnier tires will also track very easily compared to a bit wider. Just like on a bike ,with a skinny front tire a rut in the road can pull you right off course.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts