Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Im a Newbee to modding. I have a 5.7 6spd challenger rt classic. At the current time I have purchased a predator tuner/mbrp exhaust/Mopar Cai but have not installed any of them. The exhaust and the tuner are pretty simple, but Im interested in the 180 stat everyone is talking about. I don't know where to get it nor how to install it. Furthermore, if I have to tune my car for it I wouldn't know where to begin. Some people say I could do it with the predator but don't have the slightest clue how to do it. Pls help! Any info is appreciated. Thank You

·
Registered
177 Posts
Stack Performance sells a nice 180 degree T-Stat but I know some folks buy them at Napa, AutoZone, etc. If you install the t-stat be sure to "burp" your cooling system to avoid damage to your engine. You will also need to readjust your fan speed. As a suggestion, you might want to consult with your local speed shop for assistance. If you use the search feature of ChallengerTalk you'll find a lot of informative threads dealing with Predator tuning and installing a 180 degree t-stat and a whole lot more... Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Thermostat

Hey, installing the thermostat is ratherveasy and fakes all of ten minutes. I purchased a Jet thermostat part 10183 I Canada for about 25 bucks. As for programing as long as you have the predator it is rather easy to do just go in and modify tune. There is a temp setting at the top

All LS (Low Speed) Fans: 190.xx
All MS (Medium) Fans: 193.xx
All HS (High Speed) Fans: 195.xx

I raised my settings a little higher that suggested but found the fan does not go on nearly as much. On another note when you go to install the stat remember there is a small breather hole that needs to be in the 12 o'clock portion or at the top. The jet comes with a new gasket so it is really simple.

Remove the upper rad hose clamp. I placed a bucket under it to catch the coolant when taking off the hose from the stat housing.

Remove the 2 bolts and the the housing will pop of. Wiggle out the old stat and place the new one in.

Put everything back together in reverse. You should be good to o.

I'm really pleased with the mod.

Good luck

Todd:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Just like they said, simple to do. Got my Jet on Amazon for $34 (free shipping), best to go with quality on something this important.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
If you install the t-stat be sure to "burp" your cooling system to avoid damage to your engine.
just wondering, what is the process for burping the system? i did a search with not much luck, but i remember threads a while back saying its not necessary and some say it is.

so how is it done exactly?

thanks

·
Registered
864 Posts
T-stats arent that much are they? I got mine at summit when i got my predator and coulda sworn it was only like $12 or something?

Easy stuff though, basic tools, yank it, drop in the new one, refill the fluid and bleed er. theres vids on how to on the internet too. No prob man do it to it!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Toddsmith: Remove the upper rad hose clamp. I placed a bucket under it to catch the coolant when taking off the hose from the stat housing.

Remove the 2 bolts and the the housing will pop of. Wiggle out the old stat and place the new one in.

Put everything back together in reverse. You should be good to go. :scratchhead:

Actually, you are NOT good to go. If you don't evacuate the captured air you are asking for big trouble. There is a theard that details the steps necessary to bleed the cooling system after dropping in the t-stat or refer to the advice given by BigBear and find a video on the subject. Put it this way, if you replaced the master cylinder on your vehicle would you bleed your brake lines or just hop in your car and drive down a step hill? :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So much Help

Thank you guys! I dont know what I'd do without you! Very very helpful. Ordered the catch can from stack and the jet stat from amazon. cant wait till it arrives

·
Registered
72 Posts
you just need to make sure your t stat has a jiggle pin. or a small relief hole 1\16. this lets water pump push air out. the stock t stat has a jiggle pin. o ya if its a napa or motorad u need to buff down the od. a little to make it fit, ther a little larger than stock. the jiggle pin lets it self burp.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
you just need to make sure your t stat has a jiggle pin. or a small relief hole 1\16. this lets water pump push air out. the stock t stat has a jiggle pin. o ya if its a napa or motorad u need to buff down the od. a little to make it fit, ther a little larger than stock. the jiggle pin lets it self burp.
I think that they all have the relief hole, the Jet does anyway. The Jet comes with a replacement gasket and fits right in. I've had mine in for months with no trouble codes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts