Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello this issue happened to me again. At first glance I thought it was the brake pads so I changed them and it stills happens. Mostly during cold starts. As I am pulling out my drive way pressing on the brakes slowly letting go. It starts to like whistle or screech sound. I don't know why! What could it be? Please help! Anyone else experienced this? It's at 2018 scat with only 25k miles.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,230 Posts
First impression is the brakes are making the noise. Do you hear this noise, any noise, when using the brakes at other times? If yes then my vote is brakes are squealing. While this can be dust build up that in my experience -- as least if done before the noise gets real bad -- can be removed with washing the brakes then afterwards driving the car and using the brakes enough to heat them up and thoroughly dry them (this is important) it may be due to something else. Generally brake noise from dust is not very loud.

A couple of times the brakes made a horrible noise. Once when I was driving slow down a road surface littered with tiny branches the broke loose after an ice storm. Another time just as I backed out of the office parking space.

In the first case a twig got caught between the rotor and its dust shield. I was able to dislodge this by reversing the car and turning the wheel lock to lock.

In the 2nd case a small rock got between the rotor and its dust shield. Backing the car didn't not dislodge it. And the noise was a horrible screech. I had to jack that wheel up and remove it and then use a bar to pry the dust shield away from the rotor -- just a bit -- to let the caught rock fall out.

Another possible explanation is the brake pads (at least one) is worn and the finger/post of the pad is making contact with the rotor. (For years my cars have had a brake pad warning sensor system and the warning light is a much less intrusive form of brake wear notification compared to the noise a pad can make.)

If you do not hear the noise when using the brakes at other times then maybe not the brakes. In this case the noise could be coming from a couple of places. The accessory drive belt can be slipping. Either the belt is suffering from miles (granted 25K miles is not that many miles) or age (2018 ain't that long ago) or the tensioner has lost some tension or an accessory drive is presenting a heavier than normal load and the noise the belt slipping. The water pump is often the most common accessory drive to develp a problem. An idler roller bearing (or tensioner roller bearing) can be bad. My experience -- with another car -- is these can fail at around 25K miles.

The accessory drive system needs to be checked for any signs of belt degradation, any signs of the belt slipping on an idler roller or accessory drive pulley. Tension needs to be checked. The water pump checked for any leak sign. Often if the water pump is bad it is noisy and leaks too.

In one case when I heard a noise that I thought could be coming from the accessory drive but wanted to be sure, when the engine was cold I removed the accessory drive belt -- carefully noting its routing -- take pics! -- and its direction of rotation -- and stated the cold engine and let it idle only long enough to confirm the noise was not present. This prompted me to take a closer look at the accessory drive hardware. I noticed the (relatively) new belt had a sharp inside edge. I checked the old belt it its edges were dull. This was a sign the new belt was not tracking properly but making contact with a pulley side. A serpentine belt should not touch the pulley sides.

A test for bearing play found a bit at the water pump. This was sufficient to condemn the pump as none of the other accessory drives have any bearing play whatsoever.

My advice is unless you are prepared to get your hands dirty to correctly identify the source of the noise then address its cause to get the car to a qualified tech for his professional diagnosis.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts