Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
You don't see a lot of t-stat failures, but I would bet the more expensive ones are a higher quality. I personally like the JET 180 because it spikes in temperature when it initially opens up and ten settles back to ~180 degrees. The good thing about the initial temp spike is it takes these cars past the temperature point that would result in an error code for net getting warm enough.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I use my stock thermostat but if were to get an 180* I would go with the JET thermostat as well. Very quality built unit and it has a built in bleeder so that you can get rid of any air bubbles that are in your system. I used to have this in my car before and had no issues with it.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
no matter what thermostat you use you still have to pull the plug in the front of the water pump and PURGE the air out once you change the t-stat out. otherwise you will have air in the system

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
I never purged mine when I installed the jet 180. The jet stat has a hole, just make sure the hole is at the 12 o'clock position when installing it. After the install open the radiator cap and you'll get a few bubbles.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
no matter what thermostat you use you still have to pull the plug in the front of the water pump and PURGE the air out once you change the t-stat out. otherwise you will have air in the system
There's no need for that, that's what the pin hole in the t-stat is for and why the expansion tank is the highest point of the cooling system, air bubbles will work their way up to the tank and the system self-bleeds, at most you'll have to top off the coolant in the expansion tank to replace what was lost during replacement or displaced by air bubbles.

·
Vendor
12,274 Posts
what we install are the Mishimoto, in stock, 41.50 + 5.95 SHIPPING
Luke

·
Registered
481 Posts
I dropped in a "pronto 416-180" 180 f tstat. Seems like a drop of 20 degrees from OEM tstat. Should be getting my Trinity TODAY!!

·
Registered
648 Posts
excuse my ignorance....what do you gain from a 180 t stat?....car drives cooler?

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
excuse my ignorance....what do you gain from a 180 t stat?....car drives cooler?
Exactly...the car will now start flowing the radiator at 180 vice 203 (the stock one is a 203 thermostat)

If you get one, just remember the pinhole goes at NOON!!! LOL I put it in and forgot all about the pinhole, then realized I forgot when my wife asked me that night what I was doing to my car....so I had to pop back in the next day to correct it..LOLOL You only make that mistake once, then you will remember every time going forward...:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts