Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the many years of arguing back and forth about having the stock t-stat or not, I decided to install my Jet 180* back in this weekend. That being said, I immediately adjusted the fan speeds accordingly with my Predator and burped the cooling system of air bubbles.

We all know that our Zoomers exhaust doesn't flutter when warming up, it's only once it reaches higher temps, or normal operation temps that the flutter comes on.

I've noticed now that my car runs cooler at idle, that there is a LOT less flutter. In fact with the engine fully warmed up I can barely notice any flutter (I use the OEM tips). Now the flutter is equalled if not overpowered by the rumble of the exhaust. This observation was standing BEHIND the car/tips while the engine was fully warmed up.

Just thought i'd share my observation. :bigthumb:

Reactions: Havoc51

·
Registered
510 Posts
I noticed this also on mine over a year ago when I did the t-stat but I never posted about it because at the time there was a very large "Zoomers suck because of flutter" sentiment going around. I figured if I posted that the flutter was almost gone I'd get beat to death with the "nuh-uh" stick.

I'm also running stock tips. Glad my results weren't isolated.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I noticed this also on mine over a year ago when I did the t-stat but I never posted about it because at the time there was a very large "Zoomers suck because of flutter" sentiment going around. I figured if I posted that the flutter was almost gone I'd get beat to death with the "nuh-uh" stick.

I'm also running stock tips. Glad my results weren't isolated.
That's awesome! With that t-stat and some liquid cement between the gaps in the tips, it really took care of the flutter. Glad I hear some more feedback from people who got the same results. :bigthumb:

Interesting! I didn't notice any difference when I installed my 180* t-stat. I really don't understand the hate with the Zoomers flutter, I like it.
Hmmm, curious, did you also adjust your fan speeds when you installed your thermostat? Also are you using stock tips or the Mopar quads?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Weird---maybe I'm losing it, but I had always thought that owners claimed there was no flutter with Zoomers.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Weird---maybe I'm losing it, but I had always thought that owners claimed there was no flutter with Zoomers.
All have flutter to some degree. Tons with the quad tips, less with the OEM tips, and NONE with the $350 Zoomer tips (ha!).

With a 180* t-stat (with lowered fan speeds), and OEM tips the flutter is barely there, even standing right behind the car! :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The exhaust gases on a Zoomers catback comes out at an extremely high velocity, any sort of gap or obstruction to the flow will cause the tips to flutter. This high volume of flow is due to the venturi effect that occurs in the muffler. It ensures proper scavenging of exhaust gases from the pipes.

The air exiting the tips bounces off any gaps or or wider areas thus producing flutter.

This can all be minimized using the stock tips and getting a cooler thermostat. Adding some muffler cement between the edge of the tailpipe where it meets the tip helps a lot too.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
How the heck does a T-stat reduce exhaust gases? I don't see how it could reduce the combustion temperature of the gas in the cylinder. It is what it is.

It would seem to me that once the exhaust system is to temp, no thermostat is gonna reduce that temperature or can it it??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts