Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys know if 18" wheels will fit 2017 SXT with blacktop package? I am looking at new 2017 SXT and want rear view camera but don't want 20" wheels for our NJ roads. I just don't know if there is anything different with brakes that may make the 18" not clear the calipers or rotors.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Not what you asked, but I wouldn't worry about the 20"s. Still plenty of rubber to absorb the hits. I live in Jersey, my Challenger is a daily driver, I drive on the Schuylkill every day and have hit some nasty potholes and have not had really any problems. Needed 1 alignment in the last 4.5 years.

·
Registered
110 Posts
There are no problems with 20 in wheels in NJ. Also if you change the wheels the ECM has to be reprogrammed so the trans knows when to shift and the speedometer is right. Not just a easy swap.

·
Registered
107 Posts
What's the difference in tyre diameter? If it's close to factory specs, what's the danger in that?
To answer OPS question, I think any sxt/rt cars have the same calipers/pad setup- different pads of you have STP, but that's it. They should fit just fine, and work well,so long as you don't change the diskette too much (no clue if a code will pop up it what, I have not changed from 20s to whatever when the tyres are toast).

·
Registered
SXT Plus
204 Posts
Not what you asked, but I wouldn't worry about the 20"s. Still plenty of rubber to absorb the hits. I live in Jersey, my Challenger is a daily driver, I drive on the Schuylkill every day and have hit some nasty potholes and have not had really any problems. Needed 1 alignment in the last 4.5 years.
There are no problems with 20 in wheels in NJ. Also if you change the wheels the ECM has to be reprogrammed so the trans knows when to shift and the speedometer is right. Not just a easy swap.
This is good to know. Having the 20's on mine and it being my daily driver as well I had some concerns.

Nice to see some fellow Jersey family here.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The transmission will not know when to shift the tire rotation tells the ECM when to shift the car. It will cause premature trans failure. The cars Computer is calibrated to operate on the systems installed at the factory. I am sure the speed is more that 2 miles and hour as it is calculated by tire rotation. And I believe the Speedometer error is between 6-10 mph at 70mph.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
According to tire calculator, the difference in speed at 60 mph is only 1 mph. So the 18" tire will travel 59 mph when 20" travels at 60 mph.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,880 Posts
I just put 20s on to replace my 18s on my SXT, no issues there but you were asking the reverse of this.... I haven't noticed any difference in mph going to a slightly larger overall diameter wheel/tire combo but the difference would be minor anyway.

·
Registered
14,269 Posts
18's will absolutely fit and work properly on an SXT originally equipped with 20's. And the bonus is you get the bigger R/T brakes that SXT cars originally equipped with 18's do not have.

SXT w/ 18's
single piston front calipers
12.6" front rotor, 12.6" solid rear

SXT w/ 20's, R/T w/ 5.7L
dual piston front calipers
13.6" front rotor, 12.6" vented rear

But will clear fine.

Here's the new style 18's on a Scat Pack!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts