Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I be afraid of getting a diablosport trinity so early since my car was released? I found that I cant install this viper alarm I bought because the firmware isnt availiable. I also notice that people are saying they cant use their trinity (for whatever reason).

My question is should I consider waiting on this? I would hate to buy something I cant use again.

Thanks,
Dustin

·
Registered
580 Posts
Should I be afraid of getting a diablosport trinity so early since my car was released? I found that I cant install this viper alarm I bought because the firmware isnt availiable. I also notice that people are saying they cant use their trinity (for whatever reason).

My question is should I consider waiting on this? I would hate to buy something I cant use again.

Thanks,
Dustin
I wouldn't do anything to such a new car that might put your new car warranty at risk. There's a chance tuning the car could put some type of code into the computer that the dealer could find that could cause the dealer to deny some type of warranty claim for some type of problem. I'm not saying it will happen. I'm saying wait at least six months to make sure all is right with the car and the aftermarket has caught up with the new model year. After all, you plan on keeping the car forever, right? Why rush into things.

My question is why are you adding a new alarm. The car comes with an alarm already. Messing with the electronics on these cars is risky adventure, in my opinion.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
1. I had a buddy get a 17 scat stolen. They didn't flat bed it, they got his frequency and jacked it straight up. took them 5 seconds to steal it. He had lojack on it, when he got to his car (3 hours later) it was completely stripped, no engine, doors seats nothing. It was pretty much a shell. They're are skilled thiefs in the Detroit area.

2. I live in a bad area, yes I have a garage but I wanted some increased security for it. I currently have a clutch to steering wheel club which helps but not by much. Because of the configuration of my driveway it makes it impossible to get a tow truck up there.

Lastly I'm an electrical engineer that deals with RFID signals and I guarantee if I had my fob and a computer with a RFID reader/writer I could hack my own car in a few minutes, it would only take me that long because it would be my first time doing it. I honestly don't like the security of these vehicles stock not needing a key to start the vehicle.

Ill take your post as a recommendation not to screw with the computer, thanks!

Edit: Additionally my alarm has a tilt sensor, a 2 way fob, backup battery, and glass break sensor.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,236 Posts
You shouldn't use a Trinity on the factory PCM; you run the risk of bricking the PCM.

For 2015+ you have to buy either buy a second PCM to use for tuning, or have your factory PCM modified. There are warranty risks for both, depending on the situation and your dealer's position on catering to the modification crowd.

I'm not sure what the Trinity could do to support the Viper alarm installation/operation, but I don't believe a tuning device is going to help. That would be an awfully narrow market niche for the Viper alarm manufacturer to cater to; it should be able to be used by just about anyone...you may have to wait for them to update their software for your model year.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Viper and Trinity are completely unrelated as far as I know, he was just asking about it. But both do connect to some form of computer system on the car, I suppose ill mail the alarm back as I have no need for it now.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
For now I believe that for 17 and newer cars, you must purchase a 16 model pcm and have it unlocked to tune. So if your tuning for just bolt ons its not worth it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts