Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the JET 180 degree thermostat and reduced the temps where the fans kick in. At idle on a 90 degree day, the fluid temps stayed right around 185ish. I also bumped the speed limiter (bet ya didn't know the SRT8 had a speed limiter) from the factory set 185MPH to 190MPH. Yeah, I know I'll never see that kind of speed, but it was fun moving the setting anyway.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sealant ?

I think in older cars a sealant was required...

I got my Tstat today and it has a nice rubber gasket around it....so I suppose sealant is not needed ?

·
Registered
953 Posts
I think in older cars a sealant was required...

I got my Tstat today and it has a nice rubber gasket around it....so I suppose sealant is not needed ?
Sorry I never got that Tstat number for you coolntn, I completly forgot about it until now. I see you bought now.
They are a breeze to install, there is a video link here somewhere that works very good for installing it. No sealant is required on the rubber seal.

·
Registered
95 Posts
No problem at all...

No problem...I was able to find it elsewhere, but thank you for the offer.

Ok, as I though...sealeant isn't required.

I think it's a no brainer...but will try and find the video your talking about just for reference.

Thanks a ton :cowsmile:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ok, just got it installed. Weather is really crappy outside today and through the weekend. So a good time to do it.

Definitely need a zip back under the connection the whole time (2nd set of hands really nice). Once you get the 2 bolts undone and you think the fluid has stopped coming out...then pull out the old Tstat...fluid starts flowing again.

Keep the bag under there during the whole operation...otherwise you lose some like I did. At most you'll probably have a full sandwich bag full of fluid...so get a bigger bag in case it's a bit more.

And I did this when the engine was dead cold.

Thanks all for the info. Not a bad, cheap and quick change.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
This might sound silly but, what kind of store do I have to go to nowadays to get a 180 stat? General auto parts store? Speed shop? I went to a parts source store today and all they had was replacement stats with no temp ratings. Kinda what I expected. In the good old days, you always had a choice of three different temps and a premium stat too. Perhaps they think today's brain dead masses can't possibly understand the differences.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
Vendors on here have them.

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
This might sound silly but, what kind of store do I have to go to nowadays to get a 180 stat? General auto parts store? Speed shop? I went to a parts source store today and all they had was replacement stats with no temp ratings. Kinda what I expected. In the good old days, you always had a choice of three different temps and a premium stat too. Perhaps they think today's brain dead masses can't possibly understand the differences.
I would suggest the Jet 180 t-stat it cost a little more but you get what you pay for also if you don't have the predator tuner then don't bother as you cannot change the fan settings without the predator. Most of the vendors are includingthe t-stat with the predator.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I would suggest the Jet 180 t-stat it cost a little more but you get what you pay for also if you don't have the predator tuner then don't bother as you cannot change the fan settings without the predator. Most of the vendors are includingthe t-stat with the predator.
I do have the predator. I know how to change the fan settings but, I don't know which setting or why. I know that since installing the 93 tune, my fans are on a lot which makes me think I need the 180 stat.

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
I do have the predator. I know how to change the fan settings but, I don't know which setting or why. I know that since installing the 93 tune, my fans are on a lot which makes me think I need the 180 stat.
you are correct on that I saw a thread that the guys were talking about the settings I'll see if I can find it. I tought it was under performance modifications.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
What does the 180 stat do for performance?

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Order up a Jet 180* and then set you fans to these temps and you will be good to go.

HS-192*
LS- 183*
MS- 192*

These are how the fan speeds are set in the custom tune I paid for.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i've installed the predator with the 91 oct tune for CAI (techco CAI) and defiantely notice that the fans are on and pretty noisy. and i know how to change the fan settings.
i just wanted to know if this is the right thing to do.

and i haven't installed my 180 stat only because i wasn't sure exactly how it helps performance.

i know that cold air = more dense = more oxygen which = bigger boom

but why 180 stat

if some one with a little experience in this area would help me out with a few details it would be great.

ps- ANYONE WHO OWNS A PREDATOR NEEDS TO LOOK AT THIS SITE
Diablosport Predator
it will tell you just about everything you need to know about the predator.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I now a Jet 180 stat. The car runs faster & cooler and there are no more noisy fans, just one quiet fan occasionally just like stock. If you have the predator, you need the stat for sure.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
i've installed the predator with the 91 oct tune for CAI (techco CAI) and defiantely notice that the fans are on and pretty noisy. and i know how to change the fan settings.
i just wanted to know if this is the right thing to do.

and i haven't installed my 180 stat only because i wasn't sure exactly how it helps performance.

i know that cold air = more dense = more oxygen which = bigger boom

but why 180 stat

if some one with a little experience in this area would help me out with a few details it would be great.

ps- ANYONE WHO OWNS A PREDATOR NEEDS TO LOOK AT THIS SITE
Diablosport Predator
it will tell you just about everything you need to know about the predator.
I've discussed this with several folks and I'm not convinced it does anything. It "might" but I've not seen anyone prove it. The car running cooler might help the timing advance a tad more which would pick up a few horses, but other than that I can't see it doing much.

Having said that, it is cheap, so I don't guess it's a big deal.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
So there is no way around the noisy fans when tuned with the Predator? I don't wanna have to buy a 180 t-stat

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
The SRT engineers just confirmed that a 180 T-Stat is a waste of money:

http://www.challengertalk.com/forum...ssion-05-13-09-a-17860/index2.html#post256552

Just as I thought.

Same with the 85mm TB as well. The exhaust is the bottleneck on this car, specifically the cats.
Just so you know the srt team will not condone so much as an aftermarket brake pad. They damn sure are not going to suggest an aftermarket engine part. The 180 stat just keeps the temps from climbing so high. They say the car runs at 212. That is BS. I had my car out in 70 degree weather and it climbed to 220 no problem with semi aggressive driving. Imagine with hotter weather. They then go on to say at the lower temps there is less spark advance under 200. Also BS. All one has to do is datalog with a predator to show that with temps over 200 the motor pulls timing. I didn't even go that far. When my car was bone stock in 65 degrees I did many 0-60 runs with both a g-tech and the onboard and when the motor was under 200 degrees I was running consistant 4.9's. On the same exact stretch with the motor at full operating temp I could not break 5.2. With the 180 stat alone the car will creep just over 200 with extremely hard driving but it comes down quick. After the install on the same day I could run 4.9-5.0 all day long. Now I know that is not the most scientific test but it is good enough for me. This mod does not add power but it does keep the computer from pulling timing due to heatsoak. They also say that if it does not get over 200 you are not out of the warm up loop. Then why are there no codes? In any of my srt vehicles? I have been reading these srt chat threads for a long time. They have really become a joke. Any serious questions always get pushed aside. Ask them about the spraying coolant that almost every srt jeep suffers from. Yet none of them have seen or heard of it. You will get zero intelligent responses. I could go on and on about them but it all comes down to them answering to a higher power. We would like to think that they are here to help us with our cars to make them better but unless you are leaving them stock they don't want any part of it. As far as the 85mm tb has that not been dyno and street proven by many people already?

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Just so you know the srt team will not condone so much as an aftermarket brake pad. They damn sure are not going to suggest an aftermarket engine part. The 180 stat just keeps the temps from climbing so high. They say the car runs at 212. That is BS. I had my car out in 70 degree weather and it climbed to 220 no problem with semi aggressive driving. Imagine with hotter weather. They then go on to say at the lower temps there is less spark advance under 200. Also BS. All one has to do is datalog with a predator to show that with temps over 200 the motor pulls timing. I didn't even go that far. When my car was bone stock in 65 degrees I did many 0-60 runs with both a g-tech and the onboard and when the motor was under 200 degrees I was running consistant 4.9's. On the same exact stretch with the motor at full operating temp I could not break 5.2. With the 180 stat alone the car will creep just over 200 with extremely hard driving but it comes down quick. After the install on the same day I could run 4.9-5.0 all day long. Now I know that is not the most scientific test but it is good enough for me. This mod does not add power but it does keep the computer from pulling timing due to heatsoak. They also say that if it does not get over 200 you are not out of the warm up loop. Then why are there no codes? In any of my srt vehicles? I have been reading these srt chat threads for a long time. They have really become a joke. Any serious questions always get pushed aside. Ask them about the spraying coolant that almost every srt jeep suffers from. Yet none of them have seen or heard of it. You will get zero intelligent responses. I could go on and on about them but it all comes down to them answering to a higher power. We would like to think that they are here to help us with our cars to make them better but unless you are leaving them stock they don't want any part of it. As far as the 85mm tb has that not been dyno and street proven by many people already?
Actually, you're incorrect. They recommended several aftermarket "add-ons". Go read the thread.

The did say specifically that larger throttle bodies and thermostats are a waste of money.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts