Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at getting an SRT. The one I'm looking at right now is an '18 and i wanted to know if there are any known issues I should specifically be looking for before I buy. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I bought my SRT new in 2016, and have had ZERO issues. This is a very, very well built car. Just buy it, you will love it.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
I've got a 16 and not one issue either.

The one thing that many do address is the brakes, the 6-piston brakes are great but they are an expensive maintenance item when that time comes. Many including myself have swapped to the Z23 PowerStop pads and this will reduce brake dust and extend rotor life and they work great on the street. For track or racing use, stay with the stock pads.

The other possible issue is the Uconnect. The system changed in 17 and it was not as reliable as the years before, 18 got better so you might not have any problems.

Overall these are great cars and well built with not a lot of issues, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Main things you want to think about are the:
2 wheel options
Suede/alacantra vs full Nappa leather
Auto/manual
Compare to a new 2019 scat pack 392

I cant prove it, but I really think the 2019 model devalued the SRT 392’s so you can get a better price for one. Either way, I think you win.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
They deleted the Hyperblack wheels for 18 and made the black Hellcat 5-spokes standard with the brass monkey wheels optional, not a big fan of either and thought the Hyperblacks were nice.

I've got the black Alcantara and after 3 years and 20K miles, it still looks like new.

A8 rocks and love it.

I could live with a new Scat Pack, it would have to be a loaded Widebody as close to the SRT as possible and would be a hell of a ride.

Yeah the mods is a good point, definitely watch for signs of modding and buy a stock car if possible and get the dealer to print out the service history. You need to see an oil change every 6 months since the car was new or the engine warranty is in jeopardy.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
If used, make sure you run the VIN through a dealer and ensure the warranty is NOT been voided and that will also show you any recall/warranty work done to the car and maintenance done by a dealer. You will also know the in service date so you know when the warranty ends.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. Flying out to pick it up tomorrow. I'm sure I will be having more questions soon.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Awesome! Please take some pics and let us know what color, stripes, etc you got. I have had mine for 3 days and can’t get over how sweet it is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, i got it and I love it. More comfortable than i thought it was going to be, better mileage than my 300C was getting, and tons of power. A buddy and i flew down to Salt Lake last Wednesday to pick it up and made the road trip back to Oregon in the new car. It only had 10K miles on it and I'm a little over 12K now.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,919 Posts
It's a looker...congrats ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
537 Posts
Sharp car! Congrats.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Nice looking ride. What do you guys think about a used 18 SRT with 3.5k miles for 44k? Its in excellent condition. Torred with red interior and hellcat wheels. I would have to pay a little extra to get it transported closer and find my own financing.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Nice looking ride. What do you guys think about a used 18 SRT with 3.5k miles for 44k? Its in excellent condition. Torred with red interior and hellcat wheels. I would have to pay a little extra to get it transported closer and find my own financing.
You should always find your own financing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Since i just went through this long distance purchase i can give you some advice. It sounds like a great car but with yours as well as mine being an '18, be sure nothing has been done to the car to void the warranty. Fortunately for me, my seller was awesome. He babied the hell out of the car and bought every extended warranty they offered him at the time of purchase.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well it looks good in pics and description with clean carfax and I'm assuming nothing has been done to it since its so new. The thing is its at one of those car buying/selling places and they want 650 to transfer it to my state before I can even see or test drive it in person. The price is also a few grand more than I wanted to spend, but it just looks to good to pass up. They also can't do an appraisal on my car until I go down there and its over a 3 hour drive. I'm hoping they say I have 3k or so in equity and then it won't be too bad, but other dealers have said anywhere from 500-3k. Another wrench in the mix is apparently Ohio doesn't allow you to save the difference in taxes on the trade value between cars if you are buying a used car, although they do for a new one so right there is another 1.3k I would miss out on. They approved me for the loan at over 9% financing, haha. I did find a credit union that is offering 4.5% for a 72 so it may be doable, but IDK just sounds like it will end up costing me more than a new car or 100 or so more a month.

I looked at a new 1320 last week and got them down to 42k from over 47 plus 3k equity in my trade. I almost pulled the trigger, but that car was black on black and I know how hard it is to keep that color clean and it had the summer racing tires I would have to change. I'm guessing I can find a new Scat Pack for the same ballpark, although it may be a fight to get the discounts like the last place. They didn't want to give me the friends and family discount at first because I don't have any connection but the sales guy was willing to give me one of his friends pin or something. I was also building one on Dodge site very close to the SRT specs that I would like (auto, red with the red plus interior, red brakes, Alpine, driver convenience and NAV) for around 47k, but that car doesn't exist at the moment and I would have to order it and doubt I could get more than 4k off. Plus I would like wider wheels like maybe the brass monkey package that is supposed to come out this month for 795 extra. That would be a nice car and brand new, but it still wouldn't have some of the SRT options like adaptive damping, flat bottom steering wheel and better seats. Not to mention I like the SRT badges and exclusivity better.

I also found a used black 17 SRT from a private owner for 39.5k with 4.2k miles and also a granite 18 TA for 40k with 850 miles for 39.5k that has some extras done to it by the owner like tint, ceramic brake pads and clear protective film on sides, front and back that looks to be an awesome deal, but just kind of bland color combo with the grey interior. My last car was grey and really wanted something a little more showy this time like red or blue. I also haven't ruled out the Camaro 2SS as there are a few left over 18's for sale in the 36-39k range that are loaded with options and they are offering the 2k conquest for owning a Mustang.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts