Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals im wondering if my 180 stat is working properly. It stays around 195 degrees all the time and my fans are always on. I have a trinity with a custom tune and my fan settings are on low with ac off ls Mph 195 ms 199 hs 199 and on high Ls 199. Ms 202 Hs 208. I have tired lower fan settings. And it never drops no matter how colder it gets. Could i have a Faulty one? or am i doing something wrong? Thanks for any help. Matt

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
Hey guys and gals im wondering if my 180 stat is working properly. It stays around 195 degrees all the time and my fans are always on. I have a trinity with a custom tune and my fan settings are on low with ac off ls Mph 195 ms 199 hs 199 and on high Ls 199. Ms 202 Hs 208. I have tired lower fan settings. And it never drops no matter how colder it gets. Could i have a Faulty one? or am i doing something wrong? Thanks for any help. Matt
Only fan setting you need to set are the AC OFF Low MPH (High speed 198, Med speed 196 and low speed 194).
High MPH fan seetingsd don't do much as you have air flow through the radiator.
195 seems about right as that is where your fans are set. The only way to have 180 temp is if the fans are set lower than 180. Not recommended

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only fan setting you need to set are the AC OFF Low MPH (High speed 198, Med speed 196 and low speed 194).
High MPH fan seetingsd don't do much as you have air flow through the radiator.
195 seems about right as that is where your fans are set. The only way to have 180 temp is if the fans are set lower than 180. Not recommended
Ok i set my fans at your settings and one thing i notice is the temp will come down to 190 but the fan wont shut off at all. What would be causing it to keep staying on when i set it at 194 and it goes below 194 to 190 and still keep on? maybe my custom tune? im confused. Lol

·
Registered
420 Posts
i also would like to know what the optimal fan settings should be for performance and life of the fans w/180 t-stat and trinity in PHX AZ year round.....i posted this up about a month ago worded different and no one responded....

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Mine runs 185-190 all day long with the 180 t-stat, I don't quite recall what I have my fan settings at. I think it's 188, 193, 198? Or possibly 183, 188, 193.

Also, OP, when you installed the 180 t-stat did you make sure the pin hole in the t-stat is at the highest point in the housing?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine runs 185-190 all day long with the 180 t-stat, I don't quite recall what I have my fan settings at. I think it's 188, 193, 198? Or possibly 183, 188, 193.

Also, OP, when you installed the 180 t-stat did you make sure the pin hole in the t-stat is at the highest point in the housing?
I didn't know i had to check anything. before i installed it

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
I didn't know i had to check anything. before i installed it
Yeah, definitely want to check this if you didn't pay attention (or know to look) when installing it. The pin hole is to allow proper bleeding of the cooling system, if that hole isn't at the top then you can trap air behind the t-stat, which can cause any number of strange things to happen. Depending on which t-stat you bought, the bleed hole may not be obvious. The hole in my Speedlogix t-stat was hiding under one of the metal arms. Here's what you want to be looking for.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, definitely want to check this if you didn't pay attention (or know to look) when installing it. The pin hole is to allow proper bleeding of the cooling system, if that hole isn't at the top then you can trap air behind the t-stat, which can cause any number of strange things to happen. Depending on which t-stat you bought, the bleed hole may not be obvious. The hole in my Speedlogix t-stat was hiding under one of the metal arms. Here's what you want to be looking for.

Oh ok thank u i bought the jet one so i will have to take it apart and look

·
Premium Member
9,215 Posts

I just learned something new, thanks.

·
Registered
420 Posts
still cant get consistent fan setting for ac on and ac off in Arizona desert...diablo e-mail still hasn't been responded to...i guess i refuse to accept that for optimal performance/fan life the settings should be the same across the board....

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
Diablo or any tuner is not concerned with fan life...they are looking for optimum performance. while I tune my cars, I am pretty sure tweeking every parameter of an engine will decrease life expectancy of various components. Price I am willing to pay to go faster

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
still cant get consistent fan setting for ac on and ac off in Arizona desert...diablo e-mail still hasn't been responded to...i guess i refuse to accept that for optimal performance/fan life the settings should be the same across the board....
What are you expecting or wanting to happen, have the fans turn off at some point? You could always just go back to the stock settings, but I think you'll find that doing so will negate the effects of the 180 t-stat under certain conditions.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
If the factory settings aren't the same w / ac on/off ...than why would the setting be the same w/ the 180 ac on/off...or am I just missing something???

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
The A/C will blow colder at low MPH or idling when the fans are running at a higher speed at lower temps, so the difference is for A/C efficiency. If you want to be able to start your car and have the A/C cool it down faster and work better in traffic or sitting at lights then basically set the A/C on settings to run the fans on high even when the temp is normal. Then with the A/C off you have the fan settings bumped up a little bit so that it's maintaining temp at low/med fan speed instead of running at high speed. Turn the A/C on and the fans kick up their speed.

That's how I'd set it up, anyway.

My point was more that if you reset the fans back to stock then the engine will run hotter under certain conditions and the 180 t-stat will be pointless and the fans will just end up cycling on and off all the time, which is likely to be even worse on fan life than just staying on at a low speed.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Ok so i finally had a chance to take apart my tstat and i put it at the 12 o clock so the pin hole is on top now. Is the pin for the pin hole soppose to be loose? Or tight cuz mine is a little loose.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Ok so i finally had a chance to take apart my tstat and i put it at the 12 o clock so the pin hole is on top now. Is the pin for the pin hole soppose to be loose? Or tight cuz mine is a little loose.
Supposed to be loose so you're all good. :) Whether it will make a difference for you or not I don't know, but at least now you know that it's installed right. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Supposed to be loose so you're all good. :) Whether it will make a difference for you or not I don't know, but at least now you know that it's installed right. :thumbsup:
Thank u sir u been a big help i just burp the system took her for a spin the fans are coming on at 194 and my temp is staying around 190 to 194 in city and on hwy around 187 and now my fans are cycling On and off like there soppose too. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts