Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a 180 Degree T-Stat have an impact on a Challenger's emission control system or create an issue with regard to emission testing?

·
Registered
988 Posts
It shouldn't.... But, you will need a way to reset the fan speeds otherwise it is waste of time and money. $300 tuner for a $12 T Stat :(

Here in TX they hook a test machine to check your system. Assuming you have no codes set you should be OK. Now if you have a sniffer test that may be a different animal. But, the O2 sensors should handle that.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I readjusted the fan speed with my Predator and it works like a charm. I just didn't know if I need to drop the stock t-stat back in for smog check purposes.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Not all 180° thermostats are equal. It seems that some of them keep the engine closer to 180°F than others. Mine keeps the engine between 188° and 192° most of the time and never throws a check engine light. However, some people have reported check engine lights from "underheating" engines when switching to 180° thermostats. If the engine is cooled closer to 180°, then the light may come on.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Not all 180° thermostats are equal. It seems that some of them keep the engine closer to 180°F than others. Mine keeps the engine between 188° and 192° most of the time and never throws a check engine light. However, some people have reported check engine lights from "underheating" engines when switching to 180° thermostats. If the engine is cooled closer to 180°, then the light may come on.
yup. my autozone 4128 threw codes for coolant temp but the napa didnt. they register very close bouncing around 180. manufacturing tolerances will affect the opening point so theres variation in the same brand and model number

·
Registered
645 Posts
I had a 180, but on cold days, if I didn't let it warm up before driving it, I would get the check engine light. winter time gas mileage was not the best either. I switched back to the stock stat, all is fine now. I will use the 180 for summer time and racing. A 190 would be ideal if there happens to be one out there.

·
Registered
533 Posts
yup. my autozone 4128 threw codes for coolant temp but the napa didnt. they register very close bouncing around 180. manufacturing tolerances will affect the opening point so theres variation in the same brand and model number
What temperatures do you have your fan settings at? I have mine between 185° and 190°, depending on the type of setting. I basically took all the stock settings and decreased them by 25° (205° minus 180°). Are yours set nearer to 180°?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts